| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for new steel players
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 8:16 pm    

I was wondering if there were any newer steel players interested in some basic & simple licks to build on ?
The reason I ask is many years ago when I started playing steel, I would beg, borrow & steel any licks I could .
With the wealth of fine steelers here on the forum I have learned more new licks than I can remember. I do remember the chromatic lick Ricky Davis posted a few years ago, Ive use it a million times since,,thanks Ricky

So if you are a new player looking for some licks, Im sure there are a few thousand just floating around here
Guy Nixon-Luke

Melbourne, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 9:18 pm    

Rick... as a new steel player, I would love to check out new licks. Personally, I'm not realy into speed licks or licks that emulate guitar (speed is one thing I ain't got), I like mellow steel playing based more on feel than speed. I'd also love some licks that use chords in them as well.

Thanks...

------------------
Guy Nixon-Luke
Carter S10DB E9

[This message was edited by Guy Nixon-Luke on 26 August 2002 at 10:30 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 11:31 pm    

Thanks Rick......and for the new players looking like Rick mentioned.....you can click the search up there on the right for this here tablature section; and type in (take for instance) my name "Ricky Davis" and it will give you every lick I've ever posted on here.....and that was alot at one time....eventhough I haven't posted much in some time.
And there are many names you can do that with.....and give any and every posting they did.....and there is a Bazzillion licks there guys.
Ricky
Matt Martin

Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 5:15 am    

Hey Rick, I looked for the chromatic lick that you said Ricky Davis posted some time ago but I guessed I missed it. Could you post it? It sounds as if it would come in handy. Thanks
Rick Tyson

Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 8:30 am    

Hi Matt
Im really not that good at posting tab & I did modify the original lick Ricky posted a little bit.
Ricky might post it or find it for you
The lick in question is used two frets below any no pedal position (major chord) up tempo, using the B & C pedals & strings 1 2 3&4.
Do you remember this lick Ricky?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 9:27 am    

Gosh Rick; it's not coming to me for some reason....I'm just not remembering...but I did turn 40 a couple of weeks ago....so that may be the problem with me memory....ah..ha
Ricky
Fred Brown

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 9:07 am    

Rick (...and Ricky),
Thanx for all the lick postings. I am new to this board and not used to being able to "search the archives". Most boards don't have that feature. Thanx for mentioning it and for posting the licks also.

Is there a chance there might be some 6 string open G licks around? I am new and trying to stay simple right now.

Fred
David Farlow

Nevada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 9:23 am    

I am also new to this forum. The wealth of information here is amazing.I sold my pedal steel several years ago and haven't played for a long time. Just played some on the 10 string E9 tuning. But, hope to purchase another pedal steel before too long. Like many others, I wish we had this forum years ago. Thanks to all those people who make this possible and those like Ricky Davis who are willing to share their knowledge and talents with others. I am looking forward to getting back into the Pedal steel guitar especially with all this expertise around!

------------------
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 10:50 pm    

Hey Cool Fred and David....also let us know if we can help in anyway.....and never think for a second that your question might be stupid...ha...Cause there is NO stupid questions in Steel guitar..
Ricky
Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 4:04 pm    

Great post! I have been playing & using the forums wealth of info for about a year. I am still in the stages where simple tab is hard & hard tab is way over my head! many tabs are posted that can be found through the search engine but at times like I say it's way over my head. It would be nice to be able to search for some easy tab. Some of Ricky's early posts are nice & easy.
Anyway you great tabbers please please keep up the good work!
Someone said it takes about 10 years to become a good steeler so I only got 9 left!!

[This message was edited by Jim Whitaker on 06 September 2002 at 05:06 PM.]

Fred Felix

Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 1:52 pm     Hi

HI there I am a new player and I would like all the help I can get. I would love some basic and simple licks to build on , that would be cool

all the best
Fred
Richard Paul

Iowa USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 4:21 pm     40 Rick

Wait till your in your 70's Rick and see if your memory is a problem. It's nice yous can give these young one some help. It may even help some of us old ones to. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing you time and talent.
Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 12:30 am    

The other place to go to for tabs is Rebelâ„¢, Ricky and Jeffs' MP3 Audio Clips And Tab

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

// Anders