| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LUCKY ME!! a MULLEN Herby Wallace Model !!! WOW
Bob Bartoli

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2009 6:00 pm    

I was fortunate enough to buy(trade into) about a 6 year old or so Herby Wallace Model Mullen,totally stock, with Mullen factory pickups... this thing RULES!!! , tone is superb, and the action and tuning is above and beyond the call of duty!!,superb workmanship.. ANY OTHER happy HWP Model owners, why do these guitars sound so darn good??? other than the fact that it's black?? I can't imagine a G2 sounding better..it's impossible!!.Thanks

Last edited by Bob Bartoli on 15 Dec 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2009 6:07 pm     Hwp

The HWP is a fantastic guitar..Im buying and refurbishing as many as I can get my hands on...Congrats on your new MULLEN!!!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 12:43 am    

Congratulations on your Mullen, Bob! Very Happy I agree, they're fantastic guitars. My first Mullen was a Herbie Wallace model (HWP) and I think I uploaded a photo of it on a previous post of yours ... but here's the picture again ...

I had the same emotions about my HWP (except mine wasn't black). Enjoy!
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 4:21 am     mullen

here is a pix of my 1988 HWP mullen d-10
8+7 . man, i miss that guitar Rolling Eyes

p.w
Bob Bartoli

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 5:41 am     Hwp

Thaks guys for the nice comments, I'm definately a Mullen convert!!! and in GOOD company to boot!!!
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 8:44 am     HWP and PRP

Hi Mickey or Jim, Could you please explain the difference between the HWP and the Pre Royal Precision Mullen Guitars. Also I think HWP has his G2 model...with all these different models, things get foggy.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 9:13 am    

Hi, Brad ... I think Mickey would be the best one to answer this question as he can give you a run down on the different Mullen models far better than I can. Smile

Actually, I need to re-educate myself on the different models as I've only been back into steel again for a couple of months after a long nine year layoff from playing.

Mickey, can you help us out?
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 9:23 am     Differences

The Standard Mullen and the HWP are basically the same guitar mechanically. Herbie wound the pickups to non-standard impedances, and a defeat switch for the tone was added. When the RP came out a new changer assembly was constructed which had an anodized finger assembly with a different alloy. the pickup impedances were again changed to match the alloy density. For the most part these guitars had subtle changes...return springs were added to the pedal returns, some of the parts were reshaped etc..Now the G2 has an entirely different changer with a precision alignment feature for the rod ends, heavier alloy, slotted string receptacle, larger diameter center pole, wide mount pickups. The crossrods were angled at the neck join so the changers were interchangeable from E9 to C6. The rear of the changers are tapped for set screws which allow "Split Tuning" This set screw allows tuning of a "hard stop" on the lower, which frees that lever or pedals hex nut to physically tune a half stop. Of course we could go into more technical detail about these, but these are the main differences in the Mullen line. I hope this answered your question Brad...Mickey
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 9:42 am    

Thanks, Mickey ... those are fascinating facts there and, all that being said, it sounds like the G2 is a completely new evolution in the Mullen guitars. I know yours sure knocked my socks off when I played it! I'd really like to get to know the G2 guitar a lot better.

Adding to, and confirming, what Mickey referred to on the earlier guitars, my personal observations on the HWP versus the Mullen guitars (prior to the Royal Precision and G2) models follows ...

I've had one HWP and three standard Mullen guitars and the only differences that I noticed in my HWP versus the others was that the HWP had a tone control right by the bank switch between the necks and my others didn't. Also, the tone in the stock pickups of the HWP I had was a bit thin for my taste, so I replaced them with George-L E-66 pickups and it was fantastic.

Other than those two points, I saw absolutely no difference in my HWP versus my other Mullen guitars.

My question for Mikey at this point is: Exactly what models of Mullen are available these days? Are there four, such as, the HWP, the standard guitars like I've had, the Royal Precision, and the G2? Or, have the Royal Precision and G2 models completely replaced the HWP and Standard models?
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2009 11:52 am     Mullen Models,

Hey Mickey and Jim, Thanks for the detailed replies on the different model Mullens..I have the Standard Model...that G2 model seems like a real winner. Mullens are tough guitars, they are the Toyota's of the Steel world.
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 8:59 pm     HWP Model Mullen Guitars

Well, I thought I would chime in here to clarify a few things. First, I started playing and selling Mullen guitars in 1984 and every one is a superb instrument but there are differences. Actually, my first Mullen in 1984 was a red lacquer and my second the same year was a blue and natural lacquer. My 3rd Mullen was the bright red formica which looks like the one Jim Lindsey had which I got this one in 1985 and that was when we called it the HWP model. The later HWP models were a little different in that we experimented with different pickups and the later HWPs still had single coil pickups as I personally never used humbucking pickups, but the later ones were wound heavier and a little different than the early HWP model. Also, Del started anodizing the pulling fingers on the later HWPs and the RPs. This anodizing helped in two ways. It changed the tone and took away the thinner sound on the higher strings and it reduced string breakage by the anodizing making the surface much harder. I am now playing the HWP model G2 which is the same as the standard G2 except has polished pedals and knee levers and the tone control and bypass. I have used the tone control and bypass on every Mullen I have owned as I like to add a little more bass when playing C6th. I must say that even though I am crazy about the new G2, there is still a tonal characteristic of the later model HWP like I was playing up until about two years ago when the G2 came out that I really miss.

It's no big deal, but the Mullen with dual pickups that had belonged to Gary Hogue that you now have, Jim, I would have thought that was a 1984 or 1985 model as I remember when Gary went to Mullen as I did a show in Hot Springs, AR in 1984 and Junior Knight, Gary Hogue and Charlie Norris were all at the show and they tried my Mullen and I set Charlie Norris up as a Mullen dealer at that time. It's really no big deal, but when you called it a 1983 model, it through me a little. I also had a dual pickup one I tried for a while, but the extra pickup bothered my right hand position. Also, one other thing I forgot to mention is that Del has made some slight changes in the metal necks over the years and some of them vary and this also affects the tone a little. The bottom line is that there is a definate tone difference in the early model HWPs and the later model HWPs. I'll shut up for now, but I hope this sheds a little light on some of this.

Herby Wallace
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 9:27 pm    

Thank you so much for your post, Herbie. It really has enlightened me on the HWP models and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I know Mickey is out of town right now, so I got to read it first. Smile

I'm sure you're probably correct that my guitar is and 1984 instead of 1983 model. I've been calling it a 1983 model because that's what Gary had called it for years whenever we talked about his guitar (and, at nearly 55 I'm not remembering long ago dates as clearly today as I did, say, ten years ago). If it is a 1984 model, then I'm glad to know that and have clarification on it.

One thing I'll never forget, though, was that long drive from Alexandria LA to his home in Garland TX to see and play his guitar right after he got it. Gary had called me to let me know about his new Mullen and I left right after my gig that night and drove straight through.

It was sitting down at that guitar that really turned me on to the Mullen guitars and I knew then and there that I had to have one and would probably be a faithful Mullen player from then on out. Very Happy

I just wish I could make this guitar of Gary's sound like he did! Smile Here's a clip of Gary playing that guitar at Charlie's back in 1984 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_evof2zApM
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 9:31 pm    

Shocked Oops, my apologies, Herby. I spelled you name in my post as "Herbie" instead of "Herby". Embarassed
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 10:04 pm    

Okay, I just had to clean my monitor from spraying Coca-Cola all over it laughing so hard, so I have to tell this because it's like lightning striking a second time ... that is, choking on Coca-Cola while laughing.

When Herby mentioned in his post about my guitar being a 1984 model instead of a 1983 model, I started thinking back to when I bought Gary's guitar in 1995. I was asking Gary what year model it was and right as I was taking a sip of Coke, Gary said "Gosh, Jim, I've slept since then" and the blank look on his face mixed with the way he said it made me laugh and choke on my Coke at the same time ... the result was that I spewed a whole mouthful of Coca-Cola right in his face! Shocked Poor Gary! I was so embarrassed, but he laughed about it and started wiping himself off. That's when he told me he thought it was a 1983 model, but as he was telling me this, he was opening a can of Coke for himself (which apparently had gotten shaken up somehow) and just as he pulled the tab, he got shot in the face again with another explosion of Coca-Cola erupting from the can he was holding.

And, as I was thinking about that just a moment ago, I happened to be taking a sip of Coke and choked on it laughing (just as I did back then) and sprayed my computer monitor just now! Whoa! Oh, the adventures steel players have even when they're not playing their guitars! Laughing
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 10:25 pm    

By the way, Bob, do you have any photos of your black HWP model? Would love to see it. Very Happy
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 10:17 am     RP's and Hwp's

Jim L or Herby W., Thanks for all the great information. Here are my questions, Were the Standard Mullen's and the HWP Mullens a heavier built steel than the RP's? Also,did Del anodize the pulling fingers of the Standard Mullens at the same time he did the HWP Steels and what year did he start doing it? Herby says,>> Del started anodizing the pulling fingers on the later HWPs and the RPs. This anodizing helped in two ways. It changed the tone and took away the thinner sound on the higher strings and it reduced string breakage by the anodizing making the surface much harder.<< This is very useful information to potential buyers because Herby W. said there is a tonal Characteristic of the later HWP that he really missed. If the standard and the HWP were made the same way in those years that characteristic may have been present in both the Standard and the HWP Steels...also Bob B. noticed something special in the HWP he purchased...but the mystery remains because we do not know when this anodizing started and ended or is it still ongoing. Also when the RP's were made I think the Standard was dropped and the HWP was really a Standard with the few addition mentioned earlier. Sorry for the long question, I'm just trying to see through the fog.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 11:14 am    

Brad, these are great questions and I'm hoping Herby will jump in again to answer them.

I know I'm really grateful that he's clarified, for example, the year model of my current Mullen. Very Happy

I've never been able yet to check out an RP and only recently been able to check out Mickey's G2 (a really great guitar).

As far as the anodized string fingers, one of my Mullen guitars had those (my mahogany mica D-10). What I noticed in that guitar as opposed to my other Mullen guitars was that it was just a little richer in the low end response and string breakage seemed almost nonexistent. Here's an example from one of our concerts where I was playing that guitar with the anodized string fingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RSiAvo8e4

I still miss that guitar ... it had a beautiful tone.

Herby, if you're still watching this thread, can you jump in and help us again? Smile

And, ah, Bob B., would still be great to see that beautiful Mullen of yours (hint, hint) Very Happy
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 11:17 am     Anodizing

I'm not sure what year Del started the anodizing but I think it was sometime in early nineties before the RP came out and all Mullen guitars during this period had the anodizing. When didn't start calling this version the later HWP until the RP came out and the reason was that I received one of the early RPs and never liked the tone as well so Del decided to continue the other model as a special order model and call it the HWP. You also asked about some of the differences in the standard or HWP at that point and the RP. The RP had a different changer, and the wood thickness was different to accomodate the changer. The HWP had a center support rail for the cross rods which was not on the RP. The RP is a good guitar and played a little easier than the HWP but as I said, I just didn't like the tone as well personally. Also, I forgot to mention that the pickups were wound quite a bit different.

Herby Wallace
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 12:40 pm     Mystery solved

Herby Wallace, thank you so much for your quick reply......you solved the mystery for me. The reason I'm saying that is because the Mullen I have is serial number 2188 which would be one that was "not anodized" because it was probably made around 1987, by the way, it is the one I bought "used" from you in around 1992. The one I have also has the center support for the crossrods and is heavier than the RP. Many people also told me they liked the Standard and HWP models better than the RP because of the tone. I also heard from many people that attended Steel Guitar shows that they liked the tone Herby Wallace got, they would say "Herby had the best tone of anybody at the show" and that is before the G2 hit the market, so that anodizing of the pulls may have been a factor plus your great playing ability. Bob Bartoli may be on to something....Any HWP 2005 to 2007 year models for sale? LOL.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 12:43 pm    

Thank you most kindly, Herby. Smile

Bob B., I hope we haven't strayed too far away from your HWP guitar (since this thread was started and centered around your HWP Mullen) ... but this is really fascinating and I hope you're enjoying it as well. Smile
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 1:17 pm     Its a keeper

Hey Jim Lindsey, I just played your Utube song and I can see why you say you miss that guitar..Jim they don't make them any better than that one..Jim that one was a keeper. Thank God for the "Steel Guitar Forum", it allows us to get so much information that otherwise would remain a mystery.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 6:10 pm    

Aw, thanks, Brad. There's been several guitars over the years that, as time went by, I let go and then lived to regret it and wondered "Why did I ever let that one get away from me?" That brown Mullen was one of those guitars.

I sold that guitar to Bobbe Seymour back in early 2000 and it was only barely three years old. I have a vague recollection of someone telling me that Bruce Boughton bought it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to remember sometime to ask Bobbe if he remembers where it went.

I agree ... I really appreciate the Forum and the way it allows all of us steelers to get together. Smile
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 7:47 am     Bob Bartoli may be on to something....

Jim, like I said before,>>Bob Bartoli may be on to something....This thread has established and validated IMHO that the HWP anodized changer models made from the early or mid 90's was and is a great Mullen Steel. Herby Wallace stated for many years that it was the best Steel he ever played and this thread gave us some insight that was not available to most of us until now.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 9:16 am    

I believe Del built my guitar for me in 1997. It's a pre-RP and does have anodized fingers on the changer.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Bob Bartoli

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2009 9:51 am     Hwp Mullen

TTT