| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Jim Murphy
Lou Colbert

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2010 4:59 am    

It's hard to believe Murph's been gone five years today.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2010 9:21 pm    

Lou, he's not really gone because he's still very alive in my memories and in my heart! I miss ole' Murph almost daily but I can always listen to some of his live performances and remember all of the good times we had and even a few of the bad one's all couped up in his old yeller and white carry all GMC with 6 or 9 pickers crammed in there with enough equipment to start a music store :-O) Oh yeah in the middle of July with his AC running on full blast meaning all windows down LOL!!

God bless you Murph I'll bet you;re still making faces at me when I hit a clunker!!

Big Bob

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 2:01 pm    

Thank you , Big Bob, for your comments. Murph was so much fun. When the family gathers, oh, the stories!!!.. and of course, Brenda and I always enjoy reminiscing the good times and the good music.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 8:53 pm    

Lou, when you see Brenda again please tell her Big Bob said howdy she's a sweet lady!!!

Bob

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 2:06 pm    

I have a bunch of Murph's recordings with paycheck and a few other solo tracks from years back, much of which is out of print and I've posted here before. If anyone could supply me with some more of Murph's stuff I'd be very greatful. I did see him at a few shows where he was just warming up and playing off the cuff stuff. His tone and execution in a live setting just defy reality. Very few people can duplicate his tone and foot volume work.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 1:48 am    

Hey Greg, if I can get permission from Murph's NOK I'd be glad to share with you. I have some great club stuff he ever played on and a few live shows when he was with various artists. I'm sure you're like me you have most of the public releases but some of my stuff has never been released and I sure wouldn't want to take some of his private material that I have no legal rights to and pass it out only to find that his NOK was planning on making some copies available to the public in a package and charge to help his family. So give me a while to check with some of the family that I know or used to know Smile and I'll post back here. I hope you don't think I'm being stingy but I'd hate to get caught giving away a bunch of stuff that could be for sale at some point. I can tell you this for sure if Murph was my brother or closest relative and I had the rights to his music I'd be compiling a CD with all of his obscure music played in the clubs for the last 15 to 20 years. Trust me there is some great stuff with him and Redd burning it up :-)some of it is very high quality and some is just so-so and would need quite a bit of work to release bit it could be done.

Bob

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 8:16 am    

Thanks Bob! I had some reel to reel tapes of a few different steel players jamming with Ray Price in what sounded like someones house. They seemed to be mono and and mic had to sitting on top of the steel man's amp. We got these tapes from a guy in Canada and they are long gone now. That was the first time I ever heard a steel guitar recorded so clearly and the calrity of the players' technique really became apparent. You can email me privately if you wish regarding Murph's tapes.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger