| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clyde Mattocks
Clint Queen

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2004 5:11 pm    

Clyde Mattocks has come out with a terrific new CD, "Over My Shoulder: the steel guitar album", and halfway through the first tune I knew I was going to really like this one. He is one of our senior pickers who has paid his dues and it really shows, with a lifetime behind the instrument. He is a great club player, with an impressive, clean and different style of playing -- whether it be a really fast tune or the slow ones we all like. Clyde gives humorous credits to the legends as he runs through some of their songs here. There are basically 13 songs, including 4 pure country vocals -- plus maybe a couple of short detours thrown in. You will not regret having this one for sure. Contact Skip Mertz for information at:
skipmertz@yahoo.com
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 1:42 am    

Clint is exactly right but I gotta say that when I heard Clyde had finished the CD, he and I talked and he sent me a copy along with the tracks. What a great project. Clyde has a style all his own and a humorous approach to life. He may be a senior but only because of the date he was born. You see Clyde still thinks he's 18 years old and I gotta tell you the energy he has is unmatched by most 18 year olds. It is also note worthy to mention that Clyde has spent much of his life working with young acts out there trying to make it. He readily teaches them and guides them along the way and he gives them the chance to perform and teaches them how to do it professionally. So it goes...Clyde Mattocks is a great steel player but he also plays a variety of other instruments and above all else he is a great guy who truly cares about his fellow man and our youths. Oh and did I say that CD is awesome.

Ray Walker
Clint Queen

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 6:03 am    

Thanks Ray, for filling in the squares. I never met him -- wish I had, he sounds like a pro's pro and a wonderful person. He deserves more recognition from the rest of our group.
Clint
Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 6:09 am    

In the 60's when I was stationed at Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC I use to go to the NCO club on Friday night and listen to Charlie Albertson and his band, he had a great Steel player in the band.
I ask John Floyd last year who that Steel Player might have been and I am sure he said Clyde Mattocks. Man did they have a great band. Clyde was great on the Steel.
I was at the Opry in 97 with Weldon and Jimmy Capps introduced us to a friend of his from NC named Charlie Albertson. The name at first didnt ring a bell so in a little while I ask him if he ever had a band and played at SJAFB, he said about every Friday night.
That was something getting to see him after 25 years. Small world.
Congratulations to Clyde on the new CD, I will have to get a copy.

Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 6:23 am    

I met Clyde over 30 years ago when I first moved to North Carolina. The Super Grit Cowboy Band is a very popular band in this area.
Clyde is a tremendous supporter of our Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association. He gets very involved in supporting the newby to the steel guitar.
This CD is the widest range of types of music on any steel intrumental album and well worth adding to your collection.
Thanks, Clyde for sharing your talent with us. Your support to me over the years has kept me going.

------------------
Vice President, MASGA
New Mullen U12 (2004)
Dekley 8/4 (1984)
ShoBud Professional (1969)D10 8/4

[This message was edited by Glen E. Lanning on 29 July 2004 at 07:24 AM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 1:04 pm    

I have a couple extra CDs & tracks I am bringing to the Tarboro MASGA Jam this upcoming Friday and Saturday. If anyone is wanting to purchase the CD and the rythm tracks, the price is $25 for both CDs. See me or Skip. The CD without the tracks is $15.

Everything said above about Clyde and his music is true and is, "all that."

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 3:47 pm    

I only have one thing to add to all that has been said above. Clyde Mattocks is someone that has a lot of respect for his fellow players and is as eager as anyone to learn a new lick that someone else has to show him. Clyde is one of the nicest people I know and I am glad to let everyone know how much respect I have for him as a a muscian, a performer, and as a person. I am glad that I can Say Clyde Mattocks is my friend. He has been there to Support the MASGA as we went through some growing pains and supported me as being President of the MASGA

Thanks Clyde for everything!

Ken Latchum
President MASGA
Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 5:01 pm    

Well, I will have to jump in with my comments about Clyde Mattocks, also. I met Clyde in 1974, when I was 17 years old. He and his next door neighbor/business partner,Claro Daughtey, built my first Cherokee push-pull pedal steel. They were great guitars built by two great guys! Unfortunely, Claro is no longer with us. Clyde has always been supportive in helping a new musician or even a seasoned one advance his/her art form. In 1975 I was playing steel with a gospel group. We recorded an album in Kinston, NC at the Sound Hut studio. Here is the real joke! The guy that was playing lead guitar on the album was none other than Clyde. How's that for intimidation! Clyde can tune a steel better than I can play one. However, he did not belittle my playing but only encouraged me then and as long as I have known him. There has got to be a special place in Heaven for musicians and people like Claro Daughtey and Clyde Mattocks. Thanks to both for helping me over the years! Vann
Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 5:50 pm    

I've got to add something else to further show the respect I have for Clyde.
Kenny Dail and I play every other Friday night at the Barn here in LaGrange, NC (Yep, thats right two steels on stage playing real country music). There have been many nights that Clyde will show up for the bluegrass music and play some of the best dobro you have ever heard. Then he will sit in playing lead guitar or bass with us in the country set. What an honor! Thanks to both Kenny and Clyde for the chance to play with two very knowledgable players!

------------------
Vice President, MASGA
New Mullen U12 (2004)
Dekley 8/4 (1984)
ShoBud Professional (1969)D10 8/4

Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2004 7:35 pm    

Well Folks,
Today I did something that I have never done in the 30 years that I have known my inspiration for playing pedal steel. I got chance at our Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Jam in Tarboro, NC to set up and play beside the man that got me started in 1974, Mr. Clyde Mattocks. It was a real honor for me to play and for him to nod his approval at me for my playing. He has done so much to help musicians get started and to continue their playing. Clyde has never hesitated to come to the assistance of a musician that needed his help. Clyde, I hope we know each other for many more years to come. The past 30 years has been a real honor for me to know you and to share your friendship, like so many other people do. Thanks! Your Friend, Vann