| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Shivering Bar
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 6:38 am    

Bar shiver such as that heard in John Hughey's intros and fill in past recordings, combined with tasty original intro fills are the ultimate in listening pleasure. Hopefully, some of the future players on pedal steel will be able to grasp John's techniques. It has been noted that many steel players have become 5th wheels in country bands of late. Today, the strains of country\rock is a serious threat to "Crying Steel Guitars" as rock oriented groups merge into country bands.
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 7:35 am    

My first response to a Bill Hankey post........
Your 100% on the money!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jaclyn Jones

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 8:08 am    

I live in Texas! Houston yet! Even here most of the working, so called "Country groups", do not have a steel in the band. Tons of effect pedals, but no steel.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 8:33 am    

[img]

I,m very lucky to be playing in a new country band , I think at the time we where playing "Save the Horse" when this pic. was taken Crying or Very sad Joe
www.willowcreekband.com
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 9:04 am    

Joe, were you improvising, or was that rehearsed? Laughing
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 9:11 am    

He's trying to imitate Buddy on the cover of the Black Album.

Laughing Razz
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 10:48 am    

Joe, when you've got some time, please tab that out for us! Very Happy Laughing
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 12:40 pm    

The inimitable Hugheyland Highs and bar shivers are legacies of one generously kind steel guitarist.
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 1:11 pm    

I wonder, did that beautiful shiver come from moving his whole left arm, from the elbow out, or was it all wrist movement?
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 1:17 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Joe, when you've got some time, please tab that out for us! Very Happy Laughing

Hard to explain! Using strings 3and5 and 4and8, Makes a great horse whinny, It takes a lot of practice. I make my steel cry and the horse. You would have to hear to believe Very Happy JHoe
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 2:00 pm    

Lee,

I think it would be reasonable to think the bar movements were made from the "elbow out." The finesse is incredible. You tube provides John's performance of "Look At Us" at the International Steel Show in St. Louis. His bar hand is in clear view. The bare arm is clearly visible.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 4 Nov 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 2:15 pm    

He could play and then some, John was a great
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 10:46 pm    

"Papa" John's sound was unique, the product of many years of playing, practice and a deep and genuine understanding of the genre and how he could best contribute to the overall sound of the music. It was always the music first; he never intruded, he just added that indefinable something to it.

Most of us know his E9th playing as his signature sound, but I'd rate him as amongst the greatest C6th players of all time as well (The "Time Jumpers" DVD is documentary proof of this assertion). Whether making the steel cry up in Hugheyland, or bouncing around the bottom neck with a bar-hand that seems to float on a microscopic cushion of air, John Hughey was incomparably unique, awe-inspiring, and a perpetual joy to the ears of the discerning.

As fine an ambassador for the steel-guitar as we are ever likely to have.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 4:54 am    

Ned,

In an article written on 10/09/08 you had pointed out John's ability to change a broken string in the middle of a number, and be back in tune, ready for the last verse. I believe you saw him make the quick change in Canberra, Australia back in the 70's. Thanks for sharing some thoughts about his special skills.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 7:32 am    

Quote:
It has been noted that many steel players have become 5th wheels in country bands of late.

Absolutely, Bill. Let me take it a step further - without steel players, there would be no 5th wheels. Winking
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 7:59 am    

Barry,

Perhaps a bit harsh on my part, but I found it difficult to describe a pedal steel guitarist who is barely visible, while crouched from a remote positioning, and virtually out of view.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 11:06 am    

John had all kinds of great subtle techniques such as creative use of the volume pedal, but I never noticed a great deal of what I would call bar shiver.

Then there was John's ability to change a broken string in the middle of a number, and be back in tune, ready for the last verse.
Disclaimer: Do not even think about attempting this on a Sho-Bud.
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 11:22 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Barry,

Perhaps a bit harsh on my part, but I found it difficult to describe a pedal steel guitarist who is barely visible, while crouched from a remote positioning, and virtually out of view.

I see this all the time, and refuse to play like that. I either make space for my parts or I leave the band.

I have just started liking my bar shiver. For me slowing it down and increasing it as the note fades gets good results. When I try and imitate Mr Hughey's style it sounds like Im making haunted house noises. I still have so far to go as John's bar is set very high.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 10:44 pm    

Steve N.,

Closeups of John's last performances reveal the inner strength of the man. You Tube features one song in particular from classic country, ("Key's In The Mailbox")... that I'm quite sure is John playing the steel parts for Conway. It demonstrates how the management of "bar shiver" is responsible for one of the most alluring features in the art of playing steel guitar. I've been convinced that great successes are just a "bar shiver" away in combination with special arrangements.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 3:42 pm    

To really hear the master at work, you need to have seen him play behind Twitty, when he sang, "She needs someone to hold her when she cries."

If anyone feels John didn't shiver the bar, then I'd have to add, then they never seen John play.

He was the master of his art. "The sound that Made Twitty." Smile

Here's one

Another one

Enjoy
Robert Laurie

Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 6:10 pm     Don Brown Sr;

Thanks for the links, great classic sounds! Conway Twitty will always be a good ole boy in my books!

Thanks again.
Rob.

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 10:39 pm    

I have to be part of any John Hughey thread Smile....I'm a huge fan. To me, his playing is the epitome of steel guitar, period. NOBODY could play up top like Hughey.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 5:51 am    

Sadly, we spend many years trying to unlock so many doors, that will lead us to beautiful renditions of various melodies. Then all at once we wonder how the years have swiftly passed. The steel guitar's intricate multiplicities of studies, will absorb many youthful years through practice sessions. We cannot redo great moments in our lives. It is only through memories that lifestyle changes are acted upon; through sickness and health. Old memories can be completely erased, and then something triggers a response that is nothing short of incredible. A clear reenactment of a "lost memory" returns.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 7:19 am    

Papa John...The most endearing quality was the man he was. Yes, he was one of the greats of the instrument, but above that, he was a gentleman's gentleman. Every time you met him, he treated you like a long time friend that he had not seen for a while. February at the Saluda jam just not the same without John.

Bill
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 8:05 am    

Bill F.,

It is most difficult to realize how we are viewed through another's eyes. When John's eyes rested upon a visitor for the first time, he always maintained a friendly expression; one that never seemed to change.