| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newman Tuning
Anthony Chavez

Everywhere, New Mexico
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 1:21 pm    

I don't know what to think. I have been using his tuning for 7 years now but, my old steel teacher "Frenchy" Hated it and frowned on me for using it Tuning my "E" strings to 442.5.on the E9th. Why is it bad and why don't some people like it. Even On Paul Franklin's website he said he tunes to 441 or 442. Someone enlighten me. Oh Well

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 1:33 pm    

Depending on how much cabinet drop on the E strings you have when you press A & B down on a particular guitar it may or may not work. Thats why the E's are tuned sharp open. You have to tune a steel guitar to itself taking into account any E string a G# string drop. Tuning by ear and then taking the readings has been the best method for me. The best advise I ever got from Nashville master players was to learn to tune by ear. You can check your own guitar by pressing A & B down ann watch for the amount of drop on the E srings on a tuning meter. Tuning pedals down by ear takes this into account.
Anthony Chavez

Everywhere, New Mexico
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 1:37 pm    

Cabinet Drop? explain please. Just so I completely understand.

Britain
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 1:50 pm    

Kevin's right on the money with his advice.

Do a search for 'cabinet drop', it has been discussed several times
Anthony Chavez

Everywhere, New Mexico
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 2:18 pm    

Ok will do.Thanks

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 5:28 pm    

i have owned 5 different guitar's and jeffs tuning worked on all of them
the one i am playing now only has 0.5 drop and it still works

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 6:50 pm    

I'm sorry Calvin, but no one number chart tuning will work on all guitars. It is impossible because of different cabinet drop.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2009 7:36 pm    

Kevin, I'm with you there. The Newman chart is ok for starters. You then make up your own chart for your own guitar
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 3:24 am    

Newman's chart is sort of a "default" tuning. As others have said, no one guitar will fall in line with Jeff's chart exactly, although I've owned a few that have came close.

I just tune my E's to 440 with the AB pedals down, and tune the beats out from there - starting with the open strings and then the pulls. Works for me. When I write down the tempered notes, they always veer off from the Newman chart, although the pattern is somewhat the same: sharp B's, flat C#'s, etc.

I used to enter my tunings into the popular Peterson Stroboflip, but lately have been leaving this beast home and just using a $30 Korg tuner with the needle. I have my settings written on a flash card. I am always simplifying my gear for quick setup and teardown, and I'm growing weary of having gadgets hanging off my steel.
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 6:36 am     tuning

I have found that Buddy Emmons's harmonic tuning really gets a guitar in tune with itself, which is how it should be.
thanks
BIlly
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 6:43 am    

Jeff had two different tuning charts.
The first one had the E's tuned to 440, that is the one I use. Very Happy
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 7:38 am    

Billy, I thoroughly agree. Harmonic tuning will tune a steel to itself. Chris, thats pretty much how I tune also.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 8:38 am    

Chris, you said it better than me with the word "default" which is what I meant.

Erv, You're right, Newman did have two charts..one with teh E's at 440(the older one) and one with the E's at 442(the newer one) I take it the newer one is the revised and corrected one and that the older one is no longer valid.

Billy, Emmons' harmonic tuning..can you explain it or tell us where to find it?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 8:52 am    

I guess it's a case of "different strokes for different folks" but this is Jeff's earlier tuning chart and the one that I use.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 9:34 am    

The problem with this thread is that we have contributors, offering advice, who may or may not be able to play.

I have nailed my flag to the mast, and have put my playing up on youtube, warts and all.

I don't know if some posters are players or collectors (or both), but any advice from them should be taken with a pinch of salt, in my humble opinion.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 9:38 am    

I've used Jeff's older tuning chart for near 30 yrs. And, I've never had a problem with being out of tune with anybody or instrument. Many bands and hundreds of recordings and never a problem. I tried his "newer" tuning and didn't like it at all. It didn't sound right to me. I guess it's what I'm used to.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:42 pm    

richard burton wrote:
The problem with this thread is that we have contributors, offering advice, who may or may not be able to play.

I have nailed my flag to the mast, and have put my playing up on youtube, warts and all.

I don't know if some posters are players or collectors (or both), but any advice from them should be taken with a pinch of salt, in my humble opinion.

Richard, first of all I can see no problem with this thread..
Second, all types of contributors are allowed to state their opinion. I am sure you will agree that playing level should have nothing to do with it.. We all know how to tune the things for goodness sakes and I, for one, take offense to your opinion, which I think was not humble at all.

I remember back when your playing ability left quite a bit to be desired Did we take you with a pinch of salt? No...we encouraged you and told you to keep on playing, regardless of your playing level.

Am I a player? certainly not. I play a few tunes with many mistakes but I do have enough knowledge to state an opinion on tuning methods.
Whether or not others have "nailed their flag to the mast" shouldn't matter in a discussion like this.

Frankly I am surprised at your post, and take exception to the level of arrogance you displayed.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:46 pm    

Bent,
Amen to that! Very Happy
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 2:40 pm    

Wow... what a load of bollocks.

Cabinet drop has been discussed since I started playing in 1970, and no doubt long before that. You are a bit late to the game.

As far as being able to play, I can. And Jeff's tuning guide -- g-u-i-d-e -- was invaluable in getting a guitar to play in tune with itself. Harmonics are also a good way.

I looked for you on YouTube but nothing shows up. Do you post there under another name?

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 3:23 pm    

I get my E's and B's in on a cheap tuner (green light shows you're in tune)...then all the rest by "EAR"...you have got to develop your ear...why worry about mega expensive tuners with flashing rows of lights. Did the great gypy guitar plays like Django even have a tuner? I very much doubt it. Also in the early day's after reading an article by Buddy, learn to play in the dark on occasions....turn the lights off...develop your ear and accuracy like you're blind Smile How's you doing Richard...say hi to Cynthia for me Smile

Micky Byrne United Kingdom

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 3:23 pm    

A guitar doesn't have to be "perfectly" in tune for you to play it in tune. I know guys who can't hold the bar straight and they can still play in tune. I know people who tune by ear, with the bar on the 3rd or 5th fret.

The tuning of the open strings isn't all that important because we rarely play open strings. It's best to just get your guitar in tune by ear, testing it at several bar positions, and then measure the open strings and write down the measurements. Then you can always return to that tuning.

Jeff did us a wonderful favor by publishing numbers that sound very good on most guitars, even on open strings. I don't use his numbers, but they got me started on understanding how tuning works.

The steel guitar is the only real musical instrument that can make complete, justly tuned chords in every key. Jeff's chart gets you real close to that ideal on any good pedal steel. If you tune to his chart and still hear some annoying beats in the harmonies, twist the knobs a bit. Then write down how you changed it for future reference.

Sooner or later, though, you're gonna notice something strange about that 7th string. Evil Twisted

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 4:00 pm    

B0B

you mean you really found a use for that 7th string ?
hell i just thought it was there as a spacer between the 6th and 8th haha

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 4:15 pm    

When Jeff showed the E's tuned to 442 I liked how the other strings were closer to 440 and that's how I tune and it works for me and what works for you, works for you no matter what anyone else thinks!

Tony

Last edited by Tony Dingus on 7 Aug 2009 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 4:50 pm    

Myself, I tune the E's to 440 with A&B down. Then it's Jeff's newest chart the rest of the way. It works, especially now when I have some hearing loss and ringing in the ears. I think I have what y'all call tin ears...
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 4:55 pm    

b0b wrote:

Sooner or later, though, you're gonna notice something strange about that 7th string. Evil Twisted

bob I can get around the 7th ok. What I have some problem with is the 6th with A&F in action, it's flat. Can I tune that out or do I need a compensator?