| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy's New JCH Unveiled!!
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 6:45 am    

Jimmie Crawford invited a few friends over for the unveiling of Buddy's New D-10/12 JCH last Thursday afternoon. It was a SUPER special event, to say the least. This day was definintely one of the highlights of of my life.

Buddy checked it out, fine tuned it, and the race was on. Buddy seemed very satisfied with it. The guitar has tone and playability to die for, it is also BLACK.

Here's a couple of pictures for you to enjoy.

L-R Standing: Jimmie Crawford, Buck Reid, Russ Hicks, Lloyd Green, Ron Elliott
L-R Seated: Mike Cass, "The Big E", Lynn Owsley, Smiley Roberts.

Image Hosting by Vendio
Click to view supersized image

Image Hosting by Vendio

Image Hosting by Vendio

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 12 June 2004 at 07:54 AM.]

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 7:41 am    

OK, I'll ask; what are the copedants and tunings for these necks? And what is the production time for this guitar? Thank you.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 9:43 am    

Wow a D10/12!!! How cool!

I had the good fortune last year to get to play some gigs with Gerry Hogan and check out his JCH in the UK, and my opinion is that it's a first rate instrument!

[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 12 June 2004 at 10:44 AM.]

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 9:54 am    

Jimmie Crawford builds a first rate guitar with the JCH. Nice to see the NTSGA Posse together. This is the way it should be.
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 1:16 pm    

I hate I missed it. Jimmie invited me but I had a gig. I'm glad I was working but I sure would have liked to have been there.

Mike
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2004 1:19 pm    

I think it is great to see all these guys together.That`s what I`m talking about,that is wonderful.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2004 2:35 pm    

Bob,

We meet at the 2002 Dallas show. Thanks much for sharing the photos, they are really neat!

cheers,
Drew Howard

------------------
Drew's Website

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 4:57 am    

I heard at St. Louis last September that there was a "big name" coming to the JCH family. I didn't realize it was the big name.

------------------
HagFan

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 5:45 am    

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does JCH stand for? What are the special features of this guitar?

When I was first starting out way back in the '70s, I once heard Jimmie Crawford play in his basement. I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but I was with Charlie Gore, a steeler from Bristol and Nashville who got me started. Jimmie had just done his Ton of Steel album and was awesome then as now.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 5:50 am    

JCH=Jimmie Crawford/John Hughey

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 14 June 2004 at 06:51 AM.]

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 7:55 am    

This was a very memorable occasion to say the least. We laughed and told old war stories and listened as Buddy tweaked his new guitar. It looks,feels and sounds AMAZING! To me it speaks innovation...from the D-10/12 design to the pedal changes that Buddy is currently experimenting with. I've been playing mine for a couple of years now and love it more now than ever! Tone and sustain are to die for and Jimmie's workmanship is superb!! Jimmie.....you've done it again my friend....but i for one am not surprised. Sincere thanks Jimmie,to you and all the guys for a great day in Steel Guitar Land!!
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 8:00 am    

Buddy,

Why would you want a guitar with a weird "Lynn Owsley" pattern like that on the end plates in that first pic?

Roy

===========================
Edited to spell Weird so it ain't Wired.

[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 14 June 2004 at 01:58 PM.]

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 8:42 am    

Roy,
Lynn has worn that shirt for ten years and I've grown quite fond of the pattern so I asked Jimmy to engrave it in the end plate. It was only fitting that we put Lynn next to the pattern to illustrate what a good job Jimmy did in matching it.
Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 8:51 am    

Buck,
It was a pleasure seeing you at the steel warming. As best I remember, I spent the last two hours telling you how great I was, so I thank you for being such a good listener.

[This message was edited by Buddy Emmons on 14 June 2004 at 09:58 AM.]

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 8:58 am    

Last thursday was 'a ton of fun' as Jimmy unveiled Buddie's 'ton of steel'....hey Jimmie, that would be a great title for a steel CD....I told Jimmy thursday that this is the best sounding JCH ever (because the Big E is playing it) but Jimmy knows that if I thought there was a better sounding guitar out there I would be playing it, and I know Buck Reid and all the other JCH players feel the same way....Jimmie Crawford is a perfectionist...player and builder and I'm sure it's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment for him to have "the world's foremost steel guitarist" endorse his guitar. I don't know if Buddie would have rather 'tweaked' his guitar in private, I don't think so, but I'm sure he knows that's the price he has to pay for having such a 'rogueish' bunch of followers. Thanks to Buddie and Jimmy for allowing us to share in the moment.
Buddy Emmons

Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 9:20 am    

It was a day to remember and I thank all the old cronies for taking the time to drop by. Three other gentlemen that didn’t make the picture are Billy Robinson, Robert Rogers, and his dad, Gary. Of course I thank my friend Bob Knight for participating in our afternoon of channeled insanity and also for taking the picture.

The 10/12 configuration called for redesigning the end plates, keyhead, neck, and cabinet. I’ve wanted a 10/12 guitar for some time now and sincerely appreciate Jimmy Crawford’s willingness to tackle the job. I must say he came through like a champ. The first time I sat down behind the guitar, it felt like it was mine.

The pedal spacing is 1/8” wider apart than normal; something Jimmy has put on a previous guitar and something I wanted. There are two more left knee levers and a ninth pedal I’m going to have to adjust to but it shouldn’t take long. One thing I won’t have a problem dealing with is full bodied silky highs and an incredible amount of sustain.

In rearranging my pedals A and C, I gave Jimmy a wrong knee lever combination for the new arrangement and had to leave the guitar there for him to correct it. When everything is in its proper place I’ll post the tuning and changes either here or Ernie’s site. Thanks for your interest.
Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 9:46 am    

Jimmy,Buddy, Thank you for an afternoon of fun visiting with old friends,It reminded me of the days at ShoBud when we would often gather for trial and error and to celebrate when someone got a new guitar...the end plate design is great...and Buddy and Roy if you like my shirt you too can get one...at
"Fathaiiwians Are Us" shops in Obese,Iowa
I'm having a new shirt made and would like to invite you all to party,please bring your guitar that matches it.
Congratulations on your new JCH guitar.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 6:18 pm    

I will be waiting for a CD on that new JCH guitar by Buddy.

That is a good idea 10-12, now Buddy can put his experimental C6 or E6 tuning on the 12 string bottom neck.

He is still young at heart and showing us the way...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2004 7:09 pm    

Buddy,are you kidding me? I could have charged admission for the seat that i was in listening to stories of past recordings and some of your creative ideas! I loved it!! And as best as i can remember, i was the one asking the questions. I'll cherish the memory forever!! Thanks so much and congratulations on your new guitar!
Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2004 6:50 am    

JC, Thank you so much for the invite, it's always a pleasure to be with such good friends and great players, as it has been over the many years. I enjoyed watching Buddy play the new JCH and listening to his comments about his "new baby". Jim, I think you've done good, and thanks again for including me in the unveiling. Ron
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2004 10:22 am    

What can I add that hasn't,already,been said?
It was a wonderful day,w/ wonderful people, reminiscent of the good ol' Sho~Bud days,sitting back in Shot's "green room" on Broadway,swappin' tales. I sure do miss those days.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2004 10:41 pm    

Agreeably, it was an excellent time, and certainely one of those events that will remain in my memory forever. But any opprotunity to hear the Big E is noteworthy, imho
Boys,I hate that I missed the hanging of the last dog but I had a long drive to make that night. Speaking of which;when after fooling a little with Buddy's new horn that day(he's so gracious:-)some 24 hours later I set up my stuff for a gig with Ray Price in Tulsa, and the very first thing I noticed was that although the guitar Im playing is a sweet one,the mids couldnt compare to the JCH.... and I spent the rest of the weekend thinking about that,Jimmie
Buck is correct;Buddy and JC have
incorporated some new innovations which we all seem to feel do add to the overall tonal characteristics in a most pleasing way.
I did a little setup work for Jimmie on that particular guitar,and the action is as good as Ive felt; my work notwithstanding.
I didnt mean to ramble on here, but I feel this is important news for PSG players who are looking for "that" tone with an all-pull mechanism.
I believe you can take her to the house James,'cause you got a lock on it...and thanks again for the invite

[This message was edited by Mike Cass on 15 June 2004 at 11:54 PM.]

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2004 12:32 pm    

Looks like a dandy to me. One of the things I miss about Nashville are those get-togethers. You guys all look great, except Smiley HA HA. Congrats Jimmie and Buddy on what I'm possitive is a great instrument.

Your old pal, Johnny
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2004 4:42 pm    

a bump in the night..
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2004 7:26 pm    

Buddy, nice looking guitar and what pickups are on it? Thanks,Tony
BTW my JCH is black also.