| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saluda's over
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 2:19 am    

Well, another one'sunder the table.Charles and Buddy, with a lot of volunteer help, have done it again! Some folks may have been afraid of the weather, but Sonny Curtis, Herby Wallace, Russ Hicks, Randy Beavers, Clyde Bloodworth, and a whole lot of others(sorry, guys, for not listing everybody's names--I ain't gettin' no younger!) picked up our OWN storm! Sonny's first visit to Saluda, what a classy dude-tone sounded like the Black Album! Jeff Newman's camo pac-a-seat was auctioned to raise money for the Shriner's Hospital, and the BIGGEST thrill of all---The Forum's own Brett Day brought down the house, and showed Tommy Dodd what a steel should sound like! Brett was up in Hughey land, playing "Look at Us." Standing ovation, and the man deserved it! Thanks to Tommy, too, for squeezing in the date, when he had to get back to Georgia for another gig.
The band was it's usual superb self, we had some good laughs, and feel sorry for anybody who wasn't there!
Charles Reese is up and around, after his surgery, but he's moving slowly, so y'all keep him in your prayers----and tell Larry I said,"Hello!"
See y'all in November!
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 3:39 am    

...and Stephen was a LOT of that volunteer help! It was another day of "family reunion" that just happened to have some wonderful music to go with it. Every one who comes is made to feel like family, and that's one of the reasons Buddy and Charles have such a supportive following. Come see us in November and let 'em show you what I we mean!

[This message was edited by Roger Crawford on 16 August 2004 at 09:35 AM.]

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2004 12:56 am    

Yes, it was a terrific show! Steve, I enjoyed hearing you on your Dobro. Nice job!! All the regulars were their great usual entertaining selves. Sonny Curtis had both his girls there - his beautiful wife AND their little Yorkie.
Laney and Russ stole the show, as always. Fantastic show! Rob sang his heart out! Bret Day and Tommy were an awesome duo until Bill Ferguson cut in and wouldn't give Tommy his Zum back.
We had to leave early to get back for Tommy's gig.
Good time had by all! Great french fries, too!!!! And of course a wonderful organization to support!!
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 4:00 am    

I'm surprised there havn't been more comments on the once again terrific show in Saluda, so I'll make a few myself.

Donna, you're right, Russ and Laney stole the show, but don't they always. Russ is such a great player and if there is a better country singer anywhere than Laney, I have't heard'm.

Randy Beavers continues to impress me more everytime I hear him. Randy, sorry I missed the ending on one of your songs, but I get so carried away listening, I forget to read the charts.

Sonny Curtis needs to play more shows. Period. Sure glad he recovered in time to make it to South Carolina.

Brett, you did it again. What a treat it is to see this young man on stage. Tommy Dodd, you make a pretty darn good sidekick, thanks for making it to the show. If seeing these two on stage doesn't make you feel good about the steel guitar community and country music, well, ...............

Charles, we missed you on the show, keep getting better so you can play more next time.

Herby Wallace: WOW as always.

There were way too many great players to mention everyone, but what a great show. I'm already looking forward to November.

See ya soon,
Jim
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 11:27 am    

Well what a great day as always. Great music and better than that, great friends.

Many asked about the "Country River Band".
Well they chickened out at the last minute, actually at midnight Saturday night. Put me on the spot for Sunday, but I got it covered.
With the help of Wayne Stowers, Wayne Smith, Bob Strickland, Woody Ledford, Johnny Thomas and Rob Parker, we pulled my show off.

Now there was another treat that really helped.

Nuff said

Also, I was able to PUSH Tommy D. aside and pick one with Brett on Tommy's ZUM, (not a Carter, but ok)

I can tell you that if more of us would learn to appreciate what we DO have instead of worrying about what we DON'T have, we would all be better players.

Bill Ferguson

------------------

Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"

[This message was edited by Bill Ferguson on 19 August 2004 at 12:30 PM.]

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 4:12 am    

Bill F.

Great pictures. The one of Laney was taken from just the right angle to hide the ugly back-up singers. Well done.

See ya soon,
Jim
Peter

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 5:20 am    

Has this show been recorded? If so, is there a way for us foreigners to hear the show, or some parts of it?

------------------
Peter den Hartogh
1978 Emmons S10 P/P; 1977 Sho-Bud D10 ProIII Custom;
1975 Fender Artist S10; Remington U12; 1947 Gibson BR4;

Internationally Accredited 3D Animation Academy
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 5:33 am    

Ok Jim, here it is. Oh yes my previous post failed to mention my MAIN man that pulls me through these shows. Mr. Jerry Braswell

The Bill Ferguson & Company Show

Bill

[This message was edited by Bill Ferguson on 21 August 2004 at 06:42 AM.]

Buddy Walker

Johnston, SC, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 8:02 am    

We had a great day 17 Steelers got to play . appreciate all the support Now getting ready for Nov 13.14-9-04 also a a good jam Saturday night also appreciate our new member to Saluda Shrine Club John Floyd who comes 400 miles each time to run the PA Thank
Buddy Southern Steel Guitar

------------------
Buddy Walker

[This message was edited by Buddy Walker on 21 August 2004 at 09:03 AM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 1:22 am    

Buddy, ol' John's like a used car--ain't much to look at, got too many miles on it to be worth much, needs a little paint---but still reliable tranportation! I got a good picture of John, I just wish I was as smart as Ferguson and knew how to post it! Bill, help me out here!!
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 4:27 am    

Stephen, you either have to have a web site or a place on the internet to store pictures. OR email it to me and I will post it for you.

See ya
Bill
Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 2:26 pm    

Hey guys...what a great weekend it was; always is...too many people to thank....we always leave someone out but I must thank Jim H.,Wayne S. and all the 'boys in the band'...Steve G., Bill F.,John F.,and what a great lineup of 'regular' steelers on this show....Tommy D.,Joe T.,Clyde B. AND A BUNCH OF OTHERS...always looking forward to our next trip to Saluda.
Lots of Love,
Russ & Laney
Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 5:18 pm    

We sure had a great time at the Saluda show this year. This was our first show. It was good to see all you nice folks there in Saluda. Looking forward to doing it again