| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1974 Blanton D-10 for sale
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 10:18 pm    

You can hear and see this steel at these two links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQN29bYgy-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxUHtoTFGw&feature=related

1974 Blanton Double neck 10 string; 8 pedals and 4 knee levers: $1,200.00 The C6th uses one knee lever and 5 pedals and the E9th 4 knee levers and 3 pedals. The steel is a dark green. It was built by Jerry Blanton out of San Antonio in 1974 and I am the original owner. Jerry is a steel player and built steels for a lot of the Texas players like Jimmy Day. The steel is VERY study and weighs 100 lbs. It has very little cabinet drop and stays in tune very well from gig to gig. It has a lot of road wear. The case is very worn but was built to last. The steel is missing a tiny screw on one of the tuners on the C6th neck (but it still works). There is a small switch to split the pickup coil for the C6th neck which has broken off. The wood body is framed in steel and chrome - very solid. There is a small crack in the wood - it's been there for 20 years.

All in all it has a great sound and plays well. It is very easy to change the knee lever and pedal settings. I have three extra rods and so it opens the door to some additional settings. I am currently playing a single neck Emmons and would like to sell the Blanton.

Thank you for looking!! Smile
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 8:12 am     Can't Believe it

I can't believe Bill is selling this guitar , I remember the day he bought it. He and Richard Mullen , Stevie Ray's engineer, bought one each the same day from Blanton. It's a great sounding guitar and someone will be getting a cool piece steel history. Bill is one of the people who helped me get started playing the steel.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 10:47 am    

Very cool guitar! I'd sure like to see a "head over heels" pic. Always interested in the mechanics of a steel I've never seen before.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 3:42 pm     Cool Carpet

Nice carpet.Bill. Is that an Iranian tribal? Looks like it might be an older one. I'm into old carpets as much as I'm into steel. steve t
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 3:56 pm    

South Caucasus, Kazak?
steve takacs

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 4:45 pm    

John besides, Kline guitars are you also into carpets? Yeah, could very well be Kazak. First I thought it was Iranian Heriz and now a Soumak from the Caucasus but I'm not sure. Usually those have four medallions. Sorry for hijacking the thread, Bill.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 5:57 pm    

Steve,
I used to do some dealing in antiques. Came across an interesting carpet that I'm still trying to identify. It's a prayer rug, but it came out of a Greek Orthodox Church in Milwaukee! Very worn, but very interesting. Looks Caucasus to me,
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 6:09 pm    

that's funny...i've got a rug very similar in design and tone as this one..slightly larger, that i grew up playing with toys on at my grandmother's house.
how do you find out about them...a rughead told me it might be worth $100 or less.

oh....nice blanton...i love the sound of it...really got some soul.
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 7:28 pm     Hey Bubba Gould!

I remember having you sit in with us at the Texas Opry House. You showed up with that red 335 and started ripping off a bunch of 32nd notes!!!! From then on whenever we'd play the Opry House the owner would always ask; "Where's that other guitar player"!

Yes, I am retiring the Blanton. Gone are the days when could I walk up three flights of stairs with the Banton in one hand (100 lbs) and my Twin in the other (100 lbs).
That Blanton has shared the stage with; Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Asleep at the Wheel, Gatemouth Brown, David Allen Coe, BW Stevens, et al.

Today I play an Emmons LeGrande III SD 10 with a double coil, 4 pedals and 6 knee levers. But that Blanton still has a great tone. You almost got me thinkin' about not selling!

I'm sure she'll get a good home!
John Gould

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 10:14 pm     The pictures are in the video

There are some great photo's in the video at this
link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQN29bYgy-
If I had the bucks sitting around I would get this guitar. I saw your Emmons in the back round on the youtube video.

Last edited by John Gould on 19 Nov 2009 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
steve takacs

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 12:48 am    

True enough, John, and Bill will surely sell the Blanton. Didn't think there was any harm done making a comment about the carpet, and apparently neither did Bill. I honestly don't think our carpet comments are going to deter any potential Blanton buyers. steve t
Max W. Thompson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 1:43 pm    

And even a bump up about the rug is a bump up for a good guitar. I wish I was ready for a double neck Blanton. I still haven't found everything on my single-neck Blanton. They are great instruments.
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 3:05 pm     Steve Takacs

Steve - I am not sure what kind of carpet that is, but it is very pretty and goes well with my hardwood floors in the studio! I always enjoy playing in an aesthetic environment - when possible! Thanks for the info. Do you play pedal steel in China?
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 3:07 pm     Max

Max - just curios about your Blanton. Got any pics? Do you know its history?

Thanks!
Max W. Thompson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 6:06 pm    

My Blanton is an 4S10 with 4 pedals and 4 knee levers. The fellow I got it from has been playing a Blanton for years, and had acquired this one roundabout from another old gentleman in San Antonio that must have never really played it much, because it was in excellent condition for a 30+ year old instrument.

Jerry Blanton told me he built about 36 of these back in the mid 1970s, and the knee levers must have been added on, as he didn't build them with knee levers. Another one of these, without levers, came up on auction right after i got this one, and I kick myself for not gettign it, as I could have used it for playing with different tunings.

I had started on a starter psg, which I was too big for (well, how big an old boy are you?), and the first time I sat down at the Blanton it was like moving up from a VW to a Cadilac, though it's built like a Sherman tank.

It looks like this:

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but you asked, and I hadn't gotten around to even taking any pictures, yet. Pay no attention to the ratty old shoes that made it into every picture, and sorry, but the rug ain't Persian.

Hope someone buys that D10 of yours soon.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 7:44 pm    

Bill, does it have the original pickups?
Did Jerry wind his own?
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 10:07 pm     Max

Max - Thanks for sharing the history and pics. I didn't know Jerry built them without knee levers. Whoever had those added may have had Jerry do the work; they look the same as mine.

I think your pickup is the same as the one on my E9th. This was a new design he had put together; a hotter pickup.

Yep - built like a tank - made to last!
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 10:10 pm    

Bent - I am pretty sure Jerry wound his own pickups. The ones in my Blanton are the original pickups.
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 10:19 pm    

SOLD!!!
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2009 1:47 pm    

Congrats Bill. I love my circa 1968 Blanton...with the cigarette holder and Jerry-made volume pedal (not shown but oh so cool). Jerry's pickups (and taps) are great! Someone's going to be VERY happy

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2009 1:50 pm    

Wish one of you guys would post a pic of the underside! I'd like to see the works.
John Gould

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2009 6:10 pm     Underside

Here You go John
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2009 7:16 pm    

Thanks JG!