| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back on Steel after 4 years......
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 6:21 am    

Well, the Legends Band played our final gig at the Virginia Beach Farmer's Market on Friday night August 6th. It was a sad thing but good in other ways. I joined the band a little over 4 years ago on lead guitar as they already had a steel player. Larry Sutphin was on steel and he's one great player and it was cool working with him and stealing some of his licks. Since the band split up I've got 5 gigs for the rest of the month and they're all on steel which I'm really happy about. I sort of lost my practice mode and hardly ever took my steel out of the case except when I'd get an occasional gig but that's changed now. I'm gonna try to regain some ground I lost. Our instrument is a wonderful thing but a person really needs to keep after it or you can lose some chops quickly. Have a great day and it's great to be a steeler again....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 5:14 pm    

Jerry, from the way you sounded at Tarboro, I don't think you've been very far away for the last 4 years. Great sound and alot of knowledge up and down the neck. Great job!!!!!!!!
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 10:47 pm    

Jerry,
Did you used to play for Jimmy Dickens??
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 3:08 am    

Thanks Joey, I had a great time in Tarboro, I wish I could have stayed for the Sunday jam too but too much goin' on every Sunday around my house. I enjoyed all the fellowship and friendly atmosphere that the MASGA jams seem to have. Everyone picked good and I liked 'em all....Can't wait for the next Kannapolis jam. I've never been to one at that location but I hear they're great.
No Billy,
All my pro playing was done on the West Coast in the 60's, 70's, & 80's. I'd have liked to play for Dickens as I really love his music. Have a good 'un, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 12 August 2004 at 04:15 AM.]