| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Case refinishing materials
Scott Moon

Canyon Lake, TX
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 6:24 am    

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct place but where can I find the outer black covering and the inner lining materials? I am needing to rebuild a case and don't know where to look for the materials. I'm NOT looking for the "Carpet" type material.....
Thanks,
Scott
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 7:49 am    

Some upholstery shops have it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 9:00 am    

Parts Express www.partsexpress.com sells the "carpet" material (and some case hardware). If you want to use something different to line the inside of the case, most use "crushed velvet" and an auto upholstery shop or a Joann's arts and crafts store will probably have that.

I relined my old Franklin case with crushed velvet that I bought at a flea market - in a booth that was selling car interior upholstery materials.

I built a two piece case set for my Franklin about two years ago and just used the carpet material for both inside and outside (bought from Parts Express).

I'll be building a new case for Don Sulesky's Weenik SD-10, in about a month, and will be using the carpet material for inside and out on that case.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 16 Nov 2009 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 7:05 pm    

Assuming you are wanting "tolex" type vinyl covering there are a number of places. In addition to th e one Jack mentioned, here are a few more places:

http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/servlet/StoreFront I bought some tolex from thes folks and was happy with their service.

http://www.mojotone.com/

http://www.tubesandmore.com/ look for "Grill Cloth, Tolex, and piping" on the index on the left side of the screen.

Check out Rick Johnson's website http://rickjohnsoncabs.com/index.html for a DVD he sells for around $25 which is a pretty good video about applying tolex yourself,, and reflects some of the tricks and tips. His video is aimed at covering an amp cabinet, but it might also apply to what you're wanting to do.

I hope that helps some.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 9:10 pm    

Scott
I have a bunch of Peavey tolex. I don't know if it's enough for your case needs, so call me and let me know how much you need.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 1:31 am     fabric

JoAnn's fabric has it all. Very good prices too. Check it out you won't be sorry.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 8:34 am    

Hobby Lobby has the "tooled" vinyl material, also crushed velvet, Wal-Mart has auto carpet at a reasonable price if you decide to carpet the outside,black and gray.

BF
Scott Moon

Canyon Lake, TX
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 5:12 pm    

Thanks for all the information! I think I ought to be able to get what I need now...
Herb....I'll give you a shout!
Scott
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 5:43 pm    

Scott if Mr. Herb does not have enough material there are several auto upholstery places in Austin and San Antonio.

If you still have a problem after those clues let me know.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP