| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New guy from upstate NY looking for suggestions.
Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 3:07 pm    

Hi everyone. I've been a member here for a while but this is my first post. I've been playing the six string for about twenty years but picked up a Carter Starter about six months ago. I started "faking it" with a band soon after. I really enjoy all of the helpful info this site has to offer. I was hoping to get some advice on a new steel. The Carter Starter has been a great tool for learning the basics but I don't feel like it will hold up well on the road. The band I play in does a lot of outdoor festival gigs and I'm looking for a good mid-level instrument that will be durable and reliable. Since I am still a beginner I am just looking for an S-10 3+4 but I would be open to other suggestions. I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Patrick
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 5:35 pm    

Hi Patrick, Until a couple of years ago, I lived in Cortland,NY, and I used to play in different places down your way. As far as what guitar to buy, I would say purchase the best that you can afford. I've always played universal guitars, and started right out with a Sierra 14 stringer, but decided that a U12 was enough for me to understand. Good luck. Larry
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 7:37 pm    

Hello Patrick,
I live in Walton, about an hour east of you. I have a shop at 153 North Street in Walton, and am normally there 9 to 5:30 Monday to Friday, and Saturday morning, 9 to 1. Stop in any time and try my Zum or Williams.
In a less expensive model, the GFI makes three different levels, a student, a mid grade, and the Ultra, which is their pro model. The mid grade has most of the same features as the pro.
Older MSA guitars, especially the ones with the aluminum frame and pocket around the pickup are excellent, work horse guitars which can often be purchased around $1,000. Also, older BMI guitars in good condition are often in this price range.
Newer Carter Pro level guitars can often be found in the $1,500 to $1,700 range, and are nice, good playing and sounding instruments.
Feel free to call or e-mail me any time if you have a question. I'll be glad to help or offer advice if I can.
Larry Jamieson www.waltonmusichouse.com
www.countryexpressmusic.com
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 7:56 pm    

Patrick,
I just saw a Magnum, pro level guitar made by Carter, for sale on the Forum, instruments for sale section, for $1,300. That's a pretty nice guitar for the money. There is a you tube video of it being played. Check it out.
Larry J.
Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 6:51 am    

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see I'm not the only player in the area. Larry Lorows, your suggestion of buying the best I can afford is quite sound. I'm not sure whether going to a 12+ string guitar is a good idea for a beginner. I'm having enough trouble on the ten string. Larry Jamieson, I think I've been to your shop. Is it the one in the old church? I was there probably 15 years ago. I know that area well as my wife is from Delhi. I will definitely stop in on my next trip through. If you give lessons or know anyone that does I'd be interested in speaking with you. Everything I've learned on steel so far has just been through trial and error. It's been tough to find other players in the area.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:18 am    

Patrick,
I've known Larry Jamieson for several years and he is a real standup guy, who, plays quite well and can help you with any problems you might have. He plays a lot of gigs with his band, so, you've got to catch him when you can.
John D.
Lee Petruzzelli

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:28 am    

Hello,
I started out on a GFI Expo S10. It was great. I had no problems with it and it did not break the bank. Plus, it was light and easy to drag around NYC. I think one of them might work well for you.
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 11:09 am    

I won't comment on a make of steel as we all have our favorite, but as someone who's played both a S-10 and SD-10 I would strongly suggest the SD-10. There is more bulk to them but the weight keeps it stable and I do think the sound is just a little fuller (but that's a personal opinion).
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 3:02 pm    

Patrick E mail sent. Larry
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 5:17 pm    

Patrick,
We do offer lessons, and yes, I am in a converted church building in Walton. Stop in and chat when you are in the area and try out my Williams and Zum guitars.
Larry J.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 5:32 pm    

Patrick.. I live about 35 minutes from you, and would be happy to help you out.. Been at it for 32 years, so I almost halfway know what I am almost sometimes kinda talking about.. maybe...

Check your PM... Give me a call and we can talk about what type of steels you may be looking to buy.. There are terrific "bang for the buck" steels that are world class guitars that won't send you to the poor house.
btw, I am not trying to sell you a steel, don't have one to sell, just looking to help out a guy in the neighborhood... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Larry Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 8:44 am     New Guy In Upstate New York

Hi guys, I am originally from Caledonia ,NY. I moved to Nashville in 1974. It is good to know there are many steel players in upstate NY. Keep up the good work guys.Larry Johnson
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 10:02 am    

Hi Patrick, I used to live just south of Vestal in Choconut, PA, near Choconut Inn. I don't miss those winters one teensy bit!!! Beautiful place though from late spring till mid-fall.

Larry's advice to buy the best you can afford is likely the best advice you'll get. My advice on top of that is to highly consider buying a used guitar, you'll get lots more for you money. I also started on a Carter Starter, and then went to a GFI U-12. The only thing I'd do different if I had it to do over again would be to buy a used GFI U-12. The way I figured it is that since I was new to it, I could learn the E9th part on a U-12 just as easily as on a 10 string, and avoid later wishing I had bought a double neck. FYI, the U-12 is setup and played pretty much the same on the upper 10 strings as a single neck E9th, and when you're ready you can shift over two strings and you'll have a C6th (actually a B6th with no pedals and no frets). It is not as difficult from that aspect as many might lead you to believe.

It might be very helpful to also visit Bob Carlucci to see what he has and get his input. It also might be useful to visit Larry Jamieson if he has a few different brand guitars to sit behind and try them.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2010 6:50 pm    

Patrick,
A used, MSA single 10 has just been posted for sale on the Forum for $1,300. These guitars are rock solid, designed and built like the modern all pull guitars. They sound good and play easily. For the money, this guitar is a bargain. It is way beyond the student models, is a great guitar to gig or learn on, and you can get your money back out of it is it doesn't work out for you.
I have owned two of these guitars. The first MSA I had I played and gigged for 20 years without any problems. Bought another 6 or 8 years ago and played it in my shop for two or three years for a practice guitar. Then, I wanted a Franklin pedal, so I sold it and bought a new guitar with a Franklin pedal.
If it is in your budget, and you really want a guitar, I'd recommend this MSA.
Larry Jamieson
Walton Music House
607 865-5670