| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modern pedal steel playing style..my comments
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 12:53 pm    

Seems like in today's music,(for the most part), the pedal steel doesn't utilize the volume pedal the way it has in the past. Also, I've noticed that you don't hear the moving, sliding passages as much either. It sounds like much of the playing involves simply staying in one position and kinda riffing on one or two frets. For me, it makes life easier to learn these tunes. Of course there are exceptions. Paul Frankilin usually tosses in some good stuff, and there are some other examples too. The older songs seem like more of a challange to learn because they are more complicated. What do you guys think?

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 7:26 pm    

i hear lots of advanced style hot licks that weren't so prevalent in the past, i hear good clear solid tone...not so much old style chordal movement except for specialty recordings...and some way too hot western swingers that scare me.

maybe not so much hughey supporting conway stuff unfortunately, but some great playing by some great pickers.

the real lack out their is the lack of good concise songwriting.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 1:05 pm    

I know that there are some really good steel players that are kept on a short leash. Every once and a while they get to break out. I also think your point that a lot of songs are written nowadays in a fashion that seems tailor made for a simpler style of playing, is right too. I know what you mean...Some of those Western Swingers are freaks on the strings! Whoa!