| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Gauges for D Tuning on Dobro??
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 2:04 pm    

What string gauges are used on a Dobro for a D tuning, high to low?:

A
F#
D
A
F#
D

OR:

What is the proper tuning for a D tuned Dobro with string gauges? The one above is the same as a G tuning just moved up to D. It seems it would be too high in pitch.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
James Inkster

Ukee, BC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 2:39 pm    

I would use:
D
A
F#
D
A
D

I use this on acoustic guitars with either medium or heavy gauge strings (where I'd normally just use medium on that guitar). The heavier gauge won't be a problem, since you're tuned down...
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 3:06 pm    

Yes, I'd use the tuning James has posted high to low. The (G) standard open tuning string gauges can be used since you're lowering the strings.
String gauges as follows:

OPEN G OPEN D

1st D .016 (D)
2nd B .018 (A)
3rd G .028 (F#) "flattened if needed"
4th D .036 (D)
5th B .046 (A)
6th G .056 (D)
James Inkster

Ukee, BC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 3:09 pm    

Also...
To get your head around the tuning more quickly (assuming you're familiar with dobro 'G'), look at the intervals -- things are just shifted 'down'.

So, licks you may have played on strings 1 and 2 in 'G' are now on strings 2 and 3 in 'D'...

It's definitely a different tuning than G, but I prefer it -- for the most part I can do whatever I would have done in G, plus I can have that high D first string drone... and I like the string 1/string 3 forward slant...

anyway.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 6:43 pm    

Thanks guys.

The tuning James posted makes more sense.

Kevin,

I have a question on the 6th string as far as the gauge. Wouldn't lowering the G down to a D make the .056 too loose and sloppy sounding? I guess I could try it on my Tut and see.

Does anybody just use one reso tuned to G and retune for D when needed or do you use 2 different reso's for each tuning?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 10:28 pm    

I tune to DADF#AD most of the time, and use a regular set of dobro strings, intended for standard GBDGBD tuning. It works just fine, and I can tune up to G when I need to. It's not necessary to have two guitars, since the string gauges work for both tunings.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 3:21 am    

Exactly. I've been using Bill Asher's acoustic set and it works fine for D tuning on either Dobro or Weissenborn. From D you can easily tune to DADGAD, Dmaj7, G and few other useful tunings.
Philip Tamarkin

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 7:21 am    

The low D will be a little sloppy, but still works OK, or try an .058 or .060 to tighten it up.
Tom Gray

Decatur, GA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 8:13 am    

I make my own D sets from juststrings.com and use a .048 on the fifth and a .060 on the sixth. It's great on a resonator or electric but -- warning, danger -- can pull up the bridge on a Weissenborn.

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 8:18 am    

Be very careful on an older Weissie - I use a standard 16-56 Dobro set and tune it to open C to reduce tension. Bill Hardin (Bear Creek Guitars)says an .058 or .060 is fine on his instruments.
Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 12:42 pm     My big fat gauges

.068 .048 .038 .032 .026p .018

Right now I'm using nickel wound and a .070 on the bottom.

I like the fact that the bar doesn't make the string 'give' and go sharp.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 5:36 pm    

Thanks everyone. I was about to buy a second reso, but this should work out good.

Does anyone ever just lower the 6th string G to F# when re-tuning to D?
James Inkster

Ukee, BC
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2009 5:45 pm    

There'd be no harm in trying that... I like having the root on the bottom there, but whatever floats your boat Smile

You're not going to get much response from dobro players -- dobro players traditionally stick to the G tuning and capo (or adjust) as needed...

I play a lot in open D, occasionally in G... but I'm not playing traditional bluegrass dobro...
Tom Gray

Decatur, GA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 5:19 am    

Or you can adjust your G tuning to your D: keep the low D and lower the fifth string from A to G. The low-bass G tuning has a rich tradition.

Post  Posted 30 May 2024 7:38 am    

2024 Update:

Since I now have 2 resonators, I want to put the D tuning on one (Regal RD-40) and G on the other (Recording King Professional [new to me this year]).

I tried tuning the G tuning down to D and despise the sound of the sloppy 6th string. I found a set of John Pearse strings on JustStrings.com that has a heavier bottom. The gauges are: .016 .018 .027w .039w .049w .059w. I am upgrading the cone and installing my Schatten pickup on the Regal next week and will put these strings on.
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 12:59 am     Re: String Gauges for D Tuning on Dobro??

Richard Sinkler wrote:

A
F#
D
A
F#
D

OR:

What is the proper tuning for a D tuned Dobro with string gauges? The one above is the same as a G tuning just moved up to D. It seems it would be too high in pitch.

Guys, all responses are meaningless without knowing the SCALE of the instrument and the OCTAVE of the note.

State the scale of the instrument! From there the octave can be assumed.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 May 2024 2:14 am     Re: String Gauges for D Tuning on Dobro??

Tony Oresteen wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

A
F#
D
A
F#
D

OR:

Guys, all responses are meaningless without knowing the SCALE of the instrument and the OCTAVE of the note.

State the scale of the instrument! From there the octave can be assumed.

I don't think they are meaningless as these guys are probably experienced players. And a handful of posts down from the post you quoted, I corrected the tuning to the standard open D tuning.

The scale is 25".
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 9:36 am    

Adding to what Richard wrote, the overwhelming majority of modern squareneck resonators have a 25" scale length. There are some historic old Dobro brand guitars where it varies slightly, sometimes with a 24.75" scale length.

Every so often a small shop builder might put out something like a "travel dobro" with a shorter scale and more compact body - but these are quite rare.

In other words, squareneck resos aren't anything like electric lap and non pedal steel guitars where scale lengths can be all over the map. If one puts on a set of what is sold as "dobro strings" on any of these guitars for G and D tunings, except for the very rare exceptions - you're good to go.

Jerry Douglas stated many years ago that the .056w 6th string when tuned down to D from G can be a little "floppy" but it doesn't bother him. It's never bothered me either.

If I had guitar that stayed permanently in Open D then (like Pete Grant) I would put on a beefier 6th string, but since I play in G tuning the vast majority of the time and occasionally tune down to D, the typical dobro set of 16/17-56 works just fine.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 1 Jun 2024 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 12:51 pm    

I too play the G tuning. I'm only trying the open D because I have the second resonator guitar. There's probably a 90% chance it will never see a stage.