| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hands-free effect box adjustment Gizmo??
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 11:39 am    

Folks, I may be totally losing my mind, but I think I remember seeing a gizmo in "Vintage Guitar Magazine" while back.

It's like a volume pedal with a cable wire coming out of it, and when you operate the volume pedal, the cable "rotate". You attach the cable to one of the knob on effect box, so you can adjust the effect box while playing.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Or I'm totally gone insane??
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 11:49 am    

THIS?
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 11:56 am    

James, Bingo!!

Boy, so I didn't lose my mind after all( yet!!)

Thank you, now I can sleep~ Mr. Green
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 3:43 am    

Electro-Harmonix made such a thing back in the '80's, too. It had a longer cable, I think about 3 feet.
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 4:26 am    

Rich, do you remember the name of E-H product?

<H>
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 4:50 am    

Hiro, I don't recall the name. It was black, cast aluminum, and longer and wider than a typical wah-wah pedal. I think it was adapted from a volume pedal made by EH. The cable attached at the side, instead of on top, which would be better, both for appearance and so the weight of the cable doesn't tip the pedal over.

Local store got one in, I didn't grab it in time, and then the company fizzled. But it was built stronger than the T.I.P. unit. Don't know if many were made.
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 5:03 am    

Hmmm... You know what I'm trying to do, right? LIke Webb 614E came with remote contorl for reverb. (You can attach that on the leg, and you can tweak it on the fly.)

I'm trying to do stuff like that with Digitech Hardwire reverb( or delay, whatever~), now, I don't know where is the good place to have this pedal on the floor...The concept is, without letting go neither of hands off the strings,we can tweak the effect by foot. Confused
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 7:53 am    

Hiro, you could get one of the Fender volume/tone pedals, and rewire it so the swivel gave you the control signal instead of being a tone control. You would still have both hands and your left foot free for the steel.
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 8:14 am    

I love the idea of that 3rd hand pedal with the flex cable coming out of it. Brilliant. Just think of the possibilities. Control the delay level on a delay pedal. Control the amount of drive on an overdrive pedal. Control the speed of a phaser or chorus. On and on. I think it's quite clever and 19th century simple.

Brad
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 9:06 am    

Rich Peterson wrote:
Hiro, you could get one of the Fender volume/tone pedals, and rewire it so the swivel gave you the control signal instead of being a tone control. You would still have both hands and your left foot free for the steel.

I've had my Fender v/t pedal modded to be an expression pedal swivel. I'm about to mod it to be a panner.
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 12:55 pm    

Well, technically, we can find out the value of one of the pot that you like to turn on your stompbox, and and use that value of pot installed in another volume pedal, and hardwired them to the stompbox will do the same...

But this 3rd hand makes experimentation a little easier, and no-invasive mod there.

Again, technically, if we have long enough cable with some mechanical rigging, I don't see why not one of knee lever can do the same thing...

Actually, wouldn't that be cool to end the song with your right foot swelling volume and left foot stepping on AB pedal while tweaking reverb/delay with a jnee lever??? Very Happy
Julian Goldwhite

Alhambra, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 12:58 pm    

The Electro-Harmonix pedal was called the Hot Foot. I have one, great idea, but you do need to have both it and the pedal that it is controlling locked down or the torque will just twist the pedal around rather than twist the knob.
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:02 pm    

Julian, I can see that problem already~

Alright, so we need to strap them both on a board or something. But as Brad said, it's so 19th century approach, it should be simple, and idiot proof Mr. Green
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:07 pm    

Now that I know what you are trying to do, have a look at this--

http://www.optionknob.com/

So stupidly simple and low tech and it might be perfect for your needs.
If it interests you, shop around online because I've seen lower prices than their factory direct price.
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:22 pm    

That Option Knob is simple genius. Thanks Jon!
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:24 pm    

Jon, I know that plastic "wing" thing, but I'm afraid to snap the shaft of pot by kicking this "wing" by mistake...

Trust me, it's a great idea, thou.

(I think it's hard to fine-adjust the swell with this "wing", what do you think??)
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:28 pm    

Never used one---no...I can't see it for fine tuning (at least not by foot....I keep everything at finger's reach and I could see that wing being easier than trying to get at some small knobs with picks on. May make something like it for myself.)
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 1:39 pm    

Well, you got the point, if we mount the box on the leg, the wing certainly make it easier to turn with picks for sure.

if I mounted right, I may be able to hit that with my elbow...Then again, my $350 Maxon AD-9Pro snaps it's knob, I'll be very,very sad. Sad
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2009 4:46 pm    

OK, folks, so I bought it( you knew that was coming~).

First, with delay, you get really interesting effect out of it. while playing, you boost up the delay amount, and it's pretty cool.

I tried Overdrive box, and you get what you expected. Now, I hooked this sucker to a compressor!! you can control attack and decay now by foot!!

Warning Maxon AD-9Pro Users!!
Those knobs won't come out easily, I even had to quit trying to take it off because I didn't want to distory $300 pedal. Don't even try it, you'll be very sad if you break that. Oh Well

So far, it's fun, but for pedal steel, pretty much all of your body parts are already doing their tasks, so taking a foot off from either pedals or Vol.pedal to tweak this foot pedal is not very comfortable...Tele player, that's another story. Very Happy