| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nash 1000/Session 400 Need a Louder Amp
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 9:20 am    

Dilemma:

I love my NV 112 but am playing some larger venues and have to contend with loud guitar players. I've tried my vibrosonic, but have become more accustom to the tone of the peavey. I am relatively new to this instrument and would like to keep the clarity of the 112 but at louder volumes. I'm considering:

Buying another NV 112
Buying a NV 1000
Firing the guitar player! Smile

or

I have come across some great session 400's but have heard they require a mod (lemay etc) to cut down on mid-range etc.

I know tone is subjective, but I think you get where I'm going. Louder volumes, cleaner tone, good bass response/not to honky. Yes, I'm a tone freak, and want to ensure the entire audience can hear every one of my mistakes! Smile
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 10:46 am     keep it. Your back will thank you.

Why not just mic it? or use the line-out from it.
I've heard this works pretty darn well.

Vancouver, BC, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 11:48 am    

I don't think you'll have any troubles with the guitar player if you show up with this:

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 11:58 am    

If you like the tone controls of the N112, it would probably be best to run a line out into a power amp and speaker. The TC Furlong powered 15" should do the trick nicely:
<center>

</center>

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 1:16 pm    

Wouldn't Bob's suggestion be essentially the same as running out of the NV112 line-out to the PA mix board? Or is it better to stay out of the PA mix?

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 1:40 pm    

No. Running a line out of your amp into the board doesn't help with sound on stage, which is where he's having trouble competing with the guitarists. Also, a line out from the amp doesn't give you the tone of your speaker, which is an important component of a steel player's overall tone. Adding another cabinet with a beefier power amp and a good, dedicated speaker should solve the problem nicely.

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 2:45 pm    

To answer your question. It is my understanding that the Nashville 112 and the Nashville 1000 sound the same, only the 1000 is louder. I have a NV 1000 and I can't imagine any situation where it would not have enough power.

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 4:22 pm    

I vote for option #3.
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 4:48 pm    

I use a steel king with a black widow when I need to cut through some loud stage volume. It works well. The other added effect is watching people cringe in pain when I hit hi notes.

So this is what I have been doing with the 112:

I have a conversation with the sound guy/girl, and tell him/her that I want my leads as loud as the guitar player, and that I want to rely on the micing of my amp to accomplish this. I then aim my amp at my head from about 2 feet away and use it as my monitor to make sure I can

a. hear myself
    b. have control over my tone
    c. insure my stage volume is low enough that the people in front of me are not being blasted directly from my amp

If its real loud I move my amp closer, sometimes its right at my feet.

the result is I have better warmer tone being pumped through the house, spread out nicely amongst several speakers instead of having a point source of brutal Piercing pain that only a small percentage of the crowd hears/feels/is deafened by.

This has been working and my steel king and nash 400 have been sitting in a practice space.

If everyone in the band aimed their amps at there heads this whole stage volume issue would go away after one show.

The other issue is reminding everyone that you are sitting down closer to the amps than they are. Therefore they should make sure they are not blasting you in the ear with their epic behind the neck solos that o so much more important than anything else in the song.. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad other than that I recommend a frag or incendiary grenade.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 5:03 pm    

Steve... you do have a way with words Very Happy
I could not have said it better.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2009 2:00 pm    

I use both the NV112 and the NV1000. Whereas the 112 is a fine amp, the NV1000 is the one on steroids and can definitely hold it's own against any of the guitarist I've ever played with.

I've been drooling over the T.C. Furlong SPLIT for some time now....problem is that I want two, a 12" AND the 15" Very Happy .

Someday soon...... Cool

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 6:33 am     Nashville 112

Mic it and return it back through your monitor, or purchase a second Nashville 112 or a Nashville 1000. I would go for the second Nashville 112.