| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss FDR1 issue
Peter Jackson

Midcoast Maine, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 10:08 am    

OK, I have a new Boss FDR1. It runs through my Peavey Session 400 ltd eq loop. The problem is the FDR1 emits reverb explosions poeradically. It’s as if I lift up my amp and drop it and the reverb tank explodes. I’m using a GFI econcmy, three cord hookup,Goodrich VP.
The dealer I got the Boss through got me a new one thinking 1st one was defective,but 2nd FDR1 has the reverb explosions as well. The explosions seem to happen while I’m picking. Any ideas on what is happening?
Thanks!
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 11:18 am    

Keep in mind that effects loop is way hotter than a guitar signal! That large signal is probably driving the poor little guy nuts!

specs:

Nominal Input Level for the Boss
-20 dBu v =.077 volts RMS
Input Impedance
1 MΩ

EQ loop on the S-400 limited:

Pre EQ nominal output -12dBv = 0.25 RMS (3 times hotter than the pedals input is rated)

Effects 1 and 2 nominal output -10dBv = 0.3 RMS (still around 4 times too much signal)

Nominal is an average operating level, as I recall most musical equipment has about a 10 db headroom level for transient peak signals. Usually 10 db for live music and 20 db headroom for recording situations.
Peter Jackson

Midcoast Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2010 4:15 am    

Thanks Ken, I'm trying the FDR1 between VP and amp. Hope I didn't damage it. What would I plug into eq loop ,just curious.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2010 5:49 am    

There are rack processors that will take more input without distorting (as some have actual input pads and output level controls). Most guitar pedals are designed for approximately pickup level signals, these so called effects loops in amps can often overdrive the pedals.

Some amps have actual level controls on the effects loops to overcome that problem.

One of the "features" of most digitally modeled spring reverb effects is the reverb tank splat. I am sure this is actuated by a larger than normal input signal. I would think you effects loop was just getting it into that voltage range to often and too quickly. I doubt any damage was done.
Peter Jackson

Midcoast Maine, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2010 9:43 am    

Well, over the wknd, I put the FDR1 between VP and amp. Got the above mentioned reverb explosions. Put FDR1 between guitar and VP. More explosions.This is all through my practice amp,a Fender Ultimate Chorus. No 3 cord hookup here. I am trying to get through to Boss but am beginning to think this Boss FDR1 ain't gonna work. Ken,thanks so much for your input.
Any other ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2010 12:37 pm    

wow this is strange, i thought reverb explosions were caused by the springs or tank being banged around, and this pedal has no springs or tank...must be a REALLY good clone!

we used to play For Those about to Rock by AC/DC and when it was time for the cannons, Id kick my amp with built in reverb to get the cannon explosions.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2010 12:47 pm    

Some of the reverb pops are built into this pedal by design. Read here for example:

Fender Community Forum

On my RV-5 I avoid the "Spring" settings which has these "pops" built in. On the other settings there are no reverb crashes at all.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 3:23 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Some of the reverb pops are built into this pedal by design...

The random crashes can be a bit unsettling. Whoever came up with that idea should be run out of town on a rail... Evil or Very Mad

There are several new reverb pedals built around the Belton DigiLab module. I picked up a Malekko Spring Chicken before they were discontinued last summer and have been very pleased with it. I like it better than the ss or tube driven reverbs on many of the modern amps I have played. (Of course nothing compares to the Fender Blackface amps and their standalone reverb units.)

As soon as you buy one gadget you will find that an even better pedal has become available. True reverb connoisseurs have abandoned the Spring Chicken and moved on to the WET reverb pedal:

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/wet-reverb

This company also designed the Belton module although the WET pedal uses entirely different circuitry. The WET pedal does not emulate a spring reverb- it just produces all sorts of lush reverbs.

However, a lot of people are sticking with the Spring Chicken because it is about as close to an old Fender reverb design as you can get from a digital chip. (You can also hook up an expression pedal to control the amount of reverb.)

Just my 2 cents...

Steve Ahola

www.blueguitar.org

P.S. Looking at the Malekko site I see that they have come out with a true pitch vibrato pedal... like the old Magnatone amps that Lonnie Mack and Robert Ward played through. Or all of that pitch shifty stuff that Jimi Hendrix and the Beatles did way back when. It might not be a bad idea to hook one of those pedals up instead of a delay in Mark Dunn's Steel Guitar Mixer...

http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/index.php/all-effects-pedals/vibrato

Yeah, I guess I am a total fanatic about all of this electronic stuff... Whoa!
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 7:17 am    

Hi Steve
I remember you from Ampage when I used to frequent that site a few years ago. Nice to see you here. You playing some steel these days?..Jerry Fletcher
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 11:56 am    

J Fletcher wrote:
Hi Steve
I remember you from Ampage when I used to frequent that site a few years ago. Nice to see you here. You playing some steel these days?..Jerry Fletcher

I thought that your name looked familiar- I saved a thread on lap steel tunings from AMPAGE back in 2002 and you had recommended your own tuning of D D# F# G# B D# based on the E9 pedal steel tuning with the "D" knee lever engaged (the one that drops the E's to Eb).

I'm giving pedal steel one more shot- I just picked up a professional model Sho-Bud S-10 from the early 70's. (I had bought Sho-Bud and Dekley student models in the late 70's but they were just too short for me.)

Steve Ahola
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 3:42 pm    

Steve
Good luck with the steel, perseverance is the key....Jerry