| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Never Go Around Mirrors - E9/C6 - Fender Deluxe Reverb
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 7:31 am    

I Never Go Around Mirrors with some C6th thrown in! This song is pretty echoey and has the Keeley compressor set on full quack so it won't be everybody's cup of tea. This amp rocks for steel practice and just about anywhere for guitar. It's a stock 1965 Fender Deluxe Reissue.

The playing is real simple with a little wrinkle on the E to Eb knee lever on the intro and a 6/9 chord on the ending using the D to C# and B to A lowers.

I have a rhythm track in the works.

More Detail on my web site!

I Never Go Around Mirrors in wma format

I Never Go Around Mirrors in mp3 streaming format

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 8:30 am    

Nice tones there! Which channel did you plug into on the amp and what tone settings did you use? I'm about ready to sell off my DRRI, so it's a bit late for me, but inquiring minds wanna know!

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 10:01 am    

Twayn,

Volume 2.0, treble, 5.5, bass 9.8, Vibrato channel input 1. Signal chain is MSA Legend steel with Truetones at 16.6kohms, Goodrich 120 pot pedal, Boss RV-5, Guyatone MD-3, Deluxe Reverb, Sennheiser e609, Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, Yamaha SW-2400 workstation. All cables are George L's.

I owned another Deluxe reverb a few years back, a silver face and it had an Altec Lansing speaker in it. Less breakup and more volume for sure. The stock Deluxe reverb can be greatly improved for steel playing on gigs, but I am happy with mine right out of the box.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 10:22 am    

Nice steel sound. Great mic choice.

The bass track is too busy and not tight with the drum track. Have your bass player record a track using more simple half notes in more bars rather than the uneven bouncy doted quarter eighth figures throughout.
After you hear this, you will notice how much more effective the steel part sounds without the bass part fighting it.

Just my opinion, probably means more to me than you.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 10:27 am    

Bill,

I played all the instruments except the Drums are EZDRummer. Gotta agree with you on the bass track as I have not worked very hard on my bass playing. I agonize a lot on the bass part and how to tighten it up. Your comments are much appreciated!

Greg
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 10:49 am    

Greg,

Nice job!

P.S. Your taste in amps is impeccable!

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 10:59 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Bill,

I played all the instruments except the Drums are EZDRummer. Gotta agree with you on the bass track as I have not worked very hard on my bass playing. I agonize a lot on the bass part and how to tighten it up. Your comments are much appreciated!

Greg

Know that I am only speaking from having been yelled at for 40 years or more in the studio trying to tighten up guitar and bass parts! Cool You are to be commended on being able to play all these instruments. You should not have a problem at all with "tightening" up the bass part by just playing a bit longer notes and a bit more simple. You will also "agonize" much less.
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2009 12:37 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Twayn,

Volume 2.0, treble, 5.5, bass 9.8, Vibrato channel input 1. Signal chain is MSA Legend steel with Truetones at 16.6kohms, Goodrich 120 pot pedal, Boss RV-5, Guyatone MD-3, Deluxe Reverb, Sennheiser e609, Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, Yamaha SW-2400 workstation. All cables are George L's.

Thanks!

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 3:56 am    

Bill, I just upgraded my bass from a Peavey Millenium with active pickups to a Fender Classic Vibe Jazz bass. The difference in sound with real pickups is amazing so I am into doing a bit more with the bass now.

John, you do have excellent taste in amps and lap steels!

Twayn, you are welcome!

The rhythm track is located here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab17.html

Greg
Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 5:43 am    

Great job and tune Greg. Great sound too. I see you have no buffer in your chain. Do you usually not use one? You still get a real clear sound. Seems lots of folks use them either in an active pedal or a box. Thanks for all your contributions.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 6:54 am    

Mitch,

I have used the Litte Izzy plus, Goodrich matchbox and Hilton pedals quite a bit but always come back to no buffer. With the George L's cables, I end up having tons of excess highs that I still dial back in the amp EQ for my sound. Plus the tone always sounds more sterile to me with a buffer in the line. Kind of the same experience I've had with active pickups on guitars.

In a sense though I do have some active EQ in my setup. I have found that the Boss RV-5 boosts the highs just a bit (compared to say the RV-7). In this case the delay box also has an effect on the tone (the MD-3 kills the highs quite a bit).

Thanks for the nice comments on my sound. It's a bit easier to create a nice tone in the studio than it is out on a gig with all the different venues you run into.

Greg
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 10:56 am    

All Boss pedals have buffers, so if you have a boss pedal anywhere in your signal chain between guitar and amp, you're running a buffer Smile I've always found Boss buffers to be very "coloring" i.e. not very transparent. I don't use Boss pedals for that reason, but to each their own!