| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Junior Knight --- Thanks For Being An Inspiration
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:07 pm    

As I sat noodling with an old tune, Blue Jade, that Gary Hogue used to love to play, I started thinking over my 30+ years in steel guitar and my long-time friendship with both Gary Hogue and Junior Knight.

I thought about how they've both inspired me so much in my steel playing over the years. Sadly, Gary is no longer with us. However, Junior is still going on strong and playing fabulous as he always has.

Not only is Junior a great player, he's a great friend and a great person. One of the finest fellows you'll ever have the privilege of meeting.

As I sat reflecting on how deeply he's inspired me in my playing over the years, I started thinking of some small way to say "thank you" for being such an inspiration. When words are not enough, there's always expression in music.

So, I did a simple video of Blue Jade as my humble, but sincere, way of saying "Thank you, Junior, for being such an inspiration to me throughout my steel playing career".

It isn't much, but I hope you like it and, perhaps if I've played anything in the song correctly, you might even hear the shadow of another steel player who was an inspiration to us both. Junior, humble as it is, this one's for you, bud! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3V5RcDKjc
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:19 pm    

Jim,

I agree 100% on that. Two things.

One he played steel on Excuse Me, I Think I've Got A Heartache, with a girl singer that is one of my favorite records.

Two: I saw him at a steel show and after all these guys had played the same collection of tunes over and over, Junior did his set and he said "okay, what do you want to hear" and he played everything they asked for, some he said he had never played, but he would try, and he made it look so easy. Smile
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:33 pm    

Yep, that's Junior for you ... he makes it all look so easy and he always sounds fantastic. There's this one song Junior does (haven't heard him play it in a long time, though) called "They'll Never Take Her Love Away From Me". Man, if you want a treat, just listen to Junior play that song ... WOW ... I get chill bumps on my arms just thinking about it. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 4:29 am    

I have to chime in on this one. Back in the 1973 I became a teenager. The steel grabbed my ears when I heard it on radio or television. On Saturday afternoon I came across the Cowboy Weaver Show. The guest stars were always Dewey Groom and the Longhorn Ballroom Band. Jr. Knight was the steel player and did he grab my attention. He was my first television influence and I could hardly wait for Saturdays to roll around. I have met him and visited with him a few times and he was always friendly. I told him he got me in trouble when I was a teenager. All I heard was the steel when my mother walked in the room and started chewing me out. They were singing "I Turned Out To Be The Only Hell My Mother Ever Raised". Jr. just laughed and apologized. Great steel player and a classy gentleman.
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 5:20 am     j.k

I first met junior in 1995 with bud carter at jeff
newman's june jam. he was great guy to talk to and
was a gentelman. Smile he and bud even took time out to work on my m.s.a classic SS D-10 for me. still
listen to his first recording with a m.s.a 12 string
that he was playing. what a guy Smile

p.w
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 7:03 am    

Hey Rick, guess where my interest was peaked to attempt "Alright, I'll Sign The Papers?!!! Yep, A Junior Knight CD. I was working on the sound crew at one of the Chattanooga shows. As I came back into the hall following the dinner break, there was a CD playing over the PA system. When I got to the sound table, Junior was there talking to another member of the crew. I asked whose CD was playing, that it was some of the best steel work I had ever heard. Junior humbly said that it was his CD. After listening and talking more, I knew what a player and person Junior Knight is. He is an inspiration on both counts.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 7:20 am    

Jim, It don't get much better than that! Great Touch and Tone! Glad to hear you play that tune.
I too, think Gary Hogue and Junior Knight are World Class Steel Players.
Glad you are feeling better.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
George Plemons

Corsicana, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 8:49 am    

Junior has always been one of my steel guitar heros. Very nice playing Jim, good to hear you play.
David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 10:20 am    

Back in the mid 80s I was working a house band gig @ Cowtown USA on the N. side of Ft. Worth. Next door was Filthy McNastys w/ the Moonshine Brothers as houseband.Junior & Gary Hogue were both playing steel. It was some of the most amazing music I've ever heard! I used to spend the majority of my breaks over there until I started gettin' in trouble w/ my bandleader 'cause I was always late gettin' back to MY job! I just didn't want to leave.Ah,the good ol' daze!Thank you,Junior (& Gary!) for all the inspiration.

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 10:27 am    

Thanks, guys .. Smile

Junior is supposed to come and see me a little after New Year's (and I'll get to try out that Rains guitar of his). In the meantime, I'm going to surprise him with some really old music that he's probably forgotten about ... I have some recordings of him at the Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas from Oct of 1976. Very Happy

Back when I first started playing in 1976, I was privileged to meet both Junior Knight and Gary Hogue right off the bat, and though I was stationed at Altus AFB OK some 259 miles from Dallas, I would drive to Dallas nearly every weekend to see them play. I'd often take a cassette recorder with me so that I could record them and then go back and practice along with the tapes and that was how I did a lot of my learning back then.

Ah, the Longhorn Ballroom back in those days. It was Gary Hogue on steel, Junior Knight on lead & steel (he was playing a brown colored MSA Classic Bb6th Universal), James Pennybaker on guitar & fiddle, Reggie Revelle on piano ... I can't remember the drummer and bass players' names, but I can still see their faces, though. Oops, I mustn't forget Mr. Dewey Groom himself. Those were some good ole days! Very Happy
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 11:46 am    

David, I remember the Moonshine Brothers really well. Man, what great musical memories that brings back. They were what I liked to call a real "musician's" band. They were just flat out scary they were so good.

Gary used to play Moonshine Brothers tapes for me whenever I'd go and visit him; he had tons of those tapes from their gigs ... sure wish I could get my hands on some copies of those old tapes. Would be great to hear them again!. Smile
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 2:55 pm    

There are not sufficient words in the English language to describe the greatness of the late Gary Hogue and Jr. Knight. As a person or their talent. Sure miss Gary. Jody.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 7:21 pm    

Jr's one of my favorites. Met him in Knoxville in the 90's at Stoney's steel show. A fine gentleman and musician.

Tony
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 5:30 am    

Not must left to say about Jr, he has been a steel hero of mine for more years than I can remember.. We had lunch 2 weeks ago, Great food and Great time.. just wish he lived closer, we go back to 1970, now I remember, 40 years a Hero & friend, where has the time gone...anyway, great thread Jim, for a Great guy we call Jr.. Very Happy
Lunch is on me next time Jr!!
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 4:19 pm    

Re: Paul Wades post, I was there in '95 also. Jeff's help didn't show up, so I helped out where he needed me. I had the privilage of helping Jr. carry and set up on the stage and chat with him a while. He said he was nervous sitting beside Lloyd Green, Hal Rugg, etc, which, considering the talent he possesses made me chuckle.....
One other thing I remember was Bud Carter walking down the center aisle (before the people arrived) with polish and rag in hand, shining up that red Carter guitar, and teasing Jr. about the dust on it.
Great memories......... Smile
Fred
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2010 7:03 am    

I love it!
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2010 7:55 pm    

A couple of years ago a woman called me and inquired into my availability to play steel in her band. We talked and she told me that she was based in Ft. Worth. I told her that I lived in the Houston area and the distance would be a barrier. She went on to tell me that Junior had been sitting in with her when he was available, but she was looking for a full time player. I told her that if she was used to Junior's playing, she would be woefully disappointed in my abilities. I'd take one-tenth of his talent any day.
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 6:57 am    

First of all..thanks to all of you for all the kind words...
Jim...Really enjoyed our visit yesterday..and your playing on a diffrent setup was great..thanks for all the memories! Very Happy Very Happy
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 8:27 am    

Junior, I too enjoyed our visit. It was such a pleasure and privilege having you here at the house. During my "test drive" of your Rains guitar, I was totally knocked out by its tone. I appreciate the kind words you said about my playing. I'll admit the knee lever setup screwed me up quite a bit, but it was fun nonetheless. I always wondered what your knee lever setup was ... and now I know! Smile

As we visited, we talked about Gary Hogue's old 1976 Emmons (that black one I used to have) and I played some recordings of old gigs I'd played that guitar on (to illustrated "that sound" I've been wanting to have again). We talked about what a "special" Emmons it was and how it just had that one-in-a-thousand sound. The sound I've been wanting to recapture. I've played lots of Emmons guitars and they were all, in their own way, just as good sounding ... but there was just something "extra" in the sound of Gary's old guitar and, though I know that no other guitar will probably ever sound exactly like that old Emmons, I'd like to get as close as I can to that sound again.

Then I played Junior's Rains ... of all the guitars I've ever played since that old Emmons, this guitar came closest to sounding like it as I've ever heard.

It knocked my lights out. I've heard Rains guitars played on YouTube and they all sounded great, but it's a bit different hearing it played live ...

When you sat down to play it, Junior, that's when the real picking started. You may have just been noodling around, but I felt like I was at a steel show. You're still the virtuoso, my friend! I haven't watched the video yet (we video taped Junior's visit since that was indeed a Kodak moment).

After we test drove the Rains, we settled in to some reminiscing old times and I played a few of my recordings for him and then, as we were putting the Rains back into the case (Junior arrived a little later than he'd expected, so our visit was not quite as long as we'd have liked), I threw in another set of memories for Junior ... a "board mix" of Back To Back straight from the mixing console that Gary made for me when they recorded that album (which has a song or two that never made it onto the finished album), and an old tape from the Longhorn Ballroom in 1976.

After you left, Junior, I went ahead and listened to that old Longhorn Ballroom tape in its entirety and your playing on that old brown MSA blew me away. I've gotten so used to hearing you on a D-10 that I'd forgotten what a master you are on a 12-string Bb6th Universal!

Here are a couple of photos from our visit ...

Junior, thank you so much for dropping by. It was a great visit and I hope the camera picked up the Rains really well ... I'm a little worried that we might have overdriven the camera mic. Laughing While we weren't at "gig volume" we may have been just a tiny bit louder than what the camera is used to recording.

Take care, and hope we can do this again sometime! I'll get those CDs recorded for you and a copy of that picture you wanted printed up. Very Happy