| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar HOF in KS (who chooses these people)?
W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, DFW till May 2025
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:30 pm    

I always see all this stuff about the Kansas Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame and who all the members are. Who chooses these people? What are the qualification's to be entered into it? I know a lot of folks that have played with a lot of big acts as well as a lot of folks that taught countless people to play as well as kept the steel guitar alive for years and years in the state of KS and as far as I know were never given one ounce of credit. Most of these were guys that lived for the steel guitar, not just some weekend warrior that played in a VFW or American Legion now and again.

I think the time for credit is now from whoever runs this thing in the State Of Kansas to honor some of these folks and get them on the waiting list for the Kansas HOF because they've been waiting way too long.

1.Vern Page-Hutchinson KS (now deceased) was a great friend of the steel guitar, a mighty fine player and always was willing to take a new and upcoming steel player under his wing. Vern was always adding pedals and/or knee levers to everyones guitars and usually for little or no money. Just for the love of the instrument.

2.Steve McClure-Wichita area. Moved to Nashville about a year before I did in 1989. Worked with David Frizzell I believe and countless road acts before going to work for a guy named Garth for more than 10 years.

3.Tom Boulanger-Wichita. Played in the 50's & 60's with lots of western swing bands as well as worked with Jimmy Dean and even filled in once with Hank Thompson. Bought his first 4-Neck Fender Custom from the factory in Ca. when he got out of the Navy somewhere around 1949.

4.Kurt Graber-Wichita. This guy has been a steel man as long as I can remember. Always playing as many nights a week as possible and always trying to better himself. And yes, he plays his butt off!

5.Jerry Sisk-Wichita.(deceased) Played steel for years for the well known "Wichita Lineman".

6.Jimmy Powell-Wichita. (deceased)Played some for Paycheck and countless others as well as playing the "Best Little Whorehouse In Texas" Roadshow for years. Ask Scotty about this guy sometime.

7.Big Chuck Gurney-Clay Center KS. Played a cable guitar D-10 and could play Mooney to a tee!

8.Johnny Helms-Hutchinson Ks. Played around the area with lots of bands before he went to work for some guy named Toby Keith for 10 years. Mighty fine Bass Player also.

I'm sure I forgot others that did a lot to as preserve the image of the steel guitar as we know it

Any of the above would have been great to have even at Scotty's International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis but were never in the right position to be asked I guess.

Whoever runs this thing needs to do some research into the history of the steel guitar in the state of Kansas and all the guys that gave it their all to keep that steel a crankin and never ever got any attention for it.
WC Edgar

www.wcedgar.com

www.myspace.com/wcedgar

Last edited by W. C. Edgar on 11 Sep 2009 12:11 pm; edited 8 times in total
Tim Jones of Kansas

Andover, KS, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:35 pm    

Do they have a website or anything?

I'd like to see if there's any names I recognize on there.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:42 pm    

I agree W.C , unfortunatly in our world though, thare are may all over the world that seem to be ' Un-sung' as thay say,m check out 'Bob dixon' in my hometown of 'Bristol England' He's a sure thing brother in world class Very Happy

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 9:37 pm    

This is exactly the kind of info we have been trying to find. Thank you.
Lee
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 4:48 am    

You know, W.C. it's easy to sit back and critisize the KSGA when you've never even attempted to support the club. This year is our 7th year for our KSGA Show and I think that we've done wonders in putting it on. We have 46 steel players this year at our show! We've done more for promoting the steel guitar than you'll ever do By God! As far as the Kansas Hall of Fame, members who have been inducted are Doyle Huff, Jeff Newman, Jimmy Powell, Scotty Henderson, Curt Shoemaker and myself Ray Qualls. We never charge at the door for our shows and we have free food all three(3) days. The only paid people are the band members who work their A$$ off for three days. We have a membership of $12.00 a year and have a meeting once a month on the first Sunday of each month. Its a small club and thats the way that we like to keep it. There's always room for another club in Kansas if you decide to start one. Let me know and I'll be the first one to join!
Lee Ogle-President
Ray Qualls-Vice-President
Austin Stewart-Public Relations
Dana Stewart-Secretary
Advisory Board-Curt Shoemaker, Scotty Henderson, Mike McGee, Rick Nicklas, Randy Stewart, Paul Troop and Marty Neer.
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
W. C. Edgar

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 6:52 am    

Ray, you are so far out of line on this and you owe me a public apology. I made a nice post asking a simple question about why some of the mentioned folks were not in the KS HOF. The answer could have been, maybe you were not aware of these players beause you are in another part of the state or perhaps you had not been in KS very long and heard about these players over the years. But no, you chose to run me down and belittle me on the forum. I have students that often ask me about deceased players they have heard of but know nothing about. I run into some of their widows out and about and it would make them feel good knowing someone else out there cared enough about what their husbands had done over the years to put them in your HOF or even mention them maybe even in a newsletter. Nowhere in my post did I criticize you or your fine club. All I did say was that it was high time some of these people got the credit due to them for in some cases a lifetime of achievement and isn't that what the HOF is about? This is about people Ray, about the steel guitar community which is or at least used to be guys and gals that stuck together for the common love of the instrument. Your reply to me was completly unacceptable. Lots of the mentioned names on my list are and were friends of mine and all very deserving folks. You could have replied, "we need to bring it up in front of our board" or "I'll check it out and get back to you". But you chose to be rude and say bad things about me for no reason. I'm sure you have a fine club and have fun and lots of good music, I'd never said anything about that. Relax, don't be so hateful. And when you said you'd done more than I'll ever do to promote steel guitar I have a little info for you to take to the bank.

1.I left everything I had and moved to Nashvile in 89
2.Played Steel with Alan Jackson
3.Played 2 years with Tim McGraw
4.Worked 2 seasons on the Country Music USA Show at Opryland USA in Nashville
5.Worked with Jeff Carson
6.Worked with Leroy Van Dyke.
7.Worked fill in jobs with Dale Watson
8.Worked 3 years with Ty England & countless others.
9.Started my own company and ran it for 7 years called STEELSEAT.COM where I built one of the finest and by far most comfortable steel pak a seats on the market until I sold the company to the late Thom Beeman. I talked to steel players all over the world taking orders for steel seats and talking steel for hours every call or email I'd get.
10.I have had steelseat.com booths at the Tulsa show, Dallas show and yes Ray Scottys Show in St Louis.
11.Played steel with Johnny Lee
12.Now I'm an independent new artist with a great new self penned CD "Alcohol Of Fame" I used Mike Johnson on all my sessions. I always carry a steel guitar in the band or I don't play.
13.I just returned from playing a festival in France the weekend of July 24th 2009 where I recieved a standing ovation from 10,000 fans and yes I took a steel player with me.
14.Last year I toured Australia for 2 weeks and yes Ray, I contracted a steel player from Australia so I'd have my twang in the band.

Yeah, your right Ray you've probably done a lot more than that. I'm from the State Of Iowa my friend born and raised and I just happened to have friends both living and dead that meant a lot to me that were from KS that I wondered why they weren't in your HOF and for that you try to crucify me.
I feel sorry for you
WC Edgar

www.wcedgar.com

www.myspace.com/wcedgar
ray qualls

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 7:20 am    

W.C. maybe you should reread your original post! It was posted with a bad attitide about our club and I'm sorry but I'm very defensive when it comes to running our club down. I said that "we've" probably done more than you've ever done about promoting the steel guitar! (not I). We've worked hard the last 6 years of keeping our club (KSGA) going and all without you telling us how to do it. I'm sure all of the players that you mentioned deserves to be in the Kansas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame but we only have one(1) inductee a year. I think the ones that we've inducted deserved it too. All inductees have to be Kansas born so I guess that leaves you out since you were born in Iowa. This is my last response and I consider it "case closed". Good luck and God Bless you! Ray
W. C. Edgar

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 7:31 am    

Thats what I just love about email and posting things like this. You ask a simple question and the other party trys to read crap into it that was never there. Sorry you missread the post and thought you'd try to make an example out of me.

Keep the post open and lets see if some of these KS players as well as folks that appreciate steel guitar can add to my short list of names that have brought awareness to the steel guitar in KS.

Have a great day Ray and YES! I accept your apology.

WC Edgar

www.wcedgar.com

www.myspace.com/wcedgar
Dana Stewart

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 7:50 am    

Hello everyone. I am a part of this little KSGA club and I must speak up for our vice president. I hate these arguments that the forum seems to be full of these days. Everyone seems so hateful. It makes all of us steel players and fans look bad. WC I totally understand your frustration about the HOF and who deserves to be there. I get aggrivated about people I suggest not getting into Scotty's International Steel Guitar HOF.

I too was offended by your original post before Ray even got on here though. You may not have meant for it to sound that way, but it came off to me as very critical of whoever was running the KS HOF. In Ray's defense, he had a post on this very forum asking for people to put in their suggestions for the KS HOF. He wanted everyone's oppinion. You could have nicely posted your suggestions under that post. I am not sure why you didn't see it since, you claim to have seen every other post about the KS HOF.

So can we please just all be friends? After all, we are all fighting for the same cause. We all love steel guitar and want to recognize the ones who have kept it alive all these years (not an easy task). I have a 15 year old son who plays steel guitar and needs you folks to keep that "steel guitar family" together.

Dana Stewart
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 7:50 am    

Yea, but it makes this forum so much fun to read! Very Happy
ray qualls

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 9:02 am    

W.C. e-mail sent. Ray
Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 1:16 pm    

This is the post that Dana referred to:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=164282&highlight=
Marty Neer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 4:47 pm     Ksga Hof

I'm not sure how to address this topic but here is my 2cents. I'll start by saying that when you work hard at being an officer in these clubs your NEVER going to make everyone happy. Its usually a thankless job that takes a long time to see the fruits of success within that organization. WC I agree that many of the folks you mentioned ARE deserving of recognition. Steve McClure helped me long ago tune my p/p when I first started playing. Kurt Graber has played at our show and meetings several times. Before I ever started playing steel I went to the KFDI ranch party and listen to the Wichita Linemen use a knocked out steel player that made them some of Wichitas best. These guys have and did make contributions to the steel community. I guess what I'm saying is can and do remember their
work as artists. I think what Ray is saying is that when small clubs start and grow the folks who get involved and work hard locally should be recognized as well. Its a group ( club ) effort. Lets all remember that this is still a very young club growing quickly and fast becoming a good little show to be involved with. WC we'd love to have ya down! Your a great player ya don't know what your missin!
There will be many more HOF inductees as the club grows. I hope I haven't offended anyone here and I'll conclude by saying Bobbe S,ya just kill me! LOL!
Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 8:33 pm    

Email has a way of masking ones real feelings and emotions. This is why it is a good idea to use a smiley face Very Happy if no harm intended, or a frown Sad if unhappy. These are just examples. If in doubt how a message will be interpreted, place one of b0b's emotions symbols somewhere in the thread. It does help clarify the vibe.

$.02
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 3:28 am    

Even though I am from Texas and not Kansas, I have to say when I read the opening post I took it as a slam. I know nothing about the Kansas club but I am sure they are good people trying to build a good club for steel players and fans. I have met Dana Stewart and the family and I know they are great people to be around and that speaks highly of them. The HOF as I understand is for Kansas born steel players and I see nothing wrong with that. Hopefully the names that have been listed for the HOF will be given consideration if they are in fact Kansas born, and I am sure they will be. Best wishes to all involved in this topic.
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 5:30 am    

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 8:22 am    

Jeff Evans wrote:

Laughing
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 9:22 am    

Bobbe,
I'm just here for my own "abusement!"
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 9:20 pm     hi

I have been President of the Pensacola Aeromodelers in the past, I enjpyed it so much I will never accept a post in a club again. We went world wide with our news letter, Played airshows with the best tallent in the world. Corky Fornoff and his son was with us in the Navel air show in Pensacola. Also the flying professor that flew J3 cubs as no other could, He was killed after our show, he always used a rented J3, and the stick broke off and he crashed.
Being president can be a thankless job and can cost you lots of time and money.
I admire any one that wil do this job and will give him all the support I can, I think there are some that will say that about me.
Keep up the good work Have heardnothing but good about your club wish I could be there.

ernie
Leann Sharp

Nashville,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 2:03 am    

W.C. Edgar
Having lived in Kansas for years, I just want to say I think musicians that support and promote steel guitar in their home state , attend meetings, play venues in their
home state deserve recognition.
We all know you travel to foreign countries to sing. We all have given you praise for that.
But there are many, very talented steel guitar players, living, in Kansas and I think they deserve to be recognized for their contribution to music and the world of steel guitar. Who do you have a problem with who has won the award?
I don't usually post on these kind of subjects, but being from Kansas I had to say something. I support music from TN just as I do from any state. There is talent from every state in the USA. Any group of people that gather to support steel guitar or music should be recognized. They are supporting a passion they have. If you are not one of that group, why protest? What is the anger geared towards?
www.facebook.com/leann.sharp
www.calsharp.com
Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 5:59 am    

Ray,

I had e-mailed you before and you graciously responded, but I can't seem to come up with that e-mail.

What are your membership prices and mailing info? It will be rare that I can make the meetings or show, but I'd like to support your club just the same.

I'm not familiar with some of the steel players that have been mentioned, some of them I have heard of. I don't have any problem with any of the KSGA HOF members. I think many players in Kansas are regional and some break out and do great things. I'm more aware of players that are in my area but I'm glad to see that there are this many people associated with the steel in KS.

I saw a reference in another post to Larry Gurley from Pratt, does anyone know his whereabouts? We used to see him with the KFRM Radio Road Show Band. He was one of the first steel players I can remember seeing, and I probably used to bug the heck out of him when I was a kid asking questions.

Jon
ray qualls

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 6:42 am    

Thanks to the responses above! The problem has been resolved between myself and W.C. We took it like 2 men should and both apologized! Man, he has a mean left hook!!!!! Just kidding! Thanks again to all above who supports our small club and I apologize to b0b for the negative posts on this great forum! Don't forget our show is October 2,3,4 and its all free. If you're in this area at that time, I recommend that you come to it and hear some great steel guitar playing. If anyone wants to become a member, the dues are $12.00 a year from May to May! Membership cards are made for members. Send the money to:
Ray Qualls-KSGA
P.O. box 193
Baxter Springs, Kansas
Also need your Name-address-phone number(optional)-E-mail(optional).
Thanks again for all the support. Ray
W. C. Edgar

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 12:09 pm    

Leann, with all due respect, why would you think I had a problem with someone being in the club HOF? Again, some people read things into emails and posts that just are not there. The only person I ever saw in my life was Ray that was in it. Ray later mentioned to me that a few of the mention players I'd asked about were already in. I have no idea if there are other members and it is none of my business who is and who isn't.

Again, I am not protesting anything, I'm not angry, and besides NOT BEING FROM KANSAS I think there are many many people many deceased that are very deserving of such an honor. Ray & I are cool with our conclusions and are happy campers.

Have a nice day and keep making those great covers I see from time to time. I'm about ready for one for my Pro 2 now that I'm back on the road and playing steel for myself. Smile

WC
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 12:42 pm     Larry Gurley

Jon, Larry Gurley now lives in Arizona, Bullhead City I think is the town.
he attends the Phoenix show each year and we visit there. very nice man in deed.
Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 1:42 pm    

Thanks Fred. Glad to hear he's still active.

Jon