| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great time at the Lakeland Florida Steel Guitar Show
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2010 7:59 am    

What a great weekend with some old friends and also meeting some wonderful new friends. Congratulations to Haywood Henson, Dewey Walker, and all who made this event a success.

The turnout was very good and the players were top notch. The staff band was 'right on', too.

The proceedings kicked off with a young artist, Cory Walker, who instantly grabbed the crowd with his big voice - especially for a 16 year-old! He did some new tunes, some Haggard and Tillis, and closed with the Ernest Tubb classic, "Soldier's Last Letter", the lyrics updated for today.

Thanks to Chet Gibson for inviting me to play bass on his sets. After hearing Chet, Bob Taillefer, Mike Sweeney, Herby Wallace, Tommy Dodd and Wally Murphy 'tear it up', I considered selling my psg gear. (Naw, I'm gonna keep plugging away, anyway!)

It was great to see and hear the Florida Steel Guitar Club so well represented at the show. Good job, guys.

Had a great time picking with Jim Frable, Wayne Lewis, Jim Hartley, Bill Cunningham, Royce Morgan, Dewey Walker, Lonnie Portwood, Red Kilby, Keith Portwood, Haywood Henson, and Bob Strickland on this fun weekend in Lakeland.

Looking forward to next year's show,
John L.

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2010 6:24 pm    

I saw the show Saturday night, and I agree, with everything you have said. I think it was the best I've ever been to. Some fine pickers were on that stage that night. Herby has always been one of my heros and I told him so. Larry
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2010 7:31 pm    

My old friend and former bandmate Blue Grayson called and said indeed it was a great show. Hang in there, Jody.
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 4:41 am    

John..

It was indeed a great show. So much talent under one roof. It was a pleasure for me to be a part of it.
The playing was exceptional as well as the back up band. Looking for next year.

JD
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 5:02 am    

Wish I could have been there to cheer you on, Jack, but was playing in Ocala with Debbie Myers. Hope to see you Wed. at Catfish Johnnie's. Very Happy
Fred
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2010 6:55 pm    

I just wanted to add what a great time I had at Lakeland. Haywood does a nice job putting together the show.

AND, in addition to being a fine bass player, ole John LeMaster did a nice job singing some Buck Owens tunes! I hope to see you and all the other great folks I met there again soon. Very Happy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2010 3:23 am    

Although Jack, John and I were "first out of the chute" I had a good time there. Haywood told me he would like to have a second show each year with just Steel Guitar pickers from the state of Florida. I hope he can pull it off. There are a lot of good pickers throughout the state.
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 6:53 am    

I, too had a great time at the Lakeland show. And also a great surprise to me was the presence of 9 members of my family for my set on Sunday afternoon. They were distant cousins and 2nd cousins I had not seen for years. That's the largest assembly of family members to hear me play ever (with the exception of a family reunion of course!) at one time. My thanks to Haywood and all his supporters for putting on a really good venue. Great players on the show, great backup band, and a very appreciative crowd. I hope I get another invitation if they decide to do it again.
Austin Preston

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2010 9:21 pm     Florida Steel Guitar Show

I would also like to add my two cents worth. This years show was a blast! The pickers were top notch and the steel fans here in Florida are some of the best in the world! It was an honor opening the show Sunday playing some of my favorite Gospel music. It was great to see one of my steel hero's, Herby Wallace and seeing/ meeting Bob, Tommy, Mike, Chet and Wally. These guys just blew me away! Thanks to all that attended and a big "Thank You!" to Haywood for the invite. Lookin' Forward to next year!