| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with quality setting on a Peavey Nashville 400
Richard Elkins

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 7:51 am    

Hey, anyone willing to share their preferences on the setting for a Peavey Nashville 400 amp. I can't seem to find the right quality sound on this thing. Any help would greatly be appriciated. Oh Well
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 9:36 am    

Hi Richard,

I have a mid 90's Nashville 400, into which I've installed the Peavey mod. You can use my settings as a starting point. They are:

Input: 1
Pre Gain: 2 (Bright switch pulled on)
Post Gain: 9
Low: 9
Mid: -3
Shift: About "11 o'clock"
High: +3
Presence: +3
Reverb: Season to taste. Usually somewhere between 3 and 6

If you'd like, I can email a PDF file of the Peavey User's manual to you. Let me know your email.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 2:18 pm    

Turn the mid and shift all the way to the right, adjust the bass, treble and presence to about 2:00. Readjust B-T-P to fit the room or band etc.

Larry Behm
503-722-7562
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 5:23 am    

Quote:
Turn the mid and shift all the way to the right, adjust the bass, treble and presence to about 2:00. Readjust B-T-P to fit the room or band etc.
Shocked

Larry, I've never heard of anyone setting a Peavey parametric equalizer in such a fashion. Are you saying to turn the mids all the way up and set the shift towards the highest frequency range it controls? This would create a sound environment where there will be a +15dB boost at 1,500 Hz. That is near the frequency that the "High EQ" or treble control adjusts, which is the 'lower' portion of the high frequency range (at about 2,000 Hz). With that setting, you would effectively eliminate any mid frequency characteristics. Then, by adjusting the "High EQ" to 2 o'clock (about +3dB) you would be boosting the 1,500 through 2,000 Hz range, giving a very bright mid/high tonal characteristic. The "Presence" works at about the 5,000 Hz range. So, your suggestion would indicate an adjustment of +3dB at that frequency. This would possibly add more brightness to an already bright sound. What do you recommend for the use of the "Pull Bright" feature on the "Pre-Gain" control? The "Low EQ" works at about 100 Hz, so you're are suggesting, based on a very bright sounding setting, to adjust the 100 Hz range +3dB. Overall, the sound could end up with the "Low", "High" and "Presence" all adjusted to a setting where they are effectively, "flat" with each other, combined with a drastically eliminated mid range. Are you recommending this for modified or unmodified Peavey N'400's, N112's, etc? Without having tried your suggestion, logic tells me the amp will have a bright overall sound, and not much warmth.

Larry, I don't doubt that these settings work for you, but I don't think any adjustments as radical as your suggestion are a good "starting point" for someone having trouble figuring out how to use the Peavey Parametric Equalizer.

What I posted earlier was my personal choice. However, for someone completely baffled by the parametric eq, or someone trying to understand how it works, I would recommend starting out with the "Low", "Mid", "High", and "Presence" all set at 12 o'clock. These are "flat" settings. Then, with the "Shift" set at about 300 Hz (about 11 o'clock), start a slight dB boost (clockwise rotation) to the "Mids" and see if that takes you closer to your "sweet" mid tone. If not, try a slight dB cut (counter clockwise rotation). If that doesn't do it, try the "Shift" at 400 Hz, and repeat the process. Maybe going as high as 800 Hz (about 1 o'clock). NOTE: The more you turn the "Shift" counter clockwise, the lower the frequency range you will be actively boosting or cutting with the "Mid" control. Clockwise rotation of the "Shift" will provide the opposite result. Once you find your own "sweet" spot for the mids, then you can start small incremental boosts or cuts to the "Low", "High" and "Presence" controls, knowing the mids are anchored where you like them. NOTE: The "Pull Bright" control will further boost frequencies at or above 5,000 Hz.

Keep on pickin' amigo Very Happy
Glenn

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 3:12 pm    

I use the following:

Pre Gain: 5 (could vary) Bright switch pushed in
Post Gain: 10
Low: 9
Mid: -3
Shift: 800
High: Between 6 and 9
Presence: Between 6 and 9
Reverb: 3

My 1983 NV400 has a 1502 speaker and a Ken Fox mod, so these settings may sound different on yours, although they are the same as I used before the mod (except the reverb, which had to be cut back because of the mod to the reverb section).
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 6:01 pm     Bud

I like my Pre gain pulled out and i set it a litte lower than my Post gain . Depending on the room i at least set my Post around 6 and my Pre around 5 . Then i set my Low to Plus 9 and my Mid around -9 . My Shift around 800 and my High to around plus 3 and the Presence around Plus 3 . NOTE : ALL these depend on the room some rooms are more active than others -meaning more treble sounding . Some rooms need more bass etc . I don't think any one setting will work for every room . You have to make adjustments for every room . G.P. '' NOTE '' these are the settings that i use in my music room .

1977 Sho~Bud Pro-ll Custom ,1980 Sho~Bud L.D.G. ,2008 Emmons LeGrande lll . (2) Peavey Nashville 400's , (1) 1976 Fender Vibrosonic W/15'' D-130 factory J.B.L. Lexicon Processors exclusively .
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2009 3:52 am     differant pickups

Something else you might want to concider is which pickup you have. I have George L's 10-1's in one of my Willies and Tru Tones in the other. World of differance in what comes out of the amp at the same settings.

Geo