| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Mixer by Mark Dunn
David Hartley

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 4:51 am    

I used this for the first time at the weekend, Wow! is all I can say. Mark Dunn's email address is mark@traxcircuits.co.uk if you require some technical info..

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 6:07 am    

I saw a demo by Mark on sunday. this is a must have.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 6:23 am    

Wow,

how cool is that?! What's the bottom knob on the controller do?

Brad
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 10:48 am    

More info Please? Details?

What is "Double Mode"?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 12:03 pm    

I'm hoping this also has an Aux in and Headphone out for private playing, tuning, practicing with iPods.

Will Mark be posting more info and photos? Is at only battery powered?
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 12:10 pm    

the double mode is as I understand, the effect that David Hartley used on some of his tunes.
here at 1.23 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inWsEYuHIdI
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 1:11 pm    

Brad - Thank you for your comment. You produce some pretty cool kit yourself. The bottom knob is a Mode switch that allows users to select common pedal wiring arrangements, at the flick of a switch.

As John Roche said, the Double Mode switch allows you to instantly call up the trick effect that Dave Hartley and Bobbe Seymour have demonstrated nicely on YouTube. In this mode the Steel Mixer repositions the volume pedal after the delay pedal. It also conditions the input to the delay pedal so it doesn't get overloaded by the steel guitar output.

John McClung - it doesn't have an Aux in or headphone socket. It's a device designed to hardware configure your favourite volume, delay and reverb pedals. It provides easy access to the level controls of the delay and reverb using a leg mounted remote box. Most importantly its primary function is to preserve the quality of the dry steel guitar signal, whilst being able to add effects as required.

I designed this unit with some simple thoughts in mind. I wanted the sound that's achieved when you plug a steel straight into an amplifier via only a volume pedal, with the ability to add delay and reverb effects. I wanted to use my own choice of volume pedal, delay pedal and reverb pedal and for all the units to be supplied by a single power supply. I wanted the complete assembly to be simple to setup on stage and reasonably light to transport.

Mark
David Guiterrez

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 1:41 pm    

How much do these cost, and where might one purchase?
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 2:57 pm    

David - We are currently testing the pre-production prototypes and preparing for a production run; so at this point in time you can't buy one. The production date has yet to be decided, but testing is looking good so it shouldn't be too long. Just before the production run I will finalise the component costing and publish the unit cost.

Mark
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 6:34 am     ........

I will try a recording using just the steelmixer and no FX on the track except from these 2 pedals, If its good I will youtube it, if its not I won't..Ha (my playing I meant, I know the mixer will be good)! Laughing
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 8:27 am    

Hi Mark:

Seems like a well thought out, well executed and much needed device. PLEASE let me know when production units are available.

Geoff
Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 10:30 am     Is this like an effects loop?

Does this pedal preserve a non-effected signal path, add an effected path alongside it, and then allow one to adjust the relative mix of clean and effected signal?
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 2:03 pm    

How cool.

I know you've already mentioned that it does not come with a headphone out. But if it did it would be perfect for me.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 10:10 pm     Hi

Rob..YES..That's it.. I am sure Mark will explain more on this..

I demonstrated this to John Russell last night, It's the third time I have used it.. First time was just this last Sunday, I was at a gig with a 5 piece band with John Stannard in the band too, as it was a large hall, the drums were miked up and it was a holiday center type place, I would say about 500 in the audience.. I was not miked and neither was John, we thought we would just wind the volumes up on our amps. Anyway, I was going through the Evans amp (which had enough power to fill this hall un-miked too), and this steel mixer. I was well pleased with the sound from the first number. Thats always nice when this happens. 6 songs into the first set, Bill Conlon sang Help Me Make It Through The Night, I told John I was going to switch it into 'P' mode, (Mark will explain more on this, I am sure), Its where the steel is direct to amp and the effects are added and mixed (at the remote controller) after the original signal has sounded. It was a huge sound, clarity like I have never heard before, This mode is one which, if used on certain songs, just works a treat!

John Russell loved it too. I tried the two Rains into the steelmixer, John's has 705's and mine has 10-1's PU's. I drove his into this mixer purposely try to get too much signal into it, and, there was no distortion, like he gets into his pedal at times..

I will demo this soon, I wished I had the camcorder on last night, you will honestly be amazed at this little box of tricks..

I have known about Mark for a few years now, but we only got to meet and play together at a PSG meeting just last year. Earlier in the year he offered me the chance to try a steelmixer. I collected this protoytpe from him last saturday (the day before the gig with Stannard), He wired it up on the base plate and said 'there you go, try it out'.. Within seconds, I was knocked out with it..

Mark is one hell of a nice guy too. A perfectionist, all the way. I wish him all the best with the steelmixer. I know it will be a 'must have' for those of us who use floor delay and reverb pedals..

He is not getting this back from me now..! I will move house first so he can't find me.!

If you have any questions, I am sure Mark will answer them here on this thread or by email.

I will soon also let you know all about the Evans amp, my settings and how it handles at gigs etc..It certainly managed at this venue..
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 4:22 am    

Rob - Yes, that's almost it; it doesn't allow you to change the clean signal level, just the level of the delay and reverb effect added to the clean signal.

Eric - I understand your thoughts. The problem with adding a headphones output is the increased complication, i.e. I would really need to add tone controls etc. The Steel Mixer would then become a pre-amp and that detracts from the idea.

David - Thank you for the kind comments and enthusiasm for this project. You inspire steel players all around the world, and it's right handy you're just down the road! I can't wait to see your demo, I have to say your tone (I'm talking about as created by the hands) in my studio on Saturday was stunning...... (I'm thinking.... I must practice more....). Moving house won't help you, there's a tracking device in every Steel Mixer... I'm joking... honestly!

The P Mode simply re-arranges the pedal wiring so the delay pedal acts as a pre-delay before the reverb. This is commonly used by players that have programmable rack equipment, but not so commonly used by players with pedals due to the wiring / mixing complications. The implementation of this mode might appear simple in principal, but to make this work required some carefully considered.

I must also mention I've recently been in email contact with Dave Beaty. Dave is involved with the design of the Telonics FP-100 volume pedal. The thought that's gone into designing this pedal is very impressive and the philosophy behind the design in my humble opinion is rock solid. The idea behind producing a few pre-production prototypes is it opens the design up to wider suggestion. The production Steel Mixer will probably have the ability to power up the Telonics pedal.

Dave sent me a link detailing John LeMays pre-amp. Wow, looks impressive. John, I've tried to email you, if you're busy no problem. If you have a spare moment please feel free to contact me; email: mark@traxcircuits.co.uk

Mark
Rob Segal

New York NY
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 5:12 am     Tone Coloring

Mark, sounds very good; an effects loop at 'effects pedal' levels.

How does the unit affect the tone? Is there amplification, signal conversion, buffering, or other processing going on that changes the way the signal sounds?

It would be good to see a close up of the remote control unit.

Rob
Matthew Keon

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 5:17 am    

So, the "P" mode switches the order of the effects loops right?

And the two loops run in parallel?

Last edited by Matthew Keon on 5 Nov 2009 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Dunn

Suffolk, England
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 6:54 am    

Bob Adams has kindly prepared a couple of Youtube vids showing my "pitch" and me playing a song using the Steel Mixer - Thanks once again Bob.

http://www.pedalsteel.co.uk/new-product

I've just noticed the disco lights ha ha.... part the presentation of course!

I should mention the song is Little Darlin', as close as I can get to it Lloyd Green's wonderful version.

Last edited by Mark Dunn on 5 Nov 2009 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 7:29 am    

Great job Mark !
Hook

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 10:52 am    

Mark, Would you please have your first production run prior to my next Steelies Meeting at Great Barford Village hall on the 24th.January.....
Sandra has this crazy idea that we have one as the first prize in our raffle!!! If we go ahead, The tickets for the raffle will be £5-0 each and the raffle could be open to both sides of the pond but if someone in the US or Europe wins it they will have to pay shipping!.....Hows that for an idea???

Either way..... I have seen it and heard it AND I WANT ONE!! so the first one off the line please put down to me Mark Smile
David Hartley

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 9:40 pm     Hi John

Now 'that's' a good idea John.. I have Keith White and John (Jack) Russell hopefully both coming to the meeting. John, give Finley a call. He might even be able to get Pierc'y to come too. I am at a Rock and Roll Re-Union gig the day before the meeting in Reading. I will be at the meeting in the evening with the Evans amp too. I think there will be some interest in this Evans too. Put me down for some tickets for the raffle. and DONT draw it till I get there.. Mark... Get to work and get a few of these ready. I have nothing but good to report about this unit, I tried my best to drive it with the 'hot' 705 on JJR's guitar to see if it would clip or distort, you will be pleased to know it doesn't ! I am using it here at home this week straight into the desk and out through the Martin Audio monitors, its really is just great Mark.. And as for the Tubefex:----....Shmubefex... It's just not needed anymore here in the studio..! Blimey, I must check on the Chilli Con Carni. I started cooking it a 5am..Bye..
David Hartley

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 2:32 pm     Hi

A picture of the remote 'leg' controller..

David Hartley

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 2:41 pm     A snippet from the manual.......

The Inspiration

Have you ever noticed that your guitar sounds great when it’s plugged straight into a combo with just your volume pedal in-line? Yes….. Then you add a delay or reverb pedal…. At first you’re impressed with the fat, full sound that’s produced with the added effect. Then you go to a gig….. Things don’t work out how you expected! That great sound you had in the practice room isn’t there!
After several years of playing guitar and steel guitar through many different amplifiers, effect units and combinations of equipment, in the repair workshop and in a gigging situation one simple fact became clear. The best guitar sounds are often produced using a classic design of amplifier (in good original working order) with no effects. Adding almost any effect in-line deteriorates the basic sound. I started to consider, why? And could there be a solution that would preserve the basic sound while allowing room simulating effects to be added?
Without doubt a good quality reverb and delay effect can greatly enhance the sound of the guitar or steel guitar; if adjusted correctly. Modern digital delay and reverb effects units are capable of producing very controllable and high quality effect emulations. Ironically, the more modern nicer sounding effects often introduce latency (a small delay) into the signal chain. Latency is insignificant in terms of its affect on the delay or reverb, but appears to degrade, as perceived by a musician, the dry element of the sound. For this reason some musicians use older low quality effects units that don’t introduce latency and accept the compromise of a lower quality effect. Adding effects in series often compounds the latency in the signal and remains present even when the effect is bypassed.
The Steel Mixer was designed to make any deterioration in the raw guitar signal negligible, to introduce absolutely no latency, while enabling delay and reverb effects to be integrated into the sound. By using the Steel Mixer you really can have the best of both worlds, a great dry sound, combined with high quality modern digital reverb and delay.
How Does It Work?
The Steel Mixer circuitry uses around 200 carefully selected components. The fundamental principal and signal flow is relatively simple. But to make the unit work in a way that is useful to the musician, and integrates with the steel guitar and effect pedals, required some careful consideration during the design process.
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 4:16 pm     Wow

Hi mark, I've got to have one, put me on the list, if David is this wound up about it , it's got to be good.
Looking forward to getting one.
Bill
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 6:10 pm     Mark

I forgot to mention that the unit looks absolutley great, I know you've put a lot of work into the unit.
Let me know how much when you get them ready for the market.
Looking forward in hearing from you.
Bill