| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Something Strange
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 3:41 pm    

A couple of weeks ago we got a Phone call and this Guy said to my wife do you and sam live at 153 Moore RD. in Mooresburg TN. My wife said who is this and he said I'm going to China and you will gwt a post card from me. Well long and behold we got a post card yesterday and it was from China and we can not make out who it is from.He said he will be working in China for 6 weeks and was afraid to go there.Does anyone know of a Steel player that might just happen to be going to China to work??My wife wants to call the athorities.
Sam White
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 3:56 pm    

That IS strange, Sam! Any clues from caller ID? Was it before or after you wrote of your family health issues? Was the person being evasive with other information? How did your wife respond? Was the voice at all familiar? Was it threatening? What time of day was it? Give more of the details so we can all think it through.
Sherlock Dodd
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 7:11 pm    

Trying to think, but there IS a member that works in China. He'd posted about taking some lessons from BC while back home.

The name escapes me right now.

Don't freak out.

EJL
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 7:48 pm    

Eric - that's Steve Takacs, isn't it? He's a perfectly normal individual, though, who I did some trading with a while back - doesn't sound like him.

RR

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 01 October 2004 at 08:51 PM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2004 8:54 pm    

Steve Takacs teaches school in China, so he's there nine months out of every year, not six weeks. Plus his summer home is in North Dakota.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2004 4:47 am    

Well Donna and all let me ask Anna and see what she said he said.It was before the thread about Anna having cancer.Anna answered the phone and he said is this Sam & Anna Wite.She said yes who is this and he mumbled someting and then said you lived on Moore Rd. in TN..What did you do move.She said who is this and he said you will find out. I'm going to China to work for six weeks and I'm afraid to go. You will get aPost card from me.Well like I said we got the post Card the other day.Got me.Anna is afraid and said who knows it could be a terroris or some fruit cake.Who knowns.
P.S. Anna went for a Biopsey Thursday and she does have cancer and they are going to operate as soon as posible.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 02 October 2004 at 05:49 AM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2004 6:08 am    

Sam, what did the postcard say?
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2004 8:38 am    

Hi Jim the post card reads.Hi Ann & Sam I'm in China working.I'll be here a total of six weeks.Can not make out the name as it is kind of scribled.The picture is the Royal Park Hotel.That is it.
Sam White
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2004 8:51 am    

ok, let's not pretend this is something normal, because it's not! When I travel, I rarely even send post cards to people I love, much less to strangers. Here's a link to the hotel's website. They have a toll-free number for the US. I would call their security people and simply tell them the situation. Ask if anyone suspicious is registered for 6 weeks, etc. etc. But, first, get ALL the information from your wife. Also, copy the post card so you can fax it to them.
You and your wife have enough on your minds right now, so you obviously don't want to alarm her unnecessiarily. But I do think it merits looking in to. http://www.sinohotel.com/hotel/hotel.html?hid=1164
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2004 3:46 pm    

Hello Sam, from what you are saying from this caller, he could be stalking to get info on people of where they live and how they live before he uses his info for his gain, then he travels to a new place and stays at exquisite places on the people he calls, cause he is just trying to verify the names before he goes, this is a new scam, call or e-mail that motel and let them know this could be happening, I would go with an unlisted number, or change your phone number.
steveb. Desert Rose Guitar 8+5.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2004 6:02 pm    

Samuel, did you order take out?