| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stolen guitar on Ebay---now what? It's mine!
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 12:39 pm    

What to do now????????
The steel guitar that was stolen from me here in Hendersonville a year and a half ago has turned up on ebay, it's the Baldwin cross over with rosewood necks. Ser #7140.
What should or what can I do now?
I'd love some advice on how to reclaim my guitar from some of you knowledgeable slouths.
It is in Hudsonville MI. I don't have the persons name that has is, where do I go guys?

Bobbe seymour
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 12:48 pm    

Hi Bobbe, Smile

I'm just blowing smoke here... but if i were you i'd first call your local police and tell them about it or try to reach Ebay to try to get the person's name or something Confused , also maybe you can search on Ebay's policies if they have something about stolen goods,
but first i would really call your local police i'm sure they'll know what to do Smile.

Pat C.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 12:58 pm    

Yeah, I would definitely call the cops, contact ebay and maybe the FBI (it's in Michigan, or so it says). Also contact the seller, rofftemp. He may or may not be the thief. He has 100% feedback. Good luck!
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 1:07 pm    

Thanks Cal my buddy, this sounds like a good starting point,

Bobbe
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 1:22 pm    

Bobbe,

Do Not Contact The Seller!

Do this:

What to do if you see stolen property on eBay

If you see stolen property on eBay or items with missing or altered serial numbers: Please contact law enforcement immediately. Under eBay's privacy rules, eBay’s attorneys will provide important records about pending and past listings in response to an official request from law enforcement officials. Please inform the police officer handling the case that eBay will be pleased to cooperate in the investigation, and ask the officer to contact eBay using eBay’s law enforcement-specific form. The officer should include all relevant information, including the case number and any item numbers or user IDs. This information appears on the listing page.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/stolen.html
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 1:51 pm    

Definitely contact the detective that was assigned your case. I'll give you a quick story... 20+ years ago I bought 2 old printing presses, had them shipped to a rebuilding company, totally rebuilt like new. The day they were to ship to me, a detective came by, told me they were stolen and the person who sold them to me did not own them. I was out the money I paid him, and was out the money to rebuild them. The original owner was returned his stolen property, albeit in brand new condition.

In your case, the detective will contact the local jurisdiction and with proof, you'll get your guitar back, regardless who is in posession. If the person selling it was not the one who stole it, it's his tough luck, unfortunately.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 1:54 pm    

Danny Naccarato wrote:
Definitely contact the detective that was assigned your case. I'll give you a quick story... 20+ years ago I bought 2 old printing presses, had them shipped to a rebuilding company, totally rebuilt like new. The day they were to ship to me, a detective came by, told me they were stolen and the person who sold them to me did not own them. I was out the money I paid him, and was out the money to rebuild them. The original owner was returned his stolen property, albeit in brand new condition.

In your case, the detective will contact the local jurisdiction and with proof, you'll get your guitar back, regardless who is in posession. If the person selling it was not the one who stole it, it's his tough luck, unfortunately.

Yep. Happened to me too...with a guitar....bought on eBay.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 2:47 pm    

Bobbe... It's important to have that sale stopped, in order that it stays where it's currently at.

The person putting it up for sale, (as has been said) is probably an innocent party who may have picked it up from anywhere.

Ebay definitely has folks who can handle that situation.. The hard thing will be in tracing it back to who it was that stole it from you.. That's not as important (right now) as seeing to it, that you get to it before the sale ends, and get it back..

However, if you reported it as being stolen, you will not have to pay anyone a dime, to get it returned to you..

You've got to act quick though, before the sale ends. I say that, because after someone buys it, from whomever is selling it now, they are harder than hell to get in touch with.

Good luck, but act quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed Kelly

Queensbury, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 2:48 pm     Stolen Guitar

Bobbe,
If you had reported that particular guitar stole, and signed a complaint, then a felony theft had been committed. If it was taken from a vehicle or building, then there is an additional charge of burgualry, probably also a felony in your states penal law. If you have found a person in possession of this instrument, in the US most anywhere, then he is in possession of stolen property.
The police will take the property from him as contraband, and he has the burden of proof as to where he got it, thats how they will trace it back to the perp.
Any rate, this sould get the guitar back for you.
GOOD LUCK
KELLY GREEN, REMEMBER ME?
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 3:01 pm    

I had the same thing happen to me about 7 or 8 years ago. I contacted the police, and they in turn contacted Ebay and got the sellers information and called him. The guitar had changed hands twice before it was listed on Ebay, but the last guy was the loser. Two guitars were stolen out of our church, the guy that had this one had bought it at a city wide garage sale, and he knew who bought the other one. I got them both back and it didn't cost me anything. I had pictures and serial numbers of both in my records, so there was no question they were mine.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 4:16 pm     ebay

Bobbe I would see if you could get this string off the forum to prevent giving this guy a head up and he pulls it off Ebay and goes poof.
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 4:34 pm    

I would go ahead and have someone I know and trust hit the buy it now button soon. Then call the detective, arrange with the seller to pick it up in person, and show up with the cops.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 4:36 pm    

It's listed for 20 days?strange. Crying or Very sad
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 4:44 pm     Go Through The Authorities - NOT EBAY

I too would recommend going through the original investigating officers, NOT EBAY. I sold a guitar on Ebay 3 years ago, the guy reversed the credit card payment and would not return the guitar. I called Ebay for help, they said they would help me get my guitar or the payment back. I Never heard from them again. After repeated calls back to them, they suddenly had no record of my complaint. I'll Never deal with Ebay again because of this. Best of Luck in in getting this resolved to your benefit. Zeke
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 5:25 pm    

When it first hit eBay a few days ago, the seller was asking $3K. I almost told him how Crossovers are regarded in the modern marketplace, but decided to leave it alone.

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 5:31 pm    

This guy is probably not the thief, it may have changed hands several times since it was stolen. It doesn't matter if it is taken off Ebay, Ebay still has the records and will share the info with the police.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 7:34 pm     If you place a bid...

If you place a bid on it, you will be able to access through ebay the name address and phone number of the seller. The seller will also have your information, but you could contact him. Some would say don't, leave it to the police, but it's your decision, or you could give that information to the police. I think I'd show up at his house, but that's just me.

Don Blood
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 7:54 pm    

Matthew Prouty posted the proper answer and the link to use - contact your local police and give them the eBay contact info. eBay's procedures for this type of thing show a very good record of recovery if people don't step on their own toes.

OTOH, this kind of thing:

Quote:
I would go ahead and have someone I know and trust hit the buy it now button soon. Then call the detective, arrange with the seller to pick it up in person, and show up with the cops.

....is the tail wagging the dog. If you don't contact the police first and coordinate that type of thing with them your "trusted friend" could be in all kinds of trouble - if he buys it BEFORE the "sting" is disclosed to the authorities he's purchased stolen property. Also, the chances of the police cooperating with such a "setup" are just about zero. Police normally detest wannabe cops. Don't go there.

I've had two valuable instruments recovered by following the established procedures. The local police love that kind of stuff as it makes their job MUCH easier.

Don't get creative and take the law into your own hands - vigilante law enforcement carries a high risk factor and just gets innocent people in trouble.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 10:03 pm    

Bobbe
I found a guitar stolen from me in 1989 on eBay in 2007 and it was returned to me.

Here's a link to the details from my 2007 post.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=111820&highlight=

I'll call you today with more details.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 6:39 am    

For those who haven't read it yet, this is a cool story about Herb's lost guitar. It's well worth the read.
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 7:25 am    

Seller has dropped price to $1500.
3 offers have been declined, which means 3 players have nearly made the mistake of buyying the guitar.

I couldn't say whether it would be better to advise members to avoid the item or to hide this thread so the thief isn't warned.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 7:30 am    

I agree with Rich..park it in Forum Feedback for now

I also agree with Matthew Prouty, Jim Sliff and the others who said stay away from the seller, call the original investigating officers and let them handle it. Don't play amateur detective. It just won't work.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 8:16 am    

I'm going to heed the advise of Matthew and others and I'll let the athoritys do the dirty work, cross my fingers (what I have left) and hope I get it back. Oh Well

I truly thank you all for this advice, you are, like always, the best group of guys guys in the world,
Love you all.

Bobbe Seymour
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 8:29 am    

Good luck Bobbe. I thought it was a sad day when you lost this guitar.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2009 9:13 am    

Thank you Bobby. Smile