| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dining Options in St. Louis
Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 8:18 pm    

Aside from eating at the Millennium's two joints, where else can a fella dine (without reservations and without a coat and tie)? If there are no decent replies here, you folks are invited to join me in my room for potted meat and crackers. Suggestions anybody?
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 8:53 pm    

Tay,

Usually there's so much to hear and to see that's it's more or less a quick dinner at the hotel (at least for me), especially at nights (exception Sunday night, that's usually the farewell dinner) potted meat and crackers sounds like sheer luxury!

See you there, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 9:54 pm    

Tay,
If you walk a few blocks (4 or 5 maybe), there are the usual burgers and fries fast foods, and a Pizza place up the street from the hotel...
I've heard one of the hotels north of the hotel has a very good buffet, but I haven't been there..Seems like there isn't enough time...so I mostly snack, after the breakfast buffet at the hotel..
Had me some of them crackers and 'little weenies' to...
Lots of luck...
RP...'come on in'..
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 12:14 am    

I believe the hotel headed north is named the Renaissance. Their buffet opens at 5 or 530, I forget, but I do know the food isn't shoveled out of a # 10 can and then heated on a steam plate. The evening meal cost somewhere around twenty bucks excluding beverage, the morning buffet is 5 bucks cheaper but don't quote me on it. I don't know what time the breakfast line opens but I have seen real long lines at that one.
Get to the evening buffet 5 minutes before they open, that way you are guaranteed the serving utensils on the food line hasn't been tainted by someone's greasy fingers. Seems like some folks like to insert their pinkie in the alfrado sauce to see if the holding temp is a minimum 140 degrees. The dessert bar in my opinion is the main attraction but again, you need to arrive early since one of my buddies puts a big time hurting on the sweet table before he dishes out his salad and main entree. I won't mention his name since he is doing most of the driving to St. Louis.
Hey James, has it going...............oooops

[This message was edited by Gary Lee Gimble on 23 August 2004 at 04:13 AM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 12:56 am    

About 10 blocks away is the Old Quarter, and there are a bunch of rib joints around there.

St Louis Ribs are pretty good too.

There was a blues festival going on last year out side, don't know about this year.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 2:58 am    

Tay..I've been going easy on the carbs..put me down for some canned meat only..you can give my ration of crackers to someone else...

I'm staying up the street at the Adams Mark..

I've been told they actually have FOOD..and there is some FOOD in the surrounding area..but I guess I'll find out soon enough..

by the way..I'm honored to be working with the John ,Ann, Budd and the Carter folks..stop by and say hey...

bring some food...

t
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 4:29 am    

These comments are making me think that I might pay my expenses if I brought my charcoal grill and set up a parking lot bootleg hamburger concession in the back of my pickup!

www.genejones.com
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 5:18 am    

Hey Gene, that would be a good way to create a bootleg jam session outside the hotel. Maybe call it "Genes Tailgate Jam and Grill".
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 6:01 am    

To Walter....I guess I'm surprised that you didn't ask for 'vienna' sausage....Gene, I'm a customer...the price of food and having to pay for parking sure makes Texas look good.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 6:18 am    

Here's a list of downtown St. Louis restaurants that might be helpful.
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 7:01 am    

Thanks, Brad

Hooters for the Chicken Wings

bob
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 7:32 am    

Right there near the top of Brad's list is Caleco's Bar & Grill. They have excellent food and reservations are not necessary. It's getting pretty popular with the convention crowd on Saturday night during the break. I think Caleco's is only a few blocks up Broadway from Adam's Mark. There is also a Friday's and a Wendy's nearby.

The biggest problem is finding a good breakfast walking distance outside the hotel. Lately, I've just started getting to the hotel's buffet early. Just make sure and budget food separate from CD's and gear. No, seriously, the hotel breakfast buffet has a good selection, is reasonably priced, and recently they've improved the speed of service by setting up a 2nd buffet serving area.

------------------
HagFan

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 3:03 am    

The Adams Mark is an excellent place for food. Quick service, no wait.
I stayed there twice and prefer it to the Millenium!
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 4:55 am    

I like Genes idea, your not that far form down town, lots of good places to eat there..
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 6:04 am    

They usually set up a sandwich buffet for the noon crowd near the escalators, also.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 3:17 pm    

Don't forget pizza delivery to the hotel.
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 3:04 am    

Well I am going for Genes Idea.....as he is a Buddy of mine I might get to help out with the cookin and get to eat for free!!!!!!
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 7:06 am    

On Sunday evening after the show is over and we get packed up, several of us always go to Landrys at Union Station. Just a thought.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 8:33 am    

Man give me that place that puts chile on everything. I may have some chile pancakes just for fun. I really like they tamale's.But I didnd't know there were so many other places to go to. I hear a lot about the barbeque there in StLouis.

Gary it was fun having dinner with you last time there. Your culinary acuman is great. Hope we can do that a few times this year! I won't make you go to the chile place unless you really want to.

[This message was edited by W Franco on 25 August 2004 at 09:36 AM.]

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 10:56 am    

Wayne, my traveling companions will probably object to the chile joint considering the lingering effect chile has on my G I track. Its a mighty long way from MO to MD via a fancy conversion van, don't ya know!

If you wind up joining us at the buffet, I'll sneak in some of my designer chile powder, fine and coarse ground for your sprinkling pleasure.
I hope the boys arn't reading this!
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 1:51 pm    

Here's the place I go to when I am in St. Louis. Just down the street to the left when you walk out the front of the hotel across from The White Castle is a little bar with a beer garden and outside entertainment. They've got great seafood, shrimp, oysters and just about anything you want and very reasonable. It's always very crowded and the atmosphere suits me. I believe it's called The Broadway Oyster Bar. It's about two or three blocks down on the same street as The Millineum. You'll like it and it's about all ages that goes there.
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 8:59 pm    

WHITE CASTLE just down the street!!!!!! YUM!!YUM!! Just ask Walter, I took him there last year. HA!!! HA!!!!
Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 2:54 am    

Depending on your wallet, Coleco's is medium priced good food, Pat Shannon's is great, although high priced and you do need a reservation. Every one should do the Millenium's top of the roof restaurant at least once and see the great view of the city, even if you only sip water and have bread. The food has been great to average over the years with high price's and it requires a reservation. I think I was also at a Ruth's Chris that was okay with stratosphere pricing.

Bruce

------------------

www.pedalsteel.net

[This message was edited by Bruce W Heffner on 30 August 2004 at 04:02 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 4:39 am    

Tay,
Hunan Manor Chinese on Pine St. has a great buffet friday & saturday.

Max & Erma's on Market St. Very good & close by.

Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 31 August 2004 at 04:52 AM.]

Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 5:38 am    

For breakfast, we usually go at least once to Hodge's Chili Parlor, ....a couple blocks north, then a block west from the Millennium ...sorta up by Calico's ..but a block from that