| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 how to apply the 2 positions 1 up and 1 down
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 5:02 pm    

I've had several e-mails regarding this approach to the picking single note and harmony in Major, minor and 7th scales.
Most of the time in single line and harmony picking I use this.
Two positions, one using the major scale of the up position chord and one using the major scale of the down position chord. Example: The C up position would be the C chord at the 8th fret and the down position would be C at the 3rd fret.
The three modes that I'm using here are the Ionian, Dorian and Mixolydian of the major scale that are found within the up and down positions of the Major scale. In principle any major scale lick you play is also a 2m and a 5(7)lick as in C, Dm and G7. It is very useful to know what major you can play over a minor or a 7th but not limit yourself to playing just the up and down positions but use this as a tool to learn what major scales to use for your minor scales and 7th scales moving up the neck as well as across the neck to play harmony and double stops.

The above is for proof of theory and as you see the 2 minor and the 5(7th)are within the scale.
below shows positions for the 7th and minor on the neck relative to major up and down positions.
I hope this is useful and not too boring.
Note that the notes are shown on the neck where they are before they are pulled under the bar by pedals and levers

Below chart of most of the chords used in a key of C progressions and the frets that the up and down positions are found on. Learn where each is relative to the C and apply this to all the other keys.

I hope this is useful and not too boring.
Shane Glover

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 9:17 pm    

Thanks Bo,

It helps me to see it all written out in black & white and color !! Thanks again !