| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vertical Knee Lever...
Tommy Gibbons

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 7:45 pm    

What is the basic setup/use of the VKL? I am progressing with my E-9 playing, would adding the VKL be beneficial? Why? Have an example?

I would really appreciate your input!

Thanks, Tommy
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 8:04 pm    

The most common LKV setup is lowering the B's to Bb. If this is split with the A pedal, you can get a minor chord with A+B+LKV. There's a lot of other uses for this change. It's useful, but not at all necessary.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 6:39 am    

Another setup for the vertical lever is to raise the E's to F#.
This change virtually eliminates the need for the C pedal.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 6:58 am    

yet other lower the G#'s to G and keep the B-to-Bb-lower on LKR while moving the E's up and down on the right knee.

I am currently tinkering with lowering the middle F# to F.

... J-D.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 9:46 am    

JD, that's a common change on the E9/B6 Universal...

Another good change for a vertical knee lever is to raise both F#'s to G.

I have my vertical lever just lowering my 5th string B to Bb and not the 10th string. I lower that on my LKL along with raising my 2nd string C# to D#...JH in Va.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 11:13 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:

Another good change for a vertical knee lever is to raise both F#'s to G.

In my opinion, this is the best change for a vertical because you rarely or never use it without also using the B pedal, and it's easier to use the vertical if you are depressing one or more pedals because you have some leverage.

I think the B to Bb change has many more uses than simply changing the pedals down A chord to an A minor.
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 1:54 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

I think the B to Bb change has many more uses than simply changing the pedals down A chord to an A minor.

The only uses I've ever found for it are the minor chord, the "Together Again" thing (which I do with a bar slant anyway, since I don't have the B to Bb change), and maybe a diminished chord if it's used with the F# to G change, but it's easier to go back a fret and use the E to F lever.
What other uses does it have?

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 2:32 pm    

I get a nice inversion of a II/7th chord in the open position...no pedals. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2009 3:04 pm    

Ryan Barwin wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:

The only uses I've ever found for it are the minor chord, the "Together Again" thing (which I do with a bar slant anyway, since I don't have the B to Bb change), and maybe a diminished chord if it's used with the F# to G change, but it's easier to go back a fret and use the E to F lever.
What other uses does it have?

If gives you a minor 9th chord (or a passing tone between scale degrees 3 and 2) when you activate the E to Eb lever, and an open 5th between strings 4 and 5 when you use it in combination with the E to F lever. (You get a really nice little lick If you do this, and then move the bar back 2 frets, keep the E to F lever engaged and release the B to Bb lever and step on the A pedal. One string moves up while the other moves down.) It also gives you a major 7th on a minor chord if it's used with the A pedal.

I have used this change in all these situations. I also used it to hit the off note on Maria (ma-RI-a,) and on the songs "Something's Coming" and "Cool" on my West Side Story CD.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 6:45 am     Hi Tommy

Please let me know what the rest of your set-up is. Then i can make a suggestion for you.

Many regards from David Hartley.