| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ***\\\\\ steelseat more options plus Road Cases ////////***
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 4:17 pm    

At the Southwest Steel Guitar Association jam in Tempe on Saturday steelseat.com announced a built in telescoping handle with wheels that are built in to the seat.

Just extend the handle and roll it away.

And all you see while playing is the colapsed handle on one side and the wheels on the other.

At rest

Only available on new Original steelseats at this point

People ask and here it is.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Last edited by Joe Naylor on 17 Dec 2010 7:42 am; edited 7 times in total
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 4:52 pm    

nice!, I wounder if a load bearing one can be built to piggyback an amp onto? or is that to much overkill to build in?

Love the snakeskin BTW! Very Happy

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 5:20 pm    

One of the problems with stacking the amp is that the telescoping handles are tubular and I would be afraid to recommend that.

The Boa Snake Skin was to get peoples attention at shows and I think it will work. I can put that snake skin on any seat.

Thanks Steve ---- all these things come from ideas --- mine and other steel players.

Joe Naylor
steelseat,com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 8:10 pm    

Hey Joe, you're sure coming up with some innovative new ideas for those seats of yours. I'm sure Thom would approve. Good job!

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 7:00 pm     Thanks for the note Rick

Thanks for all the comments.

I have had several emails. I am not sure if they will adapt to seats built by either of the privious owners. I will have to look those seats on an individual basis. Although they may look the same I will have to check the construction before I will know if they can be adapted. Existing seats will cost more than seats made to order.

Thanks again

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 4:41 am    

Hey Joe...mmmm...Could be a good name for a song!!

How about a built in wet bar...I think that's all your lacking!! Oh Well
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 6:20 am    

I approve!
WC
www.wcedgar.com
www.myspace.com/wcedgar
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2009 6:41 pm    

Well Jack no one has asked yet for the wet bar. Let me think about and I will get you a price.

Thanks for the laugh ---- I think people have asked for about everything and then someone comes up with something else.

I have a list of things to look at so "WET BAR" will be listed with a note (Jack Francis)

Thanks for all the interest on emails too.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Jack Francis

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2009 6:51 pm    

Joe

You will be rewarded through the eternities for being kind to an old man!! Oh Well
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2009 6:12 am    

Nice Job Joe.. those seats can get too heavy once you add power strips and wiring to all the rest of the gear we carry.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2009 8:19 pm    

Thanks for the note Bo ---- seems like lots of people talk about the weight of the seat when it is full. Couple volume pedels, tuners, strings, bars, etc all add up to more than the seat weighs some times.

We all have to remember we are playing the heaviest "portable" insturment ------ and that is only because they have not figured out to put handles on a Baby Grand.

Just trying to build what people want.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2009 7:25 am    

Thanks for all the responces - seems like lots of people like the telescoping handle and wheel (built on) idea with the power strip.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2009 4:33 pm    

Great, logical next step in the evolution of pack-a-seats, Joe, thanks for being the one to finally accomplish this feat.

I hope the next area you'll tackle is either:

• the dreadful and sometimes dangerous boat seat hinges used by so many seats. Mine wasn't very carefully buffed, but I didn't realize the peril until I recently sliced my right thumb pretty seriously setting up for an audition recently. I managed to barely get the bleeding to stop before the downbeat, but that was a real bummer.

• those primitive, stiff fold-down legs. Legs ought to be easy to open/close, and be height adjustable, imho. I can't imagine someone hasn't already designed these, we just haven't found them yet and adapted them to the steel chair. I hope YOU will!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing all the seats in Phoenix!
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 6:42 am    

Thanks for the note John.

(1) This is the first I heard of the boat seat type hinges being a problem so will look in to that.
(2) Legs - I have had comments about legs from many angles - you and I need to talk at the show about why they need to be adjustable. I know another seat manufacturer asked a few years ago if a guy was planning on growing when he ask. My understanding is that the "standard height" was established years ago because of the unusial height of the steel and a person 6' tall. I build them whatever height a person wants. I have gone as much as 2" different either way. One guy wanted taller legs and I later sent him standard legs and now he is happy. I have played with several different (way different) styles of legs but keep coming back to what is practical and needed.

I listen to ideas that people have and am making a list of a bunch of things. Some I think are far out there and some are not.

C-ya in January

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2009 6:33 pm    

We'll definitely brainstorm, Joe. I'll try to sketch up some ideas, thoughts beforehand.

The exposed boat seat hinge is always grabbing at something, like car interior, pants, shirts. It's just a convenient but lousy solution. If they're permanent on a boat, very few issues. But on a portable device like a pack-a-seat, they're dreadful.

Why different heights? Why are high end piano benches height-adjustable? For some of the same reasons, I imagine:

Players' leg lengths differ.

Torso height affects where arms are more comfortable playing, so height adjustment is necessary.

And for steelers:

You wear street shoes, you're fine; you switch to cowboy boots, suddenly the steel is too short, so you raise the steel's rear legs a bit so you're left thigh isn't scraping the left vertical knee lever, or the body cabinet itself. Undo all that when going back to street shoes. More work than necessary, if we only had height-adjustable pack-a-seats!

I have all sizes of students coming through my studio, using my spare seat, but adjusting seat height would be very desirable. It's not one seat-one player at all times.

Make sense?

Last edited by John McClung on 10 Dec 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2009 8:17 am     That is why I listen

That all makes sence Thanks -

(1) Just had not heard a complaint on the boat type hinges - now I know.
(2) I only wear cowboy boots when I play so that was not a problem for me - good idea.
(3) The Piano bench thing has came up before. My thinking on that was that different people play pianos just because there are no handles on a Baby Grand means it is not portable. My idea had been (from my view point) was before this ---- that one player ----- played one guitar ------ so it should always be the same.

Point well taken - as soon as I get caught up (just a little) I will work on that - I have some ideas but have to keep the weight down - and will keep looking at it.

As I mentioned I am always listening - that is how I got started in this ONLY building the Lite model - then when steelseat.com came my way I was going to make only 2 models with few or no options ---- see how long that idea lasted. I have to remind myself that all this has happened (and I might add) in only a few months ------ but I am having fun and at this point I am not sure I will ever be satisfied with options and models.

Thanks again - look forward to seeing you and talking about this stuff in January

Keep 'um coming

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2009 7:37 pm     No snow tires as an option ---- yet

Just had two calls today asking for snow tires.

Thanks again for all the great responce.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Jack Francis

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2009 7:06 am    

"Snow"??? What's that Joe?? Confused
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2009 10:29 am    

Northern players will probably want a built-in seat warmer.

In the sunny West, I wouldn't mind a seat massager! Those Texans that play really long sets without a break might like that feature, too.

Wink
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2009 10:58 am    

...or a Porta-Potty!
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 7:20 am    

Jack - snow tires are something used in Flagstaff (for those of you not from AZ Flagstaff is nearly 8,000 feet elevation and Phoenix is 1,000 - some people drive up there to see show)

John there have been questions for lots of strange stuff but ---- Roger's ...or a Porta-Potty! was "Fairly" original.

Heated seat has been asked for - Those vinyl covers need to be water cooled some say too.

Thanks for the comments and I will try to build what is practical --------- and possible.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2009 7:35 pm    

couple of Original steelseats with power strips

Also have Lites

SlimLines with and without Sidekar

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 10:53 am    

"if we only had height-adjustable pack-a-seats!"

Seat could be built for the lowest hight with screw in plugs in 1" increments to raise to desired hight.

BF
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 11:40 am    

I'd love to see the legs be independent U-shaped pieces (with hard right angle corners, no need for the space-wasting u-shape we have now) that retract into wells on each chair's side. And some easy way to adjust how far they come out to make the height adjustable. You mechanics get on this and show me how! Very Happy
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2009 11:42 am    

Joe, one thing I notice about the retractable handle is that it leaves the top of the handle sticking out. That's going to be prone to getting knocked around, either bent or broken. There's a lot of quick and rough handling in many gigs, gear just gets tossed around for the sake of speed.

Is there some way that it can tuck completely into a recessed well, to keep it safe and sound?