| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dang,....Weldon.
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 9:21 am    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmQHkgovIa8&feature=relatedeldon.

Great player, lots of respect, and a great person.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 11:13 am    

That is good. To be reminded of Connie Smith also!
James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 12:38 pm    

I have a couple of Weldon's records made in later years, a terrific player by any standards.

James.
Bruce Deamude

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 1:03 pm    

At what point do you think mainstream country music started to drift away from the real thing? In any case it's a real shame.
Bruce.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 2:19 pm    

Weldon Myrick. One of the best thats ever been. Super player, super person. Jody.
Franklin

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 7:01 am    

Hello everyone....I don't mean to offend anyone. After reading this forum for years, I noticed that sometimes Weldon's work and influential contributions to the 60's and 70's sound of country music seems to get overlooked. That's not anyones fault. He was not an instrumentalist being marketed to the masses nor was he on the road with a band for very long. He was mostly a behind the scenes guy who occasionally stepped out front to do a solo project. But nothing consistent as to create a wave of press reviews to educate the masses as to how dominate and synonymous "his" steel guitar sounds were in Country Music. The same with Hal. Both played a large part in defining country steel guitar during the pedal steels infancy.

IMO, although there were many great players contributing influence, To me, Weldon and Buddy Emmons stood out as the most aggressively influential players. Buddy and Weldon were the talk of the town when I moved to Nashville in 72. I can hear Weldon's influence in every steel guitarist, legendary, or not. We all have a little "Welephant" in us.

Treat yourselves and do some research on how many artists Weldon has recorded with from the 60's forward, grab a few discs and get ready to smile.

Weldon is the gentle giant among steel guitarists. Places to start looking from the 60's and 70's are artists like Ronnie Milsap, Moe Bandy, Johnny Bush, Area Code 615, Early Bill Anderson, Kenny Price, and ofcourse Connie Smiths greatest hits. Later on Reba, Strait, Skaggs, Jackson, and too many to mention.....Try going to Allmusic.com and look at the pages of recordings he has compared to others from that era. You'll discover what an impact he made on the recording industry. After you check out his discography you'll probably agree that his prominence should not be ignored by serious Country steel guitar fans. Sorry for the soapbox. I just wanted to salute Weldon, a five star general if there ever was one.

Merry Christmas,

Paul
Roger Miller

Cedar Falls, Ia.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 7:28 am    

Paul, you stand on that soapbox proud, we salute you as well. You are an influence as well as Weldon. Weldon is a staple in country music. I remember when Hal, Sonny, or Weldon would walk out on the stage, those guys were legends then just as Spider, and Jimmy.

I missed the Dallas Cowboys sticker on Weldon's guitar.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 8:38 am    

May I also recommend Willie Nelson's "The Willie Way", "Presenting Troy Seals", and O.B McClinton's "Obie From Senatobie" album.

His work with Johnny Bush on the "Whiskey River" and "There Stands The Glass" albums is stellar. Most or all of it is on the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 CD.
Alan Miller

, England, UK.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 9:01 am    

Bruce Deamude wrote:
At what point do you think mainstream country music started to drift away from the real thing? In any case it's a real shame.
Bruce.

I personally think country music started to drift with Dolly's "Jolene" and Billy Swann's "I can help"

Paul,
I dont think any of us who are of a certain age and were breathing in and out when weldon was a top man would accuse you of standing on a soap box.
Its great that as a top man yourself you suggest that players listen back a few decades and "get ready to smile" I loved those four words, "get ready to smile".

Last edited by Alan Miller on 23 Dec 2009 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 9:26 am    

I would like to point out a record by Jake Holmes where he played on, adding gentle textures with his steel.
And the nice 'Lady Madonna' from Area Code 615.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 4:45 pm    

Nicely said, Paul. I met Weldon in '76 backstage at the Opry after playing a show, and he gave me his number and said to call anytime...a gentle giant for sure. Plus he is a fellow West Texan, which can't be all bad...Smile Man, Area Code 615 was a big influence on me....
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2009 6:32 pm    

Well said Paul. Weldon sure influenced my playing as did Buddy and Hal. Jody.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2009 2:07 am    

I second Jody ... well said, Paul. Weldon's playing on a Gospel album, Soul In The Family by The Singing Rambos, was my first real in-depth experience at the beauty of steel guitar and was one of the chief factors that led me to become a steel guitar player.

During 1975, the year before I started playing steel, I listened to a variety of Gospel albums regularly, but those that stuck out were the ones including the steel playing of Weldon Myrick (along with John Rich playing for The Oak Ridge Boys on their "Light" album; and, of course, the beautiful steel work of John Hughey on many of The Happy Goodmans albums).

But, going back to the very ground roots of that first experience with steel that forever cast the "steel guitar spell" on me, is always Weldon's playing on that Rambos album, Soul In The Family. If you ever get the chance to hear it, it's an album you'll never forget. Very Happy
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2009 4:24 am    

I remember a few years ago watching the Grand Ole Opry and Weldon was always in the camera shot. I dialed in to see him play. Then the playing on the Johnny Bush version of "Whiskey River" is just some of the hottest playing I have ever heard. Several years ago my uncle from West Texas told me there was a very good steel player he used to hear in Big Springs when they would go out on the town. He told me the steeler moved and he never knew what happened to him. I asked him what the steel players name was and he said Weldon Myrick. I said man he has been the staff steel player on the Grand Ole Opry for 25 years. I found it very impressive after all of those years my uncle would remember the name Weldon Myrick. I second Jims comments about the Rambos records. Weldon did some fantastic playing on those records as well.
David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2009 10:19 am    

Paul is right,Weldon has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to recognition. He is a great player & great person.I used to work w/ a guitar player who was Weldons' nephew,Rick Myrick. He got us backstage @ the Opry once,got to hang w/ Weldon & Leon Rhodes,it was a blast!But,to me,in this clip it looks like the band is playing to a track,Weldons' hands are not in sync w/ what we are hearing.

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2009 2:59 pm    

Back in the early years, the only publcation available for steel guitar expousure was Fender/FRETTS. Radio and on the road bands plus word of mouth were all that was left to the average fan looking for steel guitar facts. I really feel that I gave Weldon as much coverage as we did anyone, limited though that may have been, it sinply was all there was at the time.

In those days I tended to create catergories of greatness in my own mind but have since learned the error of those ways. Nowadays, they are all equally great, each in their own way and with their own contributions. I cannot throw out the baby with the bath water !! It doesn't work that way in the overall picture and you will soon fail to see the forrest for the trees !! There is too much beauty in the music of this instrument to be narrow minded in one aspect or another...

Regards, Paul
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2009 5:59 pm     Weldon Myrick

Paul,you are right Weldon and Buddy were and still are my favorite steel players and influenced my playing .You also had a big impact on me also ,from when you were 17 or 18 in Dallas with Dottie West till today. Weldon is a great person off stage also.im so glad that i had traveled to shows he did with Bill Anderson to hear him in person.and to get to sit beside him and Hal Rugg and Sonny Burnette at the Opry and hear their Boss tone string section sound behind Dottie and the band was super.I also was at a recording session of Dotties @ RCA and Weldon and Buddy Played on her Session.I think back to those days often as they will never be again.treasure each day we still have these great players. Rudy Smile
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.