| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So Typical of John Hughey
Bill Napier

Niceville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 10:01 am    

A couple of days ago, with the announcement by Mike Headrick, in another post to the "Forum," entitled, "Buddy Emmons Should be Hung," I wrote and asked Mike if he could/would give me an idea of some future releases.

Being on a retirement budget, I will have to be selective in my purchase(s). He was kind enough to respond overnight, and was kind enough to mention some ideas he is toying with.

Mike's reply was so inspiring, I am taking the liberty to share it with you,the Forum members. Hope you will forgive me for posting part of your reply, Mike.

The second print will be of Mr. John Hughey.

I wasn't too surprised with this choice, and even less so with the conversation between Mike Headrick and John, as both John and Jean are two of the most down-to-earth, unassuming, and warm people my wife Judy and I have met on the steel guitar jam circuits.

Here, in Mike's own words, is that conversation with John Hughey.

Mike Headrick wrote: QUOTE:

I don't have a problem telling you that we are planning the next one for John Hughey. I actually have ideas for the next four or five and it really is a hard call.

John Hughey was the first I told about it and I said "I want to do Buddy Emmons first, if he'll do it". John said "I'll take second place to Buddy anytime".

UNQUOTE!!

WOW!!! John, you don't just have that little cross on your ZumSteel, you live it daily, BY EXAMPLE!!
Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 2:32 pm    

So true Bill, To any of you who have never met Jean & John face to face, be prepared for a humbling experience. They are the nicest and most caring people you could ever hope to meet!
Now with that said, " How about those free
lessons, John"?
Bill Hamner
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 3:33 pm    

Bill you are so right about John and Jean. We have so many legend's that have entertained and inspired us for so many year's. I feel Buddy was a great first choice and I'm very excited and proud that John Hughey will be the second. John hold's a special place in my heart as he made a dream come true for me at the Saluda Jam back this past Feb. My wife Martha and I spent alot of time with John and Jean and they are both great folk's
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 8:37 pm    

John and Jean Hughey. A class act. Jody.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 5:25 am    

I think that John has put out some of the best ever that's ever been on the psg. I saw John with Conway Twitty in Alaska back in 1967 or 1968, I think it was, and that was one of the best times I've ever had.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 6:18 am    

I attended the Gospel Steel Guitar show in Indianapolis last Spring. John was there playing. Besides John's exceptional playing, the thing that impressed me the most was his demeanor. After everyone got through with their set, he was right there to extend his compliments. What a gentlemen! We could all take a lesson for John, and not necessarily a steel guitar lesson.
Erv
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 9:40 am    

I saw Mr John several times at the Magee, MS shows. How could you not like John Hughey? A professional and all around good guy. I watched him play with lots of steelers from beginner to Jeff Newman. It was fun to watch Jeff and John on stage together. Jeff would raise the level a little on each song they played and John not only would match Jeff's licks but would raise the level right back. It's hard to say just how good he really is because he play's to fit the occasion or song. I personally think he is #1. Anyway, my PROFEX is set on No. 17 John Hughey.
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 12:16 pm    

DIDO DIDO Dito..2nd,3rd,..etc.etc..WHAT A COUPLE!!!!!!! Down Home Folks!!!!!!!!
Grouchy....PS I'll See You Two In Bristol!!!
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 12:45 pm    

Oh, and rest assured that there would be a long list of greats willing to take 3rd behind both Buddy and John.

------------------
HagFan

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 6:13 pm    

John and Jean Hughey,
What else can be said, you will never meet finer folks anywhere. John is a "hey, how ya doin" kind of person. That cross on his Zum, not just for looks.

Bill
Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2004 2:54 pm    

John Hughey is my main most "HERO" !!!!!
Course, I am aware that Ms Jean taught him ever little thing he knows so,,,,,,, that makes her just as much my "HERO". I shore do love them two folks.

Ben O'Dell
John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2004 4:01 pm    

I have a friend in Arlington ,TX. ( TS--you know who you are ) that is on the operating staff of the Steel Guitar Convention held in Dallas each March . I had planned to go but as it turned out , I could not .

While "resting " at home one evening during the convention and "fuming" over not getting to go , the phone rang ! It was none other that John Hughey on the other end of the line . My friend TS , knowing that I had never met John Hughey how highly I thought of John's playing for so many years and what a fine steel player I always thought he was, had stopped by John's booth and dialed my number on his ( TS's) cell/ph and ask John to say hello to me . I first thought it was a prank but to my joy and suprise, it WAS John Hughey . We had a nice phone visit and I appreciated his taking time to talk to an old guy who thinks so highly of his playing for all these years .

I hope to get to meet John ( and Jean) one of these days and shake his hand . Maybe some of his super licks will rub off ? ( I wish-- but no way ). He is no doubt MR.SMOOTH and in my opinion , NUMBER ONE in that catagory .

As the topic here says , "So Typical of John Hughey" .

My thanks to my friend TS for thinking of me at the time . It sure made my day, week and whenever to talk to John . Ok -- my friend's last name is McDonald in case b0b might think it bad of me to omit a full name here

John

Michael Lewis

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2004 3:42 am    

I'm still a green pea steeler, learning for about the last 3 years. I have a lot of friends in and around Nashville and one night we met at Legends Corner. The bands were switching for the next show and I watched this gentleman set up his steel and amps. As soon as they opened the first song I sort of dropped my jaw and looked at one of my friends commenting that the steel player was a monster! Such great tone and phrasing! My friend, a local from Franklin, said with a smile - "This is Nashville, players here are a dime a dozen!" Well, I'd never seen this guy before so I just smiled. When they introduced the band, John Hughey on steel I smiled even bigger. I'd never seen him but I sure had heard him over the years. I whispered in my friends ear - "Dime a dozen? 20 years with Twitty, Vince Gill - Steel Guitar Hall of Fame! You've got to get to Broadway more often!" I was so fortunate to be able to see Mr. Hughey close up. I hope to meet him some day.
Michael Lewis
72 Emmons D10, Nashville 1000
Mike Headrick

South Pittsburg, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 3:33 am    

The word is out and seems to have spread like wildfire. Lots of folks came by the Steel Guitar Masters series booth at the convention this past weekend who already had heard that John would be the second legend featured in the series. They were all elated and I feel I've made a wise choice for several different reasons. You all share my admiration for this great man and his sweet wife. He's a fantastic person who is loved by all, but also one of the most tasteful players in the business. He has crafted some of the most legendary licks, intros, turnarounds, and endings in country music history and he deserves any honor we can pay him. He shares the same respect we all have for Buddy, which not only says a lot for "The Big E", but also for John. It's wonderful to find humility in such talented and revered musicians, and both these great men have it.

------------------
Mike Headrick - email: steelfodder@aol.com
CDs
Buddy Emmons "Phases"

[This message was edited by Mike Headrick on 06 September 2004 at 11:31 AM.]

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 9:27 am    

I'm sure that John dosen't remember it, but I met him SEVERAL YEARS ago at our local coliseum, when I was a Police Officer, working off duty at a Conway concert there. I went early, went backstage, and met John. When he found out that I was learning to play, we went on stage, where he showed me his equipment, and explained several things to me.At the time, I had just gotten my first steel, and hardly knew a tone bar from a thumbpick, but I listened hard, and tried to remember all that I could. That meeting helped inspire me to keep trying, when I could have very easily given up on learning to play. That night, I learned that John, in addition to being one of the absolutely greatest players in the world, is equally great as a caring person, and friend.
Also, on that night, I heard some of the best picking that anyone could hope to hear.
Thanks John
George...
John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 9:40 pm    

You folks really Know how to make a fellow's head get big don't you. Just kiddin'.
Jean & I appreciate the nice compliments from all of you. "Thanks-a-million".
John & Jean Hughey
Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:45 pm    

AH JOHN
We only said it cause we "MEANT IT" !!!

STILL MY HERO !!!,,,,,,,,,BEN O'DELL
Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 4:23 pm    

I cannot say enough nice things about Mr. and Mrs. John Hughey. They are so hospitable to me everytime I see them. They both treat me like a grandson. I love them both very much!
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2004 5:31 pm    

John and Jean are THE REAL DEAL. What you see is what you get. We love them both dearly.