| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel on Contemporary Christian Music
Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 12:13 pm    

I have found a new niche since I have begun playing with a contemporary Christian band called Heavenwind Ministries. I started out just playing guitar but have migrated in to mixing steel with it and everyone loves it. Its not like playing regular "country" style steel and I have my own style anyway but am loving it! Anyone else play steel on this music? Love to hear your experiences. Kirk

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 4:45 pm    

I play steel in a Contemporary Praise & Worship band at Christian Life Church in Austin, Tx. It took a while for me to overcome the "Country" stigma of the steel guitar, but for the last 5 or 6 years, I've played on everything we've done, whether it be Rock, Pop, Reggae, Black Gospel, or Country style. I use distortion, phase shifting, and chorus if I think it makes the steel sound fit better into the style of the song. I have some clips of our group recorded live during our services that I'll send you if you want to email me your address.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 9:57 pm    

I play in the Contemporary group at a Catholic church. The music is modern and mostly up-tempo, but alot more "conservative" than most such church groups. There are no "effects" in our band, we're lucky they let us use small amps. We have a new director this season, and next month we're doing a song called "Sing of the Lord's Goodness", that's built off of "Take Five," so there may be more latitude in the future. I'm playing Dobro right now, but maybe I can work in a lapsteel later.
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 3:19 am     Clips

Hey Darvin,
Please send me a copy of those clips if you don't mind. Thanks...jr
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 11:22 am    

I play pedal steel every Sunday in our praise team. No effects, just good ol' steel. Everyone here loves it.
Jack Mattison

North Bend, Wa
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 1:48 pm     praise and worship

I hear ya David........ I do the same thing every Sunday Morning......... Just play, and keep it simple........... Jack<><

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 6:11 pm    

Very Happy The group that i played steel for were doing some contemporary music along with the southern gospel . They told me that it looked like that i was trying to make it sound southern gospel and i said I'M GUILTY ! I still have a problem with mixing the music . I know that everyone has a taste for other than southern gospel but thats the music that i want to play . I guess that if i play for any other group they will know up front my feelings on the style of music i will play . It's hard to make everyone happy and i know that but i have my choice as well as others --right ? At this time my wife and i do a duet ,we play her tracks and i play fill behind her singing and i also play some instrumentals and so far the folks seem to love it . So this is where i am now and i'm happy doing it . Find your own path and walk in it . G.P.
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 6:30 pm    

I play sometimes at Long Hollow Baptist Church in Hendersonville, TN. Everyone loves it, and it's done a lot to overcome the country stereotype. Nothing else can do what a steel guitar can in Christian music.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 6:12 am    

"Give praises to the Lord on an instrument of 10 strings" (Psalms 33:2) Very Happy
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 12:04 pm    

I'm with you, Kirk. Pedal steel's not just for country any more.

Our church's choir director just ordered me all the guitar accompaniment books so I guess I passed the audition on steel!

I just got home from my first run with the choir and I had several positive comments from the congragation. I think the pedal steel is a welcome addition. Just gotta keep the "B" bender stuff at home. Glissful resolves welcomed.

Don't have to take any delay or reverb effects. Our church's ceiling must be 60 foot tall. The natural reverberation is fantastic. Actually it's breathtaking.

One final point, this is really good practice for learning your way around the neck as there are a lot of keys you don't normally play in on the popular music bandstand.

Oh, and I get to do "Angel Kisses". (Harmonics) Cool
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 12:19 pm    

Yes, and the three chord mentality goes out the window also. We do a lot of Israel Houghton's music and I think he tries to see just how many chords he can put in a song.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 1:11 pm    

Also lots of flat keys, i.e., Bb, Eb, Ab, Db...minor 7th chords and dim. chords. Bring on the challenge!
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 4:20 pm    

That's right, Tom. And don't forget the Sus4 7th chords and the Maj7 chords.

Had an add9 today. Hey, I can do that!
Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:48 am    

Great replies guys. We do a lot of work for the Mission of Hope here in Cedar Rapids Iowa, a place for a new beginning for formerly incarcerated people and homeless, jobless etc. It is a great mission and the people are so spiritual and they love the steel too. We also play at our home church United Parish in Coggon Iowa and they love it as well. Very innovative and like you all said, a lot of obscure chord changes and minors etc. Lovin the work for the Lord. God Bless all. Kirk

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 9:13 am    

Same here, been playing steel on contemporary music. Have always been a Southern Gospel person. Like Darvin I use phase shifting, distortion etc. on some songs. We don't have a lead guitar so I get to throw some lead stuff in. The songs in minor keys are tough sometimes, but I like challenges. They change keys sometimes if they can't sing the songs in the key that the chord charts are in Sad thats when the ol' ear has to take over. The keyboardest cheats. The number system is out, and I haven't had the time to convert the songs over to it. I'm also looking at what C6 might add.
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 6:21 pm    

Jonathan Cullifer wrote:
I play sometimes at Long Hollow Baptist Church in Hendersonville, TN. Everyone loves it, and it's done a lot to overcome the country stereotype. Nothing else can do what a steel guitar can in Christian music.

So True !!!! Very Happy

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 8:05 pm    

Brian,
The church gave me a full set of the guitar accompaniment books as well. I used to play PSG, but some ultra-purist parishoners complained and I had to go back to dobro. How do you like the pieces that change chords on almost every note? I'm pretty sure the person(s) who arranged them never tried to play them on a 6-string at tempo. If you think they're fun on PSG, try them on dobro or lapsteel, it'll have you running all over the neck. Anyone who thinks church music is "easy" probably hasn't played much of it. It's not simple and it'll sharpen your chops - you'll also see WHY they put the pedals on the steel. Enjoy the experience, it's a challenge that'll help make you a better player.

Johnathan - I agree with you. The steel guitar does do something for Christian music that no other instrument can. The real challenge is changing the minds of the people listening. It's interesting how many can "hear" with their eyes. We just need to keep trying to make inroads, and eventually it won't seem like such an unsusual addition to a church music ministry.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 7:16 am    

The best music to play when you are learning the pedal steel is the Lord's music.
The Holy Spirit stands right along side you and assists you.
The good Lord loves when you give praises to Him on an instrument of 10 strings. Very Happy

Psalms 33:2
Psalms 92:3
Psalms 144:9
(King James translation)
Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 9:03 am    

So true Erv. Hope to see you again at NEISGS!

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 9:07 am    

The good Lord willin' and and the creek don't rise! Very Happy
Barbara Crowell

Tacoma, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 1:57 pm    

I play pedal steel with a contemporary Christian band in Tacoma WA. We play regularly at our (Lutheran) church but have been asked to play at other churches in the Puget Sound (Seattle) area. Mostly I do E9th type fills and intros, some of the more up-tempo songs just call out (!) for a little C6 stuff as well. I feel that I am able to add something musical to most of the songs in our repetoire....
Barbara Crowell

Tacoma, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 2:01 pm    

I play pedal steel with a contemporary Christian band in Tacoma WA. We play regularly at our (Lutheran) church but have been asked to play at other churches in the Puget Sound (Seattle) area. Mostly I do E9th type fills and intros, but some of the more up-tempo songs just call out (!) for a little C6 stuff as well. I feel that I am able to add something musical to most of the songs in our repetoire....
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 10:00 am    

I am a worship leader at my church and I bring out the pedal steel approximately once a month. We mainly play contemporary praise songs, but I'll work up some hymns and give them a modern feel and add pedal steel. This goes over VERY well. Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing is a congregation favorite! I use the wide "Lloyd Green" grips and it works well.

Mark A.
Bill Stroud

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 10:09 am     Church Music

I play for a Gospel Group southern Gospel, and I play at church both styles Contemporary, and country, southern styles have been for years.
The crowd loves it, but most of all I want to give back to our Lord and Savior what he has given me the talent to play such a wonderful instrument.
I like using what talent I was given to please our God.
Bill
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2009 10:53 am    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Also lots of flat keys, i.e., Bb, Eb, Ab, Db...minor 7th chords and dim. chords. Bring on the challenge!

"Angel Kisses". (Harmonics)work real well in a "where am I, and where do I need to be" situation, I use them a lot, you can use a short/long slide to get to the right key and make it sound intentional.

Darvin...Your Praise Team has definitely got it together. Sweet Sue sitin in her favorite corner,knitin,listening, and praising right along with you. BTW,last DR. visit gave her a clean bill of health, still do regular followups so nothing slips up on us.

It sure feels good playing for the other side, no more thick smoke,drunks,fights,etc. Just an occasional running and shouting spell.

Bill