| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hot Club of America CD
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 10:30 am    

Today, I received my Jody Carver Hot Club of America CD.

The staff musicians talent and execution on the CD was exemplary, but I was most impressed with the extraordinary playing by Jody Carver. Those lightning-fast passages, especially the combination bar & tone control movements, are unsurpassed by any of his contemporaries of his era. At one time in my career I practiced for hours trying to duplicate that style of playing, but failed miserably. I have since been happy to just listen to those who can do it, such as Jody Carver.

For some steel-guitar history, and some world-class playing by a Fender Music Company Icon who was there, you need to buy one of these CD's for your collection.

Better yet, come to St Louis and listen to his set at the convention, and then buy one of these CD's.

www.genejones.com
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 11:32 pm    

I agree with everything you said, Gene, except for seeing Jody at the convention. Last I heard, his wife's serious medical condition has his full attention, and St. Loius will have to wait.
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 4:01 am    

Gene, Joey and everyone else:

The latest word I have from Jody said that two doctors have told them not to make the trip, but Marilyn is a strong-willed woman, so don't count them out yet. I see that Scotty has not taken Jody off the list yet -- so we'll see. I'm going to the convention for the first time also, Gene, and one of my motivations is to hear Jody play -- and to meet him in person for the first time. That alone will be worth the trip for me.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 4:13 pm    

I too just got my copy and the sound quality is awesome - it just about jumps out of the speakers. Jody did a first-class job of mastering and packaging. I'm so glad that the encouragement of many of us forumites and Jody's own determination came together to see this through. Kudos to Dave Van Allen for starting the ball rolling. Jody, this record sounds flat out great. Anybody who digs Speedy & Jimmy will enjoy the interplay betweeen Johnny's lightening-fast Strat and Jody's Fender Custom. Hot stuff!
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 4:41 pm    

Everyone needs to add this to their music library. It is some great stuff. Jody's moves and playing is pure genious. Better be gettin it before they're gone.
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 4:46 pm    

Roy, Jody called me today and he is on the way. I'll be up Friday and hope to meet up with you there. Now you know Jody's not gonna make an ordinary trip BECAUSSSSE he has already made it an adventure. Let him tell you about it when he get's to St. Louie. Looking forward to meeting you there.
Kerry Wood

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 8:14 pm    

Hello, I just got my Copy of the new Hot Club of America CD today and wanted to chime in as well and say how great it is. Anyone who is going to St. Louis really owes it to themselves to pick up a copy. I can't imagine any fan of the steel guitar not having a copy of this in their music library. Just do a search through the archives of this forum, and see how many people have been pleading for this album to be re-released over the years. People have been so desperate to hear this music that an original copy of the album sold for $153 on ebay last year. Wanna know why? Because up until now, finding an old album was your only way of enjoying this piece of music history. If you're not going to be in St. Louis this week, here's a link to the thread with the ordering info: click here

Kerry
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 8:15 am    

I got one of the original records on Ebay, but couldn't find a turntable for rent for love or money.
I finally found a used one this week, and just bought the darned thing.

So I now hav the CD for the trip to St Louis.
Yes as Gene said it has some really cool playing on it.
Jody and Johnny Cucci had some fine lines.
I am looking forward to finally meeting Jody too.

Well last post and I am on the road.

"Meet me in St Louis." as the song says.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2004 9:28 am    

I was one of the fortunate ones. I bought this album new,in 1958,& still have it in my collection.

I will be picking up the rest of Jody's CD's today,(9/1) for delivery to St. Louie. If you want one of these CD's you'd better plan on gettin' one early,'cause he only had 400 pressed up.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com