| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Box !! Ken Fox
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2009 6:18 pm    

I have been using a BB on my steel rig for a couple years now. I use a Steel King or a Vegas and the BB smoothes out both amps. I also play a Tele sometimes. I have , what I think, the best guitar amp, other than a Twin Reverb, that has ever been built. A Peavey MX.
Today I put the BB up front of the MX. Guess what. I have a amp combo that will blow away a Twin Reverb.
Tube pre. Tube out and as we all know, 4 6L6's in a Peavey builds a lot more power than Fender does. Don't know why but I feel sure some of you guys know what I am talking about. Could be Ken can tell us.
I know a MX is hard to find. I bought one new in 1982 and don't think too many people caught on. Back then, if you were a guitar player, you wanted a stack. PA system's were only for the pro's. Now days a small amp and a mic. is the way to go.
OK , non tube guitar players, Buy a BB. Put it up front of your amp and see the diff. You might get a little of the tone we steel players are getting !! Very Happy

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2009 8:32 am    

The preamp and tone circuits are nothing like a Fender. Peavey's just have a lot more mids in them and cut thru the band noise very well. I really like the older Peavey hybrid amps, such as your MX. The older Deuce and Mace (not the VT series) are my favorites, as they use a discreet transistor front end and not C chips as in the later VT series amps.

The Heritage was another nice hybrid with IC front end and 4-6L6GC tubes. However it's power tubes were cathode driven, like most of the Musicman amps. The older Mace and Deuce tubes were driven at the grid, likr the convention tube amps of day's gone by.