| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Fiddle.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2009 11:46 am    

I don't know if this is the right place for this. I guess if it isn't b0b will move it.
I have an old Fiddle that belonged to my great grand father. As I was the only one in the family who played music my Grandpa gave it to me. I've never had an interest in it. I would like to know what it is worth. If some one could suggest some one who could tell me that I would be greatful.
The history of this fiddle is that it once belonged to President Lincoln. My Grandpa was an Enloe and as the story goes Welsey Enloe was a half brother to Lincoln and was given the Fiddle when Lincoln became President.There is no proof only family history. I do know that there is a connection with Enloes and Lincoln's. Lincolns real father is in fact Abraham Enloe but thats another Story.
Thanks BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2009 2:36 pm     old fiddle value

bill: if you will send me some photos i might be able to help, i have about 17 fiddles and probably half of them are old....thanks jack
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2009 4:10 pm    

Might be a good playing fiddle. Don't get your hopes up about it being valuable because of the grandfather thing. Most of the time they turn out to be German factory fiddles that have little value. Let's hope yours is the exception and it's a good French or Italian fiddle.

The Abe Lincoln story might make it more valuable in historic circles than music circles. That is if you have some way to document it.

Call my buddy Fred Carpenter, at the Violin Shop in Nashville. http://theviolinshop.com/

Last edited by Rick Campbell on 23 Nov 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2009 4:26 pm    

This fiddle was given to me at around 17, I would never play it, so I traded to my Dad's cousin for an old guitar. He was a great fiddler who I played rythm guitar with for several years. Before he died he gave me the fiddle back. He was also a very good fiddle maker. He told me several time's that this was the best fiddle he ever played.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 4:30 am     old fiddle

Bill: Someone thats into geniology could trace back thru your ancestry & maybe document the fiddles history. Beautiful, well kept instrument, by the way. In having it evaluated, don't forget the bow. Sometimes a bow is worth much more than the fiddle. Had it happen to me.
My Daughter is big into geneology & I'm going to put her on this for you. She'll probably email you with some questions to start with. Hope she can help you. Happy pickin'. Andy H.
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 6:55 am     Fiddle

That fiddle does have an interesting history. It also proves that Lincoln didn't go to Washington to "fiddle around". Very Happy
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 7:03 am    

Thanks Andy, I'm also a Genealogist as is my brother and several cousins. The lincoln thing has been traced and has pretty much been proven. It has been known to be one of the biggest politcal cover up's in history. You can google the Enloe/ Lincoln connection and find it. I have traced it back and Abe Enloe is a direct connection to my Grand pa Enloe. From a young age I was told of the Lincoln connection. It wasn't until I got into Genealogy did I start doing research about it. As for the fiddle I can't find any proof, Only what has been handed down through word of mouth. But knowing my grandpa Enloe,
I have to beleave its true,but without a photo of it with Lincoln its going to be hard to prove.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Last edited by Bill Dobkins on 24 Nov 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 8:01 am    

Bill,

Maybe you could get someone with Photoshop to make a picture of Abe playing the fiddle on the Grand Ole Opry. No......... that timing won't work. Besides, he didn't wear the right kind of hat for a fiddle player anyway. Laughing

Seriously, you should probably get everyone that has some information about this fiddle and Abe to write down what they know, and then you summerize it and get them all to sign it as their "story". It's not a picture, but it's better than nothing. As time goes on, these type things tend to have more meaning. Actually, with Photoshop, etc... you can't really trust a picture anymore. So, it often comes down to someones word, and the more you have the better.

Senator Robert Byrd - WV - is a fiddler. He might be someone to talk to.

Good luck with it.

Smile

Smile
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 9:08 am    

Thought you might like to see this.
The one on the left is Wesley Enloe half brother to Abe Lincoln.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Tony Smith

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 12:38 pm    

Bill, what you have there as you know, is a wonderful and beautiful old fiddle. Wish I could help you as far as it's worth. I have an old fiddle that's over three hundred years old. I had it apprarised in K.C. forty years ago, and they said it was worth about $100.00. I hated to hear that.LOL I'm sure yours is worth much more. Good luck finding out.
Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 3:49 pm     old fiddle

Bill; I'd like to suggest you contact the 'Antique Road Show' which airs on public TV here. They have some prety sharp appraisers & I'm sure they would be interested in this, altho you say you can't prove the story. It could still be a valuable one. I bought my oldest son an old one to take lessons in grade school 40 yrs aggo. Noticed it had a Gunarious label which a local violin appraiser said was false but it was still worth $500.00. Made my day, since I only paid $100.00 for it. Still got it, by the way. Good luck with yours. Smile Andy H.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 4:23 pm    

Gene Bearden Violins in St. Louis is a respected appraiser. The average antique appraiser couldn't do it. You need an experienced violin dealer. I could tell you lots of "old" fiddle stories.

Smile
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2009 9:36 pm    

tHANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS.
TONY, I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO TUNE IT UP AND PLAY IT SOMETIME AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 5:32 am     Anything Lincoln...

Hey, that's cool. Anything with an authentic Lincoln connection is highly sought after by collectors. A scrap of paper with his handwriting, a book with his name written in his hand, a fiddle???

That picture of his half brother is remarkable too.

I'd have it appraised by the experts on all things Lincoln. I'll bet there are a lot of historians and biographers who might fill in the blanks about his fiddle playin' days. (There had to have been a honky tonk or roadhouse in Springfield, don't ya think?)

Good Luck,

BDBassett
Rimrock AZ
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 3:38 pm    

Honestly Bill, I don't think he ever played a fiddle.
I wish I had ask my Grandpa a few questions about all
of this, but i was young and stupid and it was the farthest thing from my mind.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2009 4:45 pm    

Bill Dobkins wrote:
Honestly Bill, I don't think he ever played a fiddle.
I wish I had ask my Grandpa a few questions about all
of this, but i was young and stupid and it was the farthest thing from my mind.

Davey Crockett was a fiddle player. (He didn't do too well in Texas though). Washington played fiddle and flute. Thomas Jefferson was a fiddle player too. Nixon and Truman played piano. Clinton played saxaphone.

Smile
Royace Buehrlen

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 10:20 am    

Very interesting, Bill! You may want to contact "The History Detectives", here it is on channel 9 public tv program. They like projects like this one.

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2009 4:33 pm    

History Detectives: Submit Your Mystery
Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 4:07 pm    

Jeff Evans wrote:
History Detectives: Submit Your Mystery

Hey Bill,

I checked out this website, and it appears to be free! Whaddya got to lose? I'd go for it if it were me. While I doubt they'd go for just any old fiddle, I feel pretty sure the Lincoln connection would cinch it. Even if the fiddle itself is not valuable, the Lincoln connection would make it highly desirable to collectors if the link could be authenticated. You might be very glad you did it.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.