| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ergonomics question
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 11:25 am    

After playing a little over a year, I am starting to pay closer attention to things like seat height, pedal height, and lever adjustments on my EMCI. I don't have a pak a seat yet and am sitting on a standard kitchen table chair with a cushion on it. Last night I was noticing that my forearm was resting against the corner of the pad (SD 10) and that was causing my palm to be not quite parallel to the plain of the strings. I put the front legs of my steel on half inch piece of wood and this caused the line from my elbow to my hand to be closer to parallel with the strings. This seemed to me to clean up my blocking somewhat due to the edge of my palm coming down evenly across all strings. I also liked the feel of the pedals a bit better. I can easily extend the front legs of my steel to achieve this same angle. Is this a case of doing what feels right to you, or is there a proper alignment of body parts to steel?

At what point do you have to drop the newbie title and graduate to hack?
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 3:41 pm    

I think you are on the right track by experimenting with what feels right to you. Just about everything in the chain can be varied or adjusted. My experiments have included: my heel height(I now put a heel lift in my left boot!), the thickness of the soles of my footwear, my seat height, the tilt of the back rest on my seat, the heights of pedals, the tilt of my steel, and the location of knee levers (I have moved the left knee levers on every D-10 steel I have ever owned.)

Trial and error is a long and tedious process, but absolutely necessary. It has taken me many years of tinkering to come to a point where I am totally comfortable and relaxed as I sit at my steel and play. Anyone sitting at my steel would probably think my set-up is bizarre, but it works for me.

So I would say the only real rule is do what works for you until you are relaxed as you play, and you can play for long period of time in total comfort. The effort will pay off in the end.
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 8:58 pm    

Brick,

It sounds like you are on the right track. I think a good posture at a pedal steel is pretty similar to good posture at a computer keyboard:
-Your knees shouldn't be higher than your hips, because that won't allow you to sit up straight.
-Your wrists shouldn't be higher than your elbows, because that will not allow you to keep your wrists straight and could lead to carpal tunnel problems.
-Your hands should be on the same plane as the strings to get the best playing position.

You may want to consider an adjustable seat, like a drummer's "throne" or a keyboard bench.
I found the best seat for me was a drummer's throne (I guess drummers like to think of themselves as the king of the band) because this allowed me to adjust the height of the seat to the exact height that is comfortable (which most pack-a-seats don't allow).
I got one with a backrest to remind me to sit up straight.
I think I tilt my guitar very slightly to keep my wrists straight.

Since you live in San Jose, shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to come by some time and try out my drummer's throne.

-Dave
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2009 7:05 pm    

I have been experimenting with seat hight/tilt, and have found it to be more comfortable with a 3/4" block under the front legs, giving a slight tilt back. With the different suggestions offered,I think I might try using a few blocks to change the total hight, and tilt of the seat. You never know til you try..good thread.

Bill
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2009 10:40 am    

Since I have bought steelseat I hear lots of things about seats. Many want adjustable legs and since I play (or play at it - more correctly own) a pedal steel I had no idea. I had a standard seat from the get go and just went with it.

Since the start of the pedal steel guitar I have found that those who started this deal wanted a 20 or 21" tall seat - I think they used a phone book on a standard folding chair (from what I hear)

I have built and am building several different heights of seats. I tried (at one time) to measure from the top of the knee to the floor on several people.

My conclusion, is that there is no standard ---- most like what they like and do not try to confuse them with facts. It is like a guy that decides to play a 6 string left handed and just turns over a guitar and learns it that way.

There is no standard - I say I have a standard height and then just let the customer tell me what they want. Example, I had a customer that said he wanted longer legs on his steelseat at the time of order. I ask him what he wanted and he did not know. So I ask what he was using and found that it was a standard 18" chair - I made him a 21" seat (20 and 21 are kinda standard) and he is very happy. That along with the firm foam made him a happy player that says he can play for hours now.

I am working on several things and messing with adjustable is one of them. This started for a person teaching so they could adjust the legs for different height students but many have asked. I simply have not had time to get one built yet but hopefully soon.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2009 11:38 am    

If you want a seat that can easily be used at home, and is height ADJUSTABLE, and CHEAP, then check out the shower/bath chairs at WalMart. A couple of friends use these, and are very happy with them. There are a few different brands and models, but here is one to check out: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10105191

I have been thinking more about getting one of these to use here at the house.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.