| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Picks On Upside-Down
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 6:13 pm    

Have you ever noticed that when someone puts finger picks on for the first time, especially if they've never played the guitar before, they tend to put them on upside down ? Whoa! This is especially prevalent with women, and I think I've figured it out.

Classical guitarist grow their nails long on their left hand, and cut them short on the right hand. Women are familiar with false nails, which are glued on top of their real nails. It therefore follows that, if finger picks are alternatives to long nails, then they should elongate the nails.

It's also obvious that you cannot play classical guitar with finger picks on, because some techniques on classical guitar require you to strike the strings with the nails rather than pick them, which is impossible with finger picks on.
Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2009 7:44 pm     Re: Finger Picks On Upside-Down

Alan Brookes wrote:
... if finger picks are alternatives to long nails, then they should elongate the nails. ...

Which would be why I tried -this- in the first place

And it works quite well.

I tried some of those Alaska-piks that are made to go under your nail, but they were the most uncomfortable thing I ever put on my finger...

BTW, I also use Andy Hinton's Coated picks ( worn the other way) and those are probably the MOST comfortable thing I've worn !
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 5:58 am    

Alan -

You've got it backwards regarding the fingernails of a classical guitarist. Short nails on the left hand - longer nails (and shaped) on the right.
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 6:16 am    

About the nails, Alan is right if talking about a left-handed picker. Very Happy
The other way is right if you're right-handed. Razz
but what if you're ambi-nail-dextrous ? Laughing
Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 7:29 am    

Yes sir alan I have seen it happen Very Happy One time my sister said let me play that thing Smile She put the picks on like you would to climb out of a barrel Laughing

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 9:34 am    

Richard Damron wrote:
Alan -

You've got it backwards regarding the fingernails of a classical guitarist. Short nails on the left hand - longer nails (and shaped) on the right.
That's what I meant to say. Embarassed
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 9:51 am     Re: Finger Picks On Upside-Down

Alan Brookes wrote:
Have you ever noticed that when someone puts finger picks on for the first time, especially if they've never played the guitar before, they tend to put them on upside down ? ...

Alan,
I made this very same observation at the end of my post here.
I agree with the natural tendency to look at fingerpicks as a replacement fingernails at first sight. I think of them now more as thimbles to protect my fingertips from excessive wear. Oh, and by the way, those last two strings are upside down too! Confused
Clete
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 12:51 am    

About the nails, Alan is right if talking about a left-handed picker. Very Happy
The other way is right if you're right-handed. Razz
but what if you're ambi-nail-dextrous ?

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous .
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 3:37 am    

One of the best lead guitarists of this area (Nink Horton) died of lung cancer in the nineties. Nink was a very accomplished player and was known for using a thumbpick and one fingerpick. His wife had decided to have him buried with his favorite custom Stratocaster. I was to be one of his pallbearers and it was to be a graveside service, so the night before at the viewing I walked up to the casket to look at him. There he was with his red Strat across his chest and his right hand in "pickin" position. I looked down and to my horror they'd put his fingerpick on backward where it was covering his nail..... I reached down and just picked up his finger and turned it around, then I took his thumbpick and shoved it on a little farther as he always wore it. I couldn't let him be laid away like that!.....JH in Va.

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 4:14 am    

I once found out how good of a teacher I am. I had a guy that wanted to learn steel so I told him I would show him the basics. He sat his guitar up facing mine and I started to show him the picking groups. I then noticed he had his pick on upside-down. When I brought it to his attention he told me that is how they told him at the music store to wear them and that he has been practicing with them that way and getting along real well. When I could not get past that basic step, I told him to pack up his guitar and go home. If I did not have enough clout with him as to how to put on picks, how could I teach him anything else? My teaching career ended........
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 9:52 am     Innovative

I guess if you learn to do it one way and you are good at it that way it isn't an issue to concern yourself with. I myself am curious how thoes player developed using no picks. I mean the string spacing is so narrow. Do they use the finger tips ot the nails. I have never met anyone that goes pickless, so I don't know.

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 10:57 am     Re: Finger Picks On Upside-Down

Alan Brookes wrote:
It's also obvious that you cannot play classical guitar with finger picks on, because some techniques on classical guitar require you to strike the strings with the nails rather than pick them, which is impossible with finger picks on.

Actually, it's because finger picks sound like a$$ compared to nails on nylon strings Mr. Green Also, finger picks really get in the way of classical guitar technique which is extremely precise.

If you're used to playing with your nails like a classical guitarist, putting finger picks on upside down feels terrible and gives you no control compared to nails.

Most folks who have experience with using their nails on standard guitar find the Propik Fingertones the best finger picks to use with steel strings.

The photo of Stan with those upside down picks looks painfully tight! Whoa!

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 12:36 pm     Re: Finger Picks On Upside-Down

Twayn Williams wrote:

Most folks who have experience with using their nails on standard guitar find the Propik Fingertones the best finger picks to use with steel strings.

The photo of Stan with those upside down picks looks painfully tight! Whoa!

I have a pair of ProPiks on their way to me ATVM.The only pics that I can wear loosely are Andy Hinton's Coated ones, any other pic has to be that tight or they fly off, no matter which way they're facing...LOL