Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "New" toy on the way!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2009 9:31 am    

These 800's are TOUGH to find!
400-no problem ..
1000- no problem..
2000, not easy, but enough around if you want one. 800- REAL tough. Been looking a LONG time.
Found this at a vintage guitar dealer in Utah. Aarvark Guitars..
Nice guys and nice gear priced well.
Its been played for sure.. Dig the "high tech levers!! Very Happy ... I may take them off, and put something more modern in ,gotta see how they work first..
Tough to find a Fender 800 with 6 and 3.. This guitar may be my dream, or I may try to unload it on one of you guys in a week if its a mutt. lol!! I gave $800 plus shipping.. Not great, I would have rather have paid $500 or so, but man these are scarce, and guys with clean ones are not letting them go. I felt I had to take what I could get.
Should be here in a few days. .. I hope to make a little 30 second recording with it and let you guys hear it.. I have a stack of vintage BF and SF Fender amps as well as an old Tube Traynor that are dying to meet this guy! Wish me luck with this old road warrior. I was told its from an old time honkey tonk steeler from the SW states someplace. Don't know if that true, but it LOOKS the part, doesn't it?.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 7:15 pm    

Nice, Bob. Not a bad deal, IMHO. What's the copedent?

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 7:30 pm    

Looks cool, Bob. Hot dogs for knee levers, I would have never thought of that!! Wink
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 8:21 pm    

LOL...You beat me to it Bill.

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 2:12 pm    

b0b wrote:
Nice, Bob. Not a bad deal, IMHO. What's the copedent?

b0b... Good question... You know, I am so dumb, I never asked. duh...
I would imagine E9 standard on 123, but who knows???
The guitar shop I bought it from wouldn't know anyway. They bought it to sell because its old and its a Fender.
They are suppossed to be cake to change copedent on but I have never done it.. Had a nice 400 a few years back but couldn't bond with 8 strings and no levers, never changed the copedent.
The levers look godawful,and I may put something more modern on, depending on how they work, and how well the lever mechanism was done.. If there are friggin' door hinges under there, off they come.
$800 is about market. Somewhere somebody has a clean 800 they would let go for $500, but that might take forever. The 800 is tough to find, thats why I "settled" for a 400 last time and was unhappy with the lack of chromatics .
I would have liked a cleaner one, but I have been looking for a year with no luck, and didn't want to pay ebay prices for a real clean one, so I took what I could get, .. I hope she works for me. bob

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 2:48 pm    

And a bucket seat.
Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 3:27 am    

Nice score Bob. We'll be looking forward to what that baby sound like!
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 3:58 am    

Cool score, Bob. I agree with you - the reason I haven't taken the jump on a 400 is that I just won't live without the chromatic strings either, and I really want at least 3+3 on a pedal steel. I don't think $800 is remotely too much.

Good to see you posting more again.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 4:34 am    

Bob, it looks like the levers are attached to the rear apron and that aluminum plate. They may have drilled holes in the apron for a shaft to go through it, then some kind of bellcrank on the on the other side. If they do function OK, the quickest fix might be just to paint everything black, levers too, to match the body of the guitar. The sunburst Fenders are pretty cool looking, good luck with it.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 3:32 pm    

Bill Moore wrote:
Bob, it looks like the levers are attached to the rear apron and that aluminum plate. They may have drilled holes in the apron for a shaft to go through it, then some kind of bellcrank on the on the other side. If they do function OK, the quickest fix might be just to paint everything black, levers too, to match the body of the guitar. The sunburst Fenders are pretty cool looking, good luck with it.

I have some aluminum bar stock, and what I don't have I can get... Those wood bars look to be fastened to aluminum bar stock... maybe the last player had trouble reaching the knees and this was the fix,,, It should be here in a day or so, I'll post on what horrors I encounter! bob

LeRoy Sawyer

Walton, NY 13856
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 11:48 am    

Bob, before you paint your 800 black you should see what it will look like, but it will sound better. Here is mine. Roy
[/img]