| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Update on Buddy Charleton
Wanda Cooper

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 5:28 am    

Buddy finished his first round of chemotherapy recently and subsequent tests revealed that the tumors have shrunk by more than half. The doctor was quite pleased and the results were better than he expected. He wants Buddy to have another couple of treatments and the results are to be re-assessed after the first of the year.

In the meantime, Buddy and Kay Lee wish to thank all of you who were so kind and thoughtful to pray for them and to send cards and well wishes on their behalf. It has been such a blessing and comfort to them.

Buddy’s strength is returning and he wanted us to be sure to tell everyone that he is still teaching. He is more able to do that than to play out with groups as he used to do. His energy level does not permit that at this time. But he really loves teaching and was concerned that current and prospective students may think he is not up to it.

However, he is looking forward to teaching as much as possible and had two students yesterday. Being able to continue doing the things he dearly loves will go a long way in helping him to recover. Also, the funds that the lessons bring in are going to be a big help to them financially.

I will update you as things progress. We are all very encouraged by Buddy’s positive outlook. It is such a testimony to the faithfulness of God! Do be mindful of Kay Lee and pray for her too. She is working part time and taking care of Buddy so her plate is pretty full.

Have included a couple photos you may enjoy.

Many blessings to you all!

Wanda

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 6:12 am    

This is great and encouraging news Wanda! The power of prayer is mighty! Thanks so much for the update! I had been wondering...

All the best to Buddy and Kay Lee, and to you and Billy..

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 6:15 am    

It sure is! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Hang in there, Buddy, I am wishing you all the best, the strength and power to continue this positive process.

Kind Regards, Walter

North Florida
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 6:23 am    

Wanda, thanks for the update on Buddy. We are thankful for the good news, and we will pray for continued healing and comfort. (Thanks for sharing the photos, also, Wanda!)

Buddy, wishing you all the best,
John L.

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 6:44 am    

Looks like a lot of years, and a lot of love between those two pictures.
Peace and blessings on you all.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 9:13 am    

Thanks Wanda for the upates. Buddy has countless
fans(read friends) who are concerned with his well being. Regards to you and Billy, also Kay Lee.

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 4:15 pm     Special Prayers For Buddy and Kay Lee

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yes , buddy , we all are keeping you in our prayers for a continued blessing from the Guy up-above; and yes, he does still do miracles.. Hang in , my friend , we all want to hear you play " Waltz Across Texas " on a live TV Program again..Prayers to both of you..Bernie Very Happy Whoa! Whoa! Rolling Eyes

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 5:18 pm    

I just heard about this recently as I had not been on the forum for some time. Buddy was my teacher. I would never have had the career that I have had if I hadn't met Buddy in Richmond Va. I was hanging out at Ray Garret's Metro Music, trying to learn steel guitar , when Teddy Lloyd took me to a jam session at Henry Tate's house. There was Buddy, wearing the steel guitar out. He agreed to take me on as a student. For the next few years Jay Jessup and I would take turns making the two hour trek to Oxon Hill Md. , where we each would take an hour lesson. Buddy was always nice but he would show no mercy when I screwed up. He was always on me about my right hand position, sometimes threatening to tape my hand in position if I didn't keep my thumb straight. He'd always say that I'd never get any tone if I didn't get my hand right.
I feel blessed that I had this wonderful opportunity to get to know and be around Buddy Charlton.
I hate that he's got to go through all of this but I know there are lot's of folks praying for his quick recovery.
I guess Bucky Baxter and I need to head up to Va. and get our ass' kicked by the master. Lord knows what bad habits we've picked up in Nashvegas.
God bless you Buddy !
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 5:08 am    

Thank you Wanda. I pray that God will touch Buddy and this problem will go away. I believe that I once read in the W. Post that a lot of Buddy's students go on to become professionals. IMO, he and his wife are just super (also Wanda & Billy).
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 8:46 am    

Buddy is still on my prayer list. I had 6 months (every other week) of chemo so I know what he is going through.

Hearing and seeing Buddy with ET is one of the reasons I took up Pedal Steel.
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 10:37 am    

Wow Bruce, there sure are a lot of good memories in that short paragraph you wrote. If you and Bucky do decide to come up this way please give me a shout as I would love to join you in the visit.

To all of you who have thought about the chance to take lessons from one of the masters, the chance to learn something the right way the first time and not have to unlearn bad habits is not to be missed. Bruce and I were taking those lessons 74 and 75 so please consider that Buddy has 35 or so years of teaching experience since that time and he was a good teacher then so I am sure he is ever better these days.

Speaking as someone whose late wife went through the same problem Buddy is now facing I can assure you that while the chemo is quite draining for a brief period after the treatment she was back to herself is short order and those that didn't know her wouldn't have known she had a problem. So if you have ever thought about taking lessons from Buddy, do it now. I think he only teaches through the Cooper's shop so give them a call----you will not regret it---I promise!!
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 11:21 am    

Pedal steel has been my passionate hobby for years and like Bruce and Jay, I too, have taken hours of lessons from Buddy. He takes a sincere interest with anyone who is willing to invest whatever it takes to be an accomplished player.
Like Bruce B, I hung out at Metro Music but with Ray's brother Dave. Dave was a banjo player and of course, Ray played steel. Back then, it seemed like there was a clear line between steel players and banjo pickers. Jay and I were roommates for over a year or so and we got along great cause Jay picked banjo Very Happy too. Bruce moved in after Jay moved on and if I recall, Bruce didn't last but a month Razz Laughing Razz My 5 string must have gotten on Bruce's nerves...,oh well Razz Anyway, what I am trying to convey, if Charleton is still teaching, by all means take advantage, book yourself a block of lessons.