| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trippy steel experiments.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2009 8:38 am    

I finally got around to making a STEREO VOLUME/PAN pedal out of a Fender Vol/Tone Reissue. I did it without the switching so it just has one mode - stereo input (TRS), panning, stereo outputs. I'm using it with my stereo pedal steel where each pickup has it's own output. It actually works as well as I'd hoped. There's smooth panning from between effects/channels and it's nice to be able to hit the in-between spots. I can start a run clean and increase the volume while slowly swiveling over to my gain and echo pedals to sustain a long note here and there. It's actually really cool just to pan between two pickups where the tone is completely rolled off of one of them.

I'm really surprised that I can't find any information on anyone attempting something like this. Soooo much more expressive and convenient than an ABY switcher.

My next experiment will be taking the same thing a step further. Yesterday, I spent about an hour talking to pickup winder Lindy Fralin about his SPLIT BLADE models. He's going to make me a custom set with 4 conductor wires per pickup so they can be split. The split will mean that 3 strings out of 6 will go silent. I'll have two of them and I've worked out the wiring so that a toggle switch will accomplish the following:

MODE 1: Each pickup will go to it's respective output, just like I have it now.

MODE 2: Each pickup will be spit between bass and treble but running in series (humbucker) with the other pickup that is split in the same manner. So, bass strings will go to one output and treble to another.

As each pickup is designed to have two coils run in series, both modes will be noise-canceling.

Any thoughts, opinions or predictions on how this will turn out?
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2009 5:30 am    

James, it's a great plan. Please let me know how it turns out. We need more people experimenting with these kinds of things. Mix it up.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2010 7:52 pm    

So, I finally got this project finished. Most of the time was waiting on the custom pickups that were built in the wrong color, the first time.

There's a photo in THIS thread.