| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CDs by Gene Jones
Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 10:13 pm    

This post is to recommend the CDs by Gene Jones. I know a lot of you would like these. For about five years during a stretch of illness that has me in the prone position most of the time, I've had these on top my stereo with the other CDs I play the most. So they've been in heavy rotation and been enjoyable and interesting. His two CDs are called "Steel Guitar Instrumentals" and "Just for Me." Actually, he could have called them "Just Right" and "Just for Darryl H" because if I'd requested my favorite tunes and styles, this is what I would have asked ask for.

His playing of "Panhandle Rag," "Boot-heel Drag," "Bud's Bounce," and "Just Pedaling" is dynamic and forceful as befits made-for-steel songs. He plays them straight ahead without saying, "Hey, here's something Leon couldn't do." He's paying homage to the heroes. Like "Boggs Boogie,” which gets a great traditional treatment with horns and fiddle and sounds like it was done in the 1940s.

"The Waltz You Saved for Me" and "Mansion on the Hill" are classic country songs, and Gene gives them the classic treatment they deserve. And the same goes for the classic gospel tune, "Precious Memories."

"Faded Love" is a duet between steel and dobro and gets that good traditional crying tone. A lot of fine dobro on "Mama's Baby Boy" too, and the steel gets that church chimes tone.

"Green Green Grass of Home" shows what a beautiful tune this. I hadn't really listened to just the melody before. The way Gene does it, it comes out as fine and delicate as "Danny Boy."

"Jersey Bounce" and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" are usually swing tunes done with at least a small band, but Gene gets that swing era feel by paring it down to a duet between steel and vibraphone, which makes for a great demonstration of how steel can go with a wide variety of other instruments.

"I Left My Heart in San Francisco," "Misty," "Tenderly," "Moonglow," and "September Song" are some of my favorite songs, and Gene's playing of them is creative, imaginative, and original as befits jazz tunes. These show you how he can think up complex variations, and you realize he'll do it on songs like these because they call for it. But he's not going to show you what a jazzer he can be unless it's right. "Night Life" gets a great bluesy treatment.

I don't know Gene, but I could tell from his posts that I'd probably like his playing, and I was right. For years, posting on the forum has been a little hard for me, but I'm getting better, and Gene's music has helped a lot.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 5:01 am     Gene Jones

It's not often that I post on this Forum,however I have read what has been said about my friend Gene Jones and would like to contribute about his fine steel playing,I have known Gene since I first joined this Forum, he and I and Roy Ayres and Paul Graupp know the kind of man he is, his steel playing is well above the average to say the least, I think he is GREAT, and as a friend I know of no one other than Gene that has done for me when I suffered the loss of my wife only 4 weeks after I met Gene in Saint Louis back in 2004..He is a gentleman and he too
has had heartbreak in his life,we email one another often, he is not a braggard nor does he try to tell of his accompolisments of which he has many..he was with Conway Twitty during his early days in the service he played a Fender triple neck custom steel as I do as well, he has been able to make the transition fron non pedal to pedal steel, something I've not been able to do....in my eyes Gene Jones is a great steel player and a best friend, I would hope to be half the man he is, when God takes me home, he will always be remembered by my family and especially my beautiful grandaughter Casey who thinks so very much of Gene and refers to him as Cowboy Gene. Gene has carried me when I was down after losing my beloved wife and was there for me since then,I know of no better friend that my friend..GENE JONES!!!! And to my very special friends Reece Anderson and Fred Shannon for helping me so very much after my wife Marilyn passed on Novemeber 15th 2004 I donated that to the United Cancer Foundation ......my sincere thanks to both of you Reece and Fred..

Here take a look at his website..he is humble and not self serving and I'm proud to call Gene Jones my very good friend and again a GREAT steel player, and yes I have all of his cd's and listen to his fine playing most all the time...

www.genejones.com

Thank you for honoring my friend Gene Cowboy Jones who hails from the great state of Oklahoma..God be with Gene and his lovely wife Charlotte forever..

Last edited by Jody Carver on 29 Jul 2012 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 9:07 am    

This thread was brought to my attention and I am so humbled by it.

The comments by both Darryl Hattenhauer and Jody Carver should have been reserved for someone much more qualified than me, but I will copy and save this for my great-grandchildren who may think that I was a greater musician than I was.

To Darryl, thank you so much for your comments. You understood my selections for the album and you appreciated them for the intent, even though we both know that the recordings could have been much better.

For my friend Jody, bless you! Friends come and go and fade with time, but my appreciation and affection for you and your talent and your friendship will never fade away.

While I have recently lost some of my precious animal friends I have always remembered Coco and Oreo, and the care that you gave them, even when you were so stressed with caring for your beloved Marilyn during her last days. I am so thankful that I became acquainted with her at St Louis.

You are always in my thoughts Jody and I love you like a brother.

Gene

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 10:11 am    

I consider both Gene Jones and Jody Carver to be at the very top of my "Best Friends" list. We have been Forum friends for years, and I finally got the privilege and honor of meeting them both at the ISGC. I think it was 2004 (the year Jody was inducted into the Hall of Fame) because Laurie and I met Jody's wonderful wife who had attended with Jody that year. In spite of the size of the convention, Gene and I ran into each other for the first time in the stairwell to the parking garage. I have CD's by both of them on my hard disk and play them quite often. They play the way we used to do it in the pre-pedal days. May the Keeper of the Stars watch over these two fine gentlemen.
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 10:14 am    

After reading this thread I just had to chime in with my nickles worth. Gene is a steel players steel player in my opinion. AND he can make that Carter talk to you when he puts his hands to the task. It doesn't matter what song it is, he gives it the perfect treatment. Be it country, blues, jazz, gospel, whatever, he's up to the task. The only complaint I have about his playing is that there's just not enough of it ! Gene and Jody have been friends of mine for (It seems like forever)so long now that I can't even remember when it started.
I've never met either of these guys except through the forum but I hope that that can be remedied before my time in this world is over.
Thanks b0b, for letting us become acquainted through this forum.
(climbing off my soapbox now)
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 4:07 pm    

I could add something to this but I'd be copying someone else's words. It's like Walter Cronkite was to TV news, these folks are to Steel Guitar. I may have lost a lot in the past two years but have found equally as much on this Forum and I thank b0b for the access he provides us but I'll have to wait until next Sunday morning to Thank The Man Up Above for providing me with friends like these !! Very Happy Very Happy

Regards, Paul
Mike Gross

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2009 6:34 pm    

I have to say that Gene's 2 CDs are both a part of my "Swingin' West" radio show lists. They are both favorites of mine and my listeners.

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 1:19 pm    

Gene,

Thanks for letting me know that I understood what you were doing. And I guess that a few of the tracks could have had better technology for getting the sound. But that doesn't bother me because my first exposure to steel was Vance Terry on the radio of a 1949 Olds, and I just don't need all of the technology that you pros have to deal with.

I hope this confession doesn't ruin my credibility, but I'm more of a steel listener than player. In fact, my main instrument is the banjo. (Don't hang up, bOb.) So I don't pretend to be an expert, but I must have a good ear because I tend to like what other forumites like (except for Perlowin's appreciation of the Beach Boys--sorry Mike).

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2009 7:19 pm     Gene Jones

I just saw this post about Gene. Gene has always been one of my Favorites. I have his CD's and he does it all,country,pop,jazz, hawaiian.A very good talented musician.I have played his CD's many times as I like his various styles of playing.

I am glad to see that Jody Carver is a good friend of Gene.Way back in the 50's, I heard good things about Jody, and although we crossed paths many years ago, I never was lucky enough to meett him, until the Forum.
Jody is another of my favorites. I have his Great CD's and still waiting for his Book. He shows how he mastered the Steel Guitar, before and without pedals. Just great. This Forum has been so great to have met so many fine Steel Players over the years. Thanks to b0b...al.Smile Very Happy Cool Cool

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 8:06 am    

An update.

What could I possibly say that would express the depth of my gratitude for the kind words written by Roy Ayers, John Phillips, Paul Graupp, Mike Gross, and Al Marcus.

Those guys collectively represent so much history, talent, and contribution to music and the steel-guitar community that I feel so inadequate by comparison, but, I also feel honored by their comments.

Luv you guys, and I can only add my heartfelt "thank you".

Gene