| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Superslide or Sierra Lap
Jim Pivarnik

Port Townsend WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 3:06 pm    

Looking to buy a quality 8 stringer and wanted to know experiences of users. These two brands look pretty nice. Do they play as nice as they look? What say you?
Very Happy
Fender Deluxe reverb
Gold Tone 8 string
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 4:38 pm    

I've never played the MSA. I have a Sierra Laptop and it has the best sound of any steel guitar I've ever played. Just beautiful. It is heavy, though. I'd suggest ordering one with legs.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 5:31 pm    

I checked out everything I could find. Went through 30's bakelite Rickenbachers and swamp ash Fender stringmasters and all the new guitars available. The hands down winner to my ear was the Clinesmith. He makes a fantastic lap steel I use as well as his consoles.

http://www.clinesmithinstruments.com/

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=162120&highlight=clinesmith

http://www.steelinfromthemasters.com/

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 11:39 pm    

Bob, are the Clinesmith console steels much heavier than Stringmasters?

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2010 5:37 am    

I've got to agree with Bob here. While I did own a Sierra S8 for a while (it was an excellent guitar) and I have not played a Superslide, the Clinesmiths I've owned are the cream of the crop, both in quality and in sound. The lapsteel in the video on my website is a walnut Clinesmith and has such a rich, beautiful sound. The feel of the Clinesmith is also worth mentioning--its playability rivals any instrument I've ever played.

Tom, to answer your question, I believe a Clinesmith with wood necks would be about equal to a Stringmaster. The cabinet is not quite as thick as a Fender, but the ends have cast aluminum. The one with the aluminum neck might be a little heavier but probably not by much, although the case might contribute as well.

Thanks for the link, Bob.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2010 7:43 am    

Quote:
are the Clinesmith console steels much heavier than Stringmasters?

My D8 console Clinesmith with metal necks weighs around 35 lbs in a flight case. I'll be on the west coast with Wayne Hancock in a few weeks. Get in touch and we can make time for you to check the steels out if you like.

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2010 10:11 am    

I agree with Bob and Mike, the Clinesmith is the way to go.

The MSA and Sierra are fine instruments, however IMHO they both have a sound similar to a modern pedal steel.

Here's my Clinesmith.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2010 2:19 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Quote:
are the Clinesmith console steels much heavier than Stringmasters?

35 lbs in a flight case. .

Gosh, that ain't bad.

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 8:41 am     Clinesmith

My vote goes for Clinesmith.

I am in agreement with my friend Bob Hoffner and Mike Neer. Todd is sooooo awesome to work with and the sound and playability are both phenomenal.

After my motorcycle accident in July (Broke my back in 7 places) I was left with my legs not working any more... So I needed a lap steel that would work for me with sound, feel, light weight, playability...etc... and the Clinesmith has it all.

Henceforth I had Todd build me the most awesome 10 string lap steel (photos forthcoming)
This guitar has been a lifesaver for me as I am able to play again. This is part of my physical and mental therapy on a daily basis.

My best to all!!!
Sincerely,

Kurt Kowalski

10 string Clinesmith Lap Steel
Kurt Kowalski

Kendall, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 9:32 am     10 String Clinesmith photo

Here is a pic of my "baby" my 10 string Clinesmith

Sound is KILLER...

Kurt

Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 9:40 am    

Hi Jim. I am still learning how to play the steel guitar, but aren't we all. I think I am past the buy every steel you can and they end up stacked up against the wall. Or maybe not. That being said, I actually play a MSA Superslide. I have never played the Sierra. I am assuming you were interested in getting member feedback on these laptop steels, but somehow the thread started comparing Heavy consoles.
I really enjoy playing the Superslide. It has a composite body (lighter than a bakelite Rick B8)and the neck can be converted from 6 strings to 8 strings, to 10 strings and 12 strings. It is well made in the USA and the craftmanship is excellent. It is extremely easy to play with wider string spacing, colored fret markers, and superslide. To my ears, it has excellent voicing and tone and it makes me sound better than I am. I highly recommend getting the light weight aluminum stand. Anyway, I hope this has been helpful. Would I buy another one? You bet. An 8 string Hawaiian blue with colored fret markers. The Superslide is small and light enough to put into a baritone ukulele case (nylon fabric/foam case) and carryon the plane. Ever try to travel with a Rick Bakelite or a console? Ugh.
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 1:15 pm    

Like Bob Hoffnar mentioned I too have tried alot of steels (Fender,Gibson,Superslide to name a few) I found the tone and feel I was looking for in the Clinesmith.

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 3:59 pm    

Great looking stand. Did Todd make that for you or that one of your own creations?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 5:35 pm    

Thanks Steve
Yes I make and sell them, custom fit to your steel. I'll have a web on them page up soon.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 5:50 pm    

The MSA Superslide is really sharp looking, very contemporary, light and precision crafted. I liked mine a lot for some types of music. The tone is a lot like most modern pedal steel guitars.

It was very weak, however, at performing retro style music where you might want a fatter or fuller sound.

You have to decide what's most important to you before you can settle on one guitar.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Isaac Stanford

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 6:36 pm    

Those Clinesmiths look amazing. I gotta check one out sometime soon. I am really liking my SuperSlide. Here's a picture I posted to another MSA thread recently.
Ed Altrichter

Schroeder, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2010 11:39 pm    

I am so pleased with my SuperSlide ! I run it to my Peavy Nashville 112 through a "black box" and a little Roland "Micro Cube" amp, and it is lacking nothing for sound ! I like to Play the Honky-tonk
songs such as "Slowly" and others by Webb and Hank and Lefty. If I didn't have one, I would have to buy one ! Ed[/b]
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2010 12:59 pm    

Ed Altrichter - please elaborate. Are you using the micro cube as an effects device, and then running that signal into the Nashville 112? You say you like doing Webb & Hank & Lefty songs, so apparently you are getting a retro sound out of your set-up. What settings do you use on the micro-cube?
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 5:45 am    

The SuperSlide is my "Blues Bar Gunslinger" sidearm!!!! Suonds great in guitar amps at volume after I upgraded the pickup to a hot, single coil Wallace Trutone kindly specially designed by Wallace to fit the SS. By t he way, the second pick guard, the pearl paint job (expertly done by Kyle at MSA) and pearl knobs were my additions as well....