| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new to PSG!
Steven Dingle

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 6:48 pm    

Hi all! (ps...i just noticed I posted this on the steel forum....thought i'd repost it here since it is pedal steel I meant to post it to....you know getting old!)

Just wanted to post a note thanking everyone for letting me watch on the sidelines while I made the decision to start PSG!

After much research, I went ahead and bought a guitar from Fred Justice, who really helped me every step of the way in getting started. Thanks Fred!

I have included a picture of my new "baby", and just love the tone and how it plays! I look forward to continuing to learn from this forum as I "hopefully" gain proficiency in this excellent new undertaking!

Again, Thanks!
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 7:08 pm    

Well steve, your off to a good start. You got a good Steel and Fred will help you along the way, as we all will. I just don't like that Logo... Laughing Devil Arrow Arrow Razz
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 7:29 pm     Re: new to PSG!

Steven Dingle wrote:
... I made the decision to start PSG! ...

Steven,

That's a pretty PSG... and congrats on the endeavor.
Are you starting out cold on the PSG? ... or are there any non-PSG instruments you've played prior to this decision? Just Curious.
Steven Dingle

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 8:12 pm    

Well, Jeff...

I am both a guitar and keyboard player that lost 3 fingers off my left hand 3 years ago in an accident...many suggested I learn PSG, and after I got up the gumption, i made the jump! So while I am new to PSG, hopefully, my past training will satnd me in good stead!
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 8:46 pm    

Welcome Steven! Freddo has helped me out quite a bit too in the last 4 years, just gotta love that guy. In fact just about every steel player I have met since I first joined the Forum in 1998 has helped me in one way or another. The Steel Guitar world is the closest thing to a real family I've ever seen or heard about!

Your prior musical experience should be a big help. Mine was for me. I just wish I would have started playing steel 20 years earlier!

JW

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 8:29 pm    

Thanks for all yor support! I just recieved my new nv 112...i had been using my old fender blues deluxe (dirty.....). I look forward to hearing what settings people use for this. On first impression it sounds a bit thin and "mid-ie"...I may just need to break this puppy in to loosen it up! Laughing
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 10:17 pm    

Welcome
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 11:56 pm    

Steven,
Welcome to the forum.

Steven Dingle wrote:
...it sounds a bit thin and "mid-ie"...

A tip I learned here from b0b (our benevolent moderator), is to crank the bass up full, get a nice volume level, and add mids and treble in till its good.
Also, Peavey has the sweepable mid freq and level that you can cut at around 800 to help dial in your steel sound. Hope this helps.
Clete