| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remembering Ben Brogdon
Larry Self

Spring City, Tn. Bledsoe * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 11:05 am    

It has been a year since Ben passed, on Jan. 18th. 2009.Ben played bass on many of the Steel guitar shows.Ben was not only a great bass player, but a good man with a wonderful sence of humor. I miss him dearly, and I'm sure those of you who knew him, and played music with him feel his loss. miss you pal. Larry Self
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 1:55 pm    

I think of Ben often, his passing was way too soon.
Great bass player and super nice guy.
Wayne
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 7:32 pm    

Ben was my "buddy" and bandmate for many years. What a great player but more so a great person. I'll remember the day Ben passed away each year because he died on my mother's birthday. Rest in peace our friend and be with The Lord.
We miss you dearly,
...Roy and Barbara
P.S. Thanks Larry for reminding others on the forum of what a great guy Ben was. Our best to you and Angie.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 7:42 pm    

I miss Ben. Still can't believe he's gone.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 11:57 pm    

I only met him a couple of months before he died, at the Phoenix show. Some of you may recall that I was in the throes of a severe allergic reaction to something, and appeared to be very ill. Ben, not knowing this was an allergy rather than an illness, was very concerned, despite the fact that we had not previously met.

We became friends at that show, and then he was suddenly gone, much too young.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 7:42 am    

Ben was truly "one of a kind," as a musician, friend, and human being. We played quite a few steel shows together and, without exaggeration, his presence was one of the things I most enjoyed about some of these events.

He was one of the funniest men on the planet, even when he wasn't trying to be! The last show we played together was ISGC 2008. I was handing out charts onstage just before my set started, and the first song was the old standard "At Sundown." Ben allowed as how he was unfamiliar with the tune, but since my instructions said "swing your ass off," he told me "THAT I can do." I told him that I hoped he could because I've never played the song onstage before. He replied "I just KNEW we had something in common!" Laughing

Ben, forgive me, but this one I gotta tell: The year Herby Wallace was inducted into the HOF, about 30 of us were sitting in the restaurant at the long table that was reserved for us at the end of the show. Ben walked up late, and there was a discussion going on about health issues for aging men. Ben, standing there, joined in by saying quite seriously "tell me about it. We found a lump on my prostate, so I went to a doctor for a second opinion." (italics mine) There was a long pause, then a bunch of us just cracked up. Laughing Ben was totally clueless about what we were laughing at, then realized what he'd said and tried to explain it in a better way, but we were already laughing too hard to hear it!

Ben sent me hundreds of jokes in emails. Everyone does this, but I have a folder in which I've saved every one of Ben's jokes. They were always the absolute best.

That only follows suit, because Ben was the absolute best. Rest easy my brother, I miss you at every show.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 7:57 am    

Hey Mr. Grammar Policeman (Herb),

Great story!

We had breakfast with Ben and Jim Cohen at Scotty's just before Ben died. Ben talked about his aunts being school teachers - giving them credit for his interest in good grammar. Jim and Ben had us in stitches! I absolutely loved his accent, and could have listened to him talk all day!

Does anyone know how Ben's wife is doing?
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 9:53 am    

I was off the internet all last winter and early spring so I missed the announcement about Ben's passing and only learned about it last fall.

I always enjoyed Ben's playing so much. Memories of him playing at the conventions especially with Herby, when the band really stretched out and traded bars around. Those swing and big band tunes honked and Ben's solos were off the meter. He always seemed to be having a great time. Although I only knew him casually through the music shows, I was sorry to hear of his passing and I know he is missed greatly and thought of fondly.
Larry Self

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 12:02 pm    

Thank to all of you for responding. it brings back good warm memories. thank you Roy & Barbara. would love to see you. what a rhythm section we had in choo-choo, with Roy Rosetta -Paul Polish,-and Ben Brogdon.you were a super trio. Donna, I speak with Jayne via -E- mail once in awhile, and she say's she is doing o.k. said her job keeps her busy. Mr. Herb, I owe you a TEXAS cup of coffee for trying to help me find Jimmy Day's resting place, while I was in San antonia a few yrs back. My thank's to all of you. keep the music going.Love Larry & Angie
Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2010 5:23 pm    

My good friend Bb.
He was one of the voices that pushed me to go record the CD. When I sent Ben an email, I ask him if I could afford to have him play on it, in his usual attitude, I received back "What is this afford, a new cuss word". Ben played his butt off on the Cd and I even had a remix to bring up the bass on some of the tunes.
Naturally, he wouldn't accept any pay for the session and offered great support in the studio, along with the huimor to keep it light.
I still miss him with monotonous regularity.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2010 7:14 am    

MR BEN

Yesterday was the Yuma Jam and last year as I walked up I was told about Ben's passing - SHOCK to say the least.

Herb I have to share one too -

Everybody were talking about their CD's so then next year I was first on the Phoenix Show and after I finished my set I announced that Ben and I were selling CD's ---- he had the stranges look on his face ------ then I announced that they were blank CD's and that we had planty with more right aroung the corner. For the next few years no matter what show I went to Ben would show up and tug on my shirt sleeve and say, "Where is my royalty money you own me." in a very stern voice but with that 1/2 a smile on his face. Then in Dallas year before last (and the last time I saw Ben) he came up and said that and 2 GREAT BIG guys looked me like I was scum for not paying the man his money. He laughed so hard his face turned RED and he finally told them the whole story - then we all had a BIG laugh.

Ben the show is coming up in Pheonix and you will be missed - yes the Bass playing (but we know we have some more great base players) but simply YOU.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2010 8:43 am    

Ben will be missed, but not forgotten. I still have his email address in my contact list, just hate to remove it. Ben was one human that was full of what I call spirit, he always had a smile on his face and a funny story to tell. I still laugh at some of the things he told me about some of the his days on the road, I know some of the people he told the stories on and that makes it more interesting. I also know why he was so crazy, I know his college room mate, and that guy would drive anyone nuts.

Yes Ben may be gone, but not forgotten RIP my friend

Mike
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2010 2:45 pm    

"what a rhythm section we had in choo-choo"

Ok, Larry, why not let's start it up again. We need a large show in the south.
Why heck, I bet our GaGSA would be willing to do a lot of the work for you.

Your friend (and sound guy)
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2010 6:31 pm    

I some how do not remember the passing of Ben. It may have happened while I was down on internet service. Herby Wallace has a video out where he plays Route 66. On the song it sounds like a horn and the camera goes over to the bass player who is making the horn sound with his voice. Was that Ben on the video? If so I am sure surprised that he has passed on. From the comments here he was a good person to be around and a very good bass player.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2010 5:18 am    

Yes that was Ben. He was one of the best "scatters" ever.

Ben passed away suddenly in his sleep last January.
I was fortunate to be able to fight the frigid snow in Sevierville to attend Ben's funeral.

He looked just like he went to sleep. No trauma.

Bill Ferguson
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2010 8:46 am    

I was lucky enough to have Ben (and Roy) back me up at one of LT's shows in Grand Rapids. Or was it the other way around Very Happy An experience I'll not soon forget!
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2010 5:39 pm    

I am shocked to hear of his passing. I remember watching videos with Ben on bass guitar and thinking that bass player is rock solid. I guess going to sleep and not waking up would be the way to go. I am sure Ben is missed greatly by family and friends.
Larry Self

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 10:59 am    

I knew Ben for just a few short year's, but I would like to say, it was like a long time friendship. Ben was a wonderful person & friend. alway's in a (let's get-er done)mode.I'll remember Ben for the kind person he was first, but when it come's to music, he was SOLID. he enjoyed what he did, and it showed. a great sence of humor. I have to agree with what's been posted. thank you Herby Wallace for introducing us. R.I.P. Hello Bill, I have thought about in since the last show.I'm just not as sure of my self as I used to be. they tell me it's old age,but we know better. muchlove to you all. keep the music playing. GOD Bless Larry
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2010 10:52 pm     Ben Brogden

I sure miss seeing and hearing him play and his funny one liners and stories.Bet he has Heaven in stiches by now. i Miss ya my friend ,you left a mighty big Hole in my heart.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2010 6:57 pm    

We miss him so very much. No other like him.
Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 1:32 pm    

I first met Ben at the TSGA show a few years ago. As a bassist, I knew I just had to meet this rock solid bass man.
He was so encouraging to me as I was so afraid of the 5 stringed monsters as he played with ease. I will never forget him and will always remember his kind words.
Rodney " Buckshot " Garrison

---Will Rogers---
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2010 7:09 am     Ben

I loved Ben,,,,,still do.
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2010 6:33 pm     Ben

Ben was a great Bass man , a great human being and a great friend and he was strictly one of a kind. When him, Roy and Paul was on the band stand , I knew I was safe, Smile

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2010 8:47 pm     Re: Ben

Buck Grantham wrote:
... When him, Roy and Paul was on the band stand , I knew I was safe, Smile

Buck, no truer words have been spoken. When you had that trio behind you, all was right with the world and the set we were about to play.

Add Bobby Caldwell and you could sail home on angel's wings.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2010 6:24 pm     Ben.....................

He was a great guy and I miss him as well.