| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Frankilin Change
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 4:33 am    

I read every once in a while how many have to change their pedals to get the Franklin change -
This is what I do - I have a knee lever raising my 4th string 1 full step and just slide my bar down 2 frets - gives you about the same thing - plus a unison with the 1st string and also a nice change when you are in the pedal down position to raise the 4th a whole tone and leave the other strings as they are without a bar move and releasing pedals - plus a 4 note change on that string - I use it a lot and didn't have to use a pedal Smile

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 6:48 am    

Ron, could you explain that one some other way so that my slow brain can comprehend it? Also if you know of any difficulties associated with this change. I would like to learn about something that works as well as the regular PF change because it is such a dog to get on my changer.
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 7:16 am    

Bent - the Franklin change lowers strings 5,6 & 10 one full step - If you raise the 4th string a full step and just move your bar down 2 frets, it's the same chord

5th fret (key of A) with Frankiln change will give you the same thing as this does on the 3rd fret with the 4th string raised - Same notes on strings 4,5,6,8 - cripes, I'n not good on explaining this - hope this helps

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 7:40 am    

Ron, are you only raising the 4th a whole step, or both the 4th and 8th string?
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 7:43 am    

I only raise the 4th - you could do both, but that wouldn't be the same as the Franklin change if you did - You want the 8th string to lower 1 step with the bar move

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 8:09 am    

I've had the 4 and 8 full note raise since 88 - that's what I switch stoppers on my levers on Es for, and use "2-frets-down-while-raising-Es-fully" variants quite frequently. Works fine, but I haven't reflected much on what "named" changes I've been emulating, apart from that the C-pedal becomes redundant.

One variant is to lower string 3 and 6 a whole step while raising 4 and 8 a whole step, and play 1, 3 and 4 in unison, and then release the levers. Makes for an interesting tone-split at the right places.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 9:09 am    

Ron, Thanks. I'll see if I can sit down and study it from here. The older I get the more it needs pounding into my head!

Georg, thanks for your 2c on the same thing. Nice to see you're ahead of the time as usual Smile
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 9:11 am    

ron, I should have asked, is this just as quick and convenient as having the whole change on one pedal so you don't have to move the bar?
Edit: Also, do you have this on the same lever as the half tone raise(with a half stop) or do you have it on a separate lever or pedal?
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 10:15 am    

Bent Romnes wrote:
Nice to see you're ahead of the time as usual Smile
FWIW: I'm not ahead of anything, just going down, down, down a different path Wink
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 11:00 am    

It probably isn't as quick as a pedal change, but for me I use it more on slower/medium tempo tunes which is where that change fits better - I play a Universal 12 and am raising my 9th string and the 4th string with the same lever

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 11:40 am    

I raise my 4th to F# with my RLR.You can use it with pedals up or down, with A or B or with the F lever to get a half step. I've had it on my steel since I started playing. It makes sense. I also raise my 5th to C# with my Vert LV. It gives you the best of both worlds. Now I can't figure out what to do with my C pedal. Any suggestions.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 5:45 pm    

Bill Dobkins wrote:
Now I can't figure out what to do with my C pedal. Any suggestions.
I have the same "problem", and haven't quite solved it yet.

I have decided to keep the C pedal as is, in order to keep my PSG copedent somewhat normal. But I will switch in alternative changes as I see fit, to make the most out of as few pedals/levers as possible.
So, the real problem as I see it, is to integrate working mechanisms for on-the-fly switching or extending in and out of existing pedals'/levers' functionality, including that of the mostly redundant C pedal.
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 9:29 pm    

I think one of the benefits of having that change is the low A that you get at the open position. I lower my 10th to A, and it is highly beneficial. I do something different with this pedal, though; I do not have the change in question on my guitar.
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2009 7:30 pm    

Kyle Everson wrote:
I think one of the benefits of having that change is the low A that you get at the open position. I lower my 10th to A, and it is highly beneficial. I do something different with this pedal, though; I do not have the change in question on my guitar.

What does your 4th pedal do? I've got the Franklin pedal, but I rarely use it..

Castle Rock, Washington, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2009 10:57 pm     V Pedal

V PEDAL I RAISE THE 4TH TO F# 2ND TO E & 7TH TO G HOLDING AB PEDALS IN WITH THE VERTICAL I DON`T NEED THE C PEDAL SO I PUT THE FRANKLIN ON IT. CAN PLAY 10 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 STRINGS USING AB & V I AM HAPPY WITH IT.
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2009 3:39 am    

Bill - I'm with you on that and do the same thing - The only reason I left my C pedal on is that I like to play some quicker stuff lie 'Applejack" - and it is more comfortable to me to use B,C pedals for something like that - And if you raise your 4th string to F# - you already have the Franklin change