| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel Guitar App for iPhone
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 4:27 am    

http://www.yonac.com/software/steelguitar/index.html
http://www.yonac.com/software/steelguitar/screens.html

Here is something I wasn't expecting to stumble across - a fun little steel guitar sim for iPhone and iPod Touch. The bad news is it doesn't sound much like a steel guitar (ignore the marketing hype) but with a couple of tweaks it might develop into something really useful so I encourage forumites to download it and try it out.

Using the tilt function to do raises and lowers is a great idea but it is considerably harder to play than the real thing! You can customise your pulls so that for example an EF combination is possible by tilting both sideways and vertically.

Being able to set up and try out tunings and copedents for 6 & 8 string lap and E9 or C6 pedal steel is what makes this thing REALLY interesting. Imagine if you could display scale overlays for any custom tuning...

My main gripe is not being able to mute strings, so playing single note scales is currently all but impossible (unless you engage the less than practical tilt activated volume pedal). You also have to keep one finger on the bar, which seems unnecessary in software - although it does allow you to do hammer ons/pull offs.

I hope we can get the developer on here to discuss the app's potential. Although it's a fun application aimed at the general market, with enough downloads and positive encouragement I think the programmers could be persuaded to add a few pro features and options.
Darren James

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 10:59 am    

Have you tried any of the iPhone guitar tuners that is out now? I saw where Peterson has one. The Cleartune one supports tempered tunings. I haven't used any of them, and they seem like they'd be useless except for sitting in your bedroom, but they are neat nonetheless.
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 4:46 am    

Some of the apps for guitar players are terrific but it's nice to have something specifically steel guitar orientated. In its current form "Steel Guitar" lets you test out different copedents and tunings - surely worth 99 cents (59p)!

It's a short jump from this to a pocket chord finder/scale tutor for any steel guitar tuning/copedent you can think up. I hate to sound like a salesman for something I have nothing to do with but I think it could be something worth supporting. Anyone tried it yet?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2009 8:55 am     bump

i downloaded it. its just 59 pence. try it out. its good fun.