| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  high G# real thin tone - advice?
Justin Douglas

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 5:45 am    

i've got a little student model push-pull from the early 70s (i believe) and just love it.

however, the high G# has always seemed to have a much brasher tone than the rest of the strings. it really pops out when i strike it - and not necessarily in a good way.

anyone have this issue or advice on strings/etc?

stings are pretty old now, i was thinking of changing all BUT the G# to balance it out.

thanks gang!
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:05 am    

You might check to see how close your pickup is to the strings. Try 3 quarters width and see if it all evens out.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:14 am    

Try a 12 string on it.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:53 am    

If those are the strings that came on your instrument, you should change them all. On most E9 pedal steels, that 3rd string G# is the one that breaks most often. So you might have a new 3rd string, and the rest might be much older.

In most standard E9 strings sets, the 3rd string G# is 0.011 gauge. They tend to sound very thin. Jagwire makes an 0.0115 that has a thicker tone that some people prefer. Also, many instruments will take an 0.012 on the 3rd string.

You should experiment a little to find what you like best.

A rule of thumb for pickup height is the width of two quarters for bare pole pieces, one quarter if there is a cover over the pickup. As you drop the pickup further below the strings, you will get a worse signal-to-noise ratio. I'd experiment with strings before I dropped the pickup height radically.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 10:51 am    

dave's rules of thumb........however, buddy emmons says 'one' quarter clearance and myself and many others use .010's on the 3rd string with no problem.

facts aren't necessarily facts here on the 'anybody can say anything' forum
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:40 pm    

Just repeating what I've read here on the Forum, and what works for me. Got no problem with what Chris says. One quarter distance works on the high strings, but I start hitting the pickup with the low strings that close. The real rule of thumb is to experiment a little and find what works for you. Smile
Colin Mclean

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2009 8:26 pm    

Sounds like the same problem mine had with 3 different strings...a real "pingy" or "piercing" sound that starts a fraction of a second after you pluck the string.

Make sure there's no lint or dirt or anything on the changer finger or in the nut slot. If they're both clean, try smoothing and polishing the changer finger surface. It may have a tiny flat spot on it. Some #600 followed by some Brite Boy or similar metal polish should do the trick. Just go easy with the sandpaper or that string will have lower action than the rest, and then it will be a permanent problem--your bar won't contact that string with the same tension.

Worked for me, except my high E string still does it a little. I need to take care of that, and I could use new strings anyway...
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2009 8:54 pm    

I've noticed that if the strings are to parallel to the keyhead it will affect the sound,
it needs to be in the right angle going to the tuner key ,
this also affect the tension,
on my last project home build steel i had to make another nut bridge support
cause the strings were to low going in the keyhead and sometimes had buzzing of strings sounded dead,
i've noticed it by pushing the string down at the keyhead and noticed the difference right away. Smile

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 5:52 am    

Hey Justin,
Come out to the Austin Steel Guitar Co-op Meet up and Jam and we could do some hands on, and check out some different set ups / amps, Picking intensity. etc.
2nd Sunday each month at 2:00.
Come early and we can try stuff and fool around with it.
Email me if you want.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 6:11 am    

The .011 seems to be the most common that is used on E9th's. One issue is how the amp is set. The "Paramid" mid EQ that Peavey has on most of their Steel Guitar Amps (except the Session 400's)are designed to help the 800 Hz issue and by cutting the 800 Hz it seems to "tame down" the higher strings.

(I'll be in Austin Tuesday and Wednesday of next week but it's a business trip to Dell. I doubt that I'll have any time to get to any clubs).
Justin Douglas

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2009 5:27 am    

thanks for all the input. the strings are quite old and probably should be changed, but i play pretty non-traditional steel and tend to have a darker sound (crank the tone knob down quite a bit).

i hadn't thought of checking string height - i'll take a look into that. the pickup is the original emmons with exposed pole pieces.