| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chord Question
Anthony Chavez

Everywhere, New Mexico
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2009 7:17 am    

We are doing The Best of My Love By the "Eagles" And in The original key of C. When playing that song What is that second Chord After the C chord in the verse? It's not an F or a Dm. Is it an Fmaj7? How do play that chord on the E9th? Can somone show how to play this chord in different postions an Fmaj7 please

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2009 9:10 am    

Tony,

There are plenty of songs that go from C to Fmaj7, it’s a very nice sounding change, but I don’t think that’s what they used in this song.
You say in the key of C the second chord is not an F or Dm. I believe it’s a combination of the 2 of them, a Dm7. The notes of that chord are D F A C
One easy place to find that is on the 8th fret using strings 7 6 5 4 with your A & B pedals engaged.

Side note –
Not all chords that sound real pretty on a standard 6-string guitar necessarily translate as well to a pedal steel guitar. And just because there happens to be 4 notes in the chord, doesn’t mean you have to be playing all 4 notes every time that chord appears. If I was playing that particular song in a band, I would let the guitar player play the nice full melodic rhythm chords and have the pedal steel weave in & out with beautiful, effective melodies & swells, maybe using an occasional 4 or 5 note chord, but primarily using 2 & 3 note harmonies. -- just my opinion.

Marc
Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2009 11:20 am    

I concur w/last post: Dm7. I play it on the 1st & 13th frt raising A pedal, notes C to D which is 7th to root.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 5:35 pm     Maj 7th locations

even though the guys have this covered if you are looking for a maj7th chord think of it this way. now please someone tell me if I am wrong here. at your first fret its a F now lower your E's now this could be three different chords depending on the Bass guitar and other guitars of course, this could be a C, it also could be a Am, or it can be a Fmaj7th again depending on the other instruments. hope that makes sense. now lets stay in F go to 8th fret pedals A&B down you have your F. release the B pedal is a Fmaj7th.or a Am once more see how they all sort of works together. again depending on the Bass guitar. one could get into more stuff like this oh heck why not. same thing 8th fret A pedal only could also be a D7th. thats all for now hope this helps on your thought for chords and again if someone feels I made a mistake please post it. wont be no hard feelings on this end

Jackson, Michigan
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2009 8:23 pm    

You can play a true 4 note FMaj7 at the 3rd fret.

s5-3A
s6-3B
s7-3

s9-3

later...joe
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2009 3:03 pm    

Why not just play something simple like the PSG does all thru the song. Call it an Fmaj7 or a Dm9 matters little. Here's how it went at the point mentioned in the song.

Here is my favorite Fmaj7 or Dm9

Anthony Chavez

Everywhere, New Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 11:51 am    

Thanks Bo it sounds pretty. Smile