| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. what did you enjoy most @ ISGC?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  what did you enjoy most @ ISGC?
Chris Castle

Paintsville,Ky
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 5:33 pm    

I enjoyed pickin for many the long hours in the Derby room and on the main stage. I also enjoyed meeting new people who love steel guitar, along with getting to see all my friends I have made in the past through steel guitar.

I really enjoyed everything about the convention and honestly cant wait to go back next year.

- Thanks to all who stopped in the Derby room and watched me pick along with all the other great steel guitarists.

Hope to see you all again soon.

- If you didnt get a chance to grab one of my cd's, you can go to my website www.steelpickn.com
and find all the info you need to order one Very Happy

thanks again to all, and I hope you had/ have a safe trip home.

-- also a very special thanks to Scotty and Stoney for letting me be a part of this great show and for everything they have done for steel guitar. Thanks so much guys it means so much to me and everyone else.

-chris castle

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2009 6:25 pm     Best part of the ISGC for me...Norm Hamlet

Spending time with Norm and Pat Hamlet. It made the whole trip worth while for me...and meeting Mr. Don Warden!!!

Tommy
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 5:09 am    

That's easy.... hands down for me it was Al Perkins playing
Crossroads.
This is cutting edge steel playing, definitely outside of the same
country music festival the ISGC has come to be.
I loved it!

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 6:48 am    

What time did Al play? I was whipped (or wimped) from lack of sleep the night before and when he didn't show for his announced time slot and they didn't announce when he would be coming on or even if he was there, I watched a good portion of Herby's set then hit the hay---my loss it sounds like!!
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:45 am    

Yeah, it was a mystery why he didn't show up at his scheduled time slot, but right after Herby played, Al showed up as if nothing happened. Thank god I stayed.

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2009 7:58 am    

Scotty cleared up that mystery. He'd changed the schedule and neglected to inform Al of a change in his time...

I can never get enough of Norm Hamlet's playing. His set with Mike Jones was fantastic. I also enjoyed the excellent and moving Tom Brumley tribute followed by great performances by Joe Wright and Mike Sigler. Connie Wright's vocal performance was second to none.

It was great having my son along and meeting a lot of steel guitar friends.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2009 4:19 pm    

This years convention was a special one for me because I got to see my friend Dave Easely play on the big stage. Dave is an incredible player and has been very dedicated to the instrument since the day he started playing one. He's been playing the Jazz room for the last few years but seeing him on the big stage made my day. It's also great to see my friend Mike Sweeney playing at the convention. I believe it was his fourth year. He too is as dedicated to the pedal steel guitar as you can get and its great seeing two of my friends, both excellent players who put in a lot of hard work, playing at the St. Louis convention. The highlight of Mikes set for me was a ballad he played called "Going Home" which he said he heard in a movie soundtrack (its on his latest cd and I've been playing that tune 2 or 3 times a day). Dave did a version of an old Irish tune called Whiskey Before Breakfast that highlighted his set for me. Every player there sounded great but I just had to brag about my two friends, who are a testimony to the saying that hard work pays off!
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 7:52 am    

Thanks for the kind words Bob. It was great seeing you out there too. Talking about old times was fun even if it made you cringe once or twice Winking. Oh the fun we had at Gabe's back then.

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 11:30 am    

I got to sing "Wild Side of Life" on stage backed by a band of world class musicians, Including Herby Wallace on steel and another steeler who's name I cannot remember.

Can anyone tell me who the other steeler was?

It was a priceless moment.
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 2:10 pm     Isgc

Ray, the other steel player who was playing the HOF show when you sang was Russ Wever. Mike Sigler also played the HOF show during the first half, but he didn't play during the second half of the show.

Thanks,

Herby Wallace
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 2:53 pm    

Jazz room first, Connie Wrights song next.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 3:43 am    

Thanks Herby. It was the privilege of a lifetime to be on the same stage as you, Russ, and the band.
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 5:48 pm    

Meeting Mr Franklin, Larry Sasser, Russ Hicks, the Mullen crew, Bruce Zumsteg, Fred Justice, Jeff Surrat, Bill Ferguson, seeing David Hartley play live(wow), hearing Mike Sigler sing in the Mullen room,Mickey Adams, the Derby room watching Chris and late night with the Cox family,Johnny and Rusty Rhodes in the Jackson room. I know there are more. There was so much going on and I covered alot of ground, It was my first trip to St Louis and sure won't be the last. Comimg from the north east I was in steel guitar heaven. It's nice to talk with people I see, hear and read about. And thanks to everyone who took the time to pose for a kodak moment. I now have proof for my wife on where my money goes. And I agree with Darvin, Connie Wrights performance was outstanding.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 9:12 pm     Highlights of the ISGC

When I first started doing the sound for these shows little did I know I would become a fan, make some fabulous new freinds and see the most incredibly talented musicians. I may have missed some of the best to play but Ive also gotten to see the best play, so many players and so much laughter. What Ive enjoyed most is the FAMILY that the ISGC is, Bill Ferguson, Paul Polish, Bobby Caldwell, Roy Rosetta, Jimmy Queen, and all the staff band guys have been par excellence in patience and helping us make things better. The Pickers and Bands that appear and the vocalists have all earned my deepest respect, they perform a great rendition of music thats timeless and have educated me on the terms of Steel Guitar.

Favorite moments are far too many, and I look forward to this years ISGC and Im sure the Players will all have something to show us, they always do a great job, Welcome to the newcomer and the people whove come for 25 years or more. Some day I hope we all get to see a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame where the repositry of Music, and Instruments and Stories will grow and be seen by the Public as it needs to be.

Looking forward to seeing the Steel Guitar Family in St Louis in 2010, If you dont know me come over and introduce yourself, I Like to meet ya and welcome you to St Louis.

Don Lanier
Pearl Pro Audio
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase