| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack Perkins Tone Bars
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2009 2:47 pm    

Anyone tried one of Jack Perkin's bars. I played one at Bobby Bowman's house the other day. It's pretty amazing. This was one of his newest bars, not the T Bar.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 7:25 am    

Does it still rattle from the 'secret stuff' inside like his original bars? I've got one of those rattlers somewhere. It never did anything special for me, although Jack is certainly an 'interesting' individual.. Smile
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 7:47 am     Tony Bar

Yea, Bill, I think you nailed it. However, I did play one of his newest bars the other day a Bowman's house. It made a huge difference, for the better, tonewise. I'm having him ship me one.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 8:05 am    

Are they magnetic?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 8:12 am     Re: Tony Bar

Tony Wilcox wrote:
It made a huge difference, for the better, tonewise.

In what way, exactly? Fuller sound? Better bass? More treble? Added sustain? None of the above?
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2009 1:03 pm     Tone Bar

Jim, there are no magnets that I know of. Of course, according to Jack, this is all G-14 Classified. If you've ever talked to him, you know what I'm talking about.

Donny, all I can figure, is that what ever Jack puts inside these bars, takes most all of the muddy overtones out of your tone, somehow, and cleans everything up. I was getting almost double the sustain that I was used to. I'm not trying to sell anyone on these bars, I was just wondering if anyone other than Bowman, who gets a fabulous tone with whatever bar he uses, uses one.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 7:13 am    

Quote:
Are they magnetic?

Jim, I think that's one of Jack's other product families. Smile

I think I've told this story before, but Jack used to hang out a club I played at in Kerrville, TX. He always showed up with some of his bars and sat at a table right in front of the stage. In the course of the evening he'd ask you to try some of his bars, and I usually obliged.

Well one night he showed up with a roll of magnetic tape that he bought at Radio Shack I think, and told me that by placing the magnetic tape in strategic places on your gear you could improve the tone, sustain, etc. So he stuck a couple of pieces on the end plates of my guitar and asked me if I heard the difference. Uh.. no..

I went on a break and came back and Jack had stuck that magnetic tape all over everything; the connectors on my cables, around the microphone on the amp, and lastly RIGHT ON TOP OF THE DECAL ON THE PEGHEAD OF MY '62 STRAT! Argh!!! I was hot, but carefully pulled the tape off without damage, and informed Jack that I'd rather he ask me before sticking that stuff all over.

I really like Jack, and there's not a bigger steel guitar fan anywhere. Let's just say he's a bit eccentric.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 8:02 am     Re: Tone Bar

Tony Wilcox wrote:
...all I can figure, is that what ever Jack puts inside these bars, takes most all of the muddy overtones out of your tone, somehow, and cleans everything up. I was getting almost double the sustain that I was used to.

Do you mean there's something loose, or rattling around in there? (I've seen bars with BB's, or even tuning forks in them!)

I'm satisfied that three things seem to affect the "sound" of a bar - the density (read: weight), the diameter, and the surface hardness. That said, the differences between similar bars is really minimal. For instance, I've often heard players say that a __________ bar sounds better than a _________, but I would expect that - since one is solid and the other is hollow!

I guess my main point is, I can't listen to a player and tell you (with any reliability) what kind of bar he's using, unless it's made of a radically different material (like glass or Bakelite).

Can I hear the difference between a glass bar and a chrome bar? Usually, but I doubt that I (or anyone else) can tell the difference between similar solid bars by listening to the player.

All IMHO, of course. Oh Well I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm merely reflecting my own experience down through the years.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2009 9:58 am    

what are the magical secret variables involved in a well polished solid stainless bar?
Jerry Foster

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2011 6:54 pm     jack perkins tone bars

Hi Folks! I Have two of jacks tone BAR'S & I love Them both, I met Jack at the Dallas show four years ago, I was working with Fred Justice at the Justice Steel guitar booth & Jack Came by & ask me to try The T-bar so I did & I bought it Very Happy, then two years ago he came by the booth & I bought the super sustain bar Very Happy I still use them both, the T-bar is a 1" & the S&S bar is a 7/8's. they Both have great tone. if you see jack tell him Jerry Foster said hi. thanks
Jason Burt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2011 9:19 pm     For what it's worth

I guess you could say that I'm the newest inducte into this super sustain tone bar club. I met "magnet jack" last night while playing a gig at the 11th street bar in Bandera Tx.
I've played for 15+ years with just a standard Dunlop bar. Or is it Dunlap? Ha ha ha. Doesn't really matter. I played off and on with jack's SS bar all night. I hate to admit it, but it is a much better bar than mine. The differences are slight, and yet HUGE!!! Ha ha ha. Initially I could say that it seemed to add a certain brightness to my overall tone, which I am not usually a fan of. I like my tone to be fat and in charge!! But to say that it added "highs" to the tone would not really explain the phenomenon. It seemed to reduce certain overtones that tend to muddy up the tone. The upper range of my tone got somehow cleaner and sharper but in a very smooth way. Not like reaching over and cranking up your treble or presence knob. Lol

Now for what sold me on this bar. It felt like butter on the strings, made great contact with the strings (no added pressure needed) it was lightweight. (or atleast lighter than it's size would be for a solid core bar. AND!!!!!! I heard my steel better "in the mix". It was almost as if I was running through a BBE and had turned the unit on. Eventually, every time I played with my usual bar the muddiness and dullness of it was more and more appearant. So, this is where I come back to my earlier statement about differences being "slight and yet HUGE". If your just practicing at home alone, a good ear will pick up on the slight differences. But in a live performance setting, it's a home run. I can't think of any other way to explain it!! It made my tone cleaner, less muddy, and really pulled my steel out from "under" the general mix.

Now, maybe I've just been playing a crappy old bar far beyond it's prime?? Who knows?!?! All I know is that it was far better than what I had been using. I'll have to make a return visit later after I see the difference it makes in the studio. I'm betting that it will. For the better.

Now all I have to do is learn how to play this crazy instrument!!! Ha ha ha

Last edited by Jason Burt on 23 May 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Wilcox

Humble, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 1:42 am     Tone Bar

You just might be surprised to know who all use this bar!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 4:46 pm    

so, surprise us...!
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 9:41 pm     ????

Chris,
Trust me,,,,he can't.
Just use your imagination as to who and you'll probably be right. (hint,,,go to the very top of the heap) Smile
I'll throw in my 2 cents too,,,out of the eight bars I have, it's as good or better than any of them. Mine is a 15/16'th's X 3 1/4". Absolutely amazing bar.
BB
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 23 May 2011 9:56 pm    

Does Jack have a website with info on the bar? Where can I buy one.

Bill

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 3:58 am    

Jack doesn't have a website, but here's his contact info:

Jack Perkins
2107 Dena Dr.
Kerrville, TX 78028

830-895-3253
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 6:29 am    

I've tried calling that number repeatedly. It just rings and rings. I'd really like to get one of the light bars. Is there another way to get in touch with Jack?

I sprained my left wrist a couple of years ago. Buddy showed me his bar that when you shook it, it would tinkle like a deadened bell. It was lighter and still sounded good. He couldn't remember where he got it or what brand it was. This sounds like the right one.

www.BuddyEmmons.com
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 6:40 am    

Ernie, I'm sure that's the bar, never seen another one like it. Did you try mailing him at that address?

Jack is about as techno-savvy as a rock, bless his heart Smile, so I don't really know how to run him down. You might post a new topic with the headline that you're trying to find him, and somebody down Kerrville way may see it and respond.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 9:52 am    

I just don't have an ear for the finer aspects of tone, I guess. I still use my BJS bars.

About 18-20 years ago, Jack came up to me at a Johnny Bush gig in Bandera TX and handed me one of his bars to try out. He said that once I held one of his bars and heard the sound, I'd never go back to using my BJS.

Well, I tried one of his bars during the next set and didn't hear any difference, and it wasn't as smooth a feel as my BJS. Not wanting to offend, I simply told him I was full-up on bars but wished him luck in his venture.

He asked me if I would consider the new bar if he gave me the "special picker's price" (would a non-picker want a steel guitar bar?) of only $125.00? A hundred twenty five bucks?!?! Surprised I declined his admittedly "generous" offer.

Next Bush gig at the Cabaret, about 6 months later, Jack showed up and was sticking magnets on everything, like Bill Terry described. I think Bush might still have one on his nylon-string guitar. We all know how magnetism positively affects wood and nylon, of course.

The mold was definitely broken when they made Jack, no lie! I still enjoy running into him every now and then, though. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 10:07 am     jack perkins bars

I had called him after first reading this post months ago just to ask him about his bars - it was an interesting conversation - Jack is Jack. He called me about month later asking me if I was still interested and I couldn't say no - I bought one of his bars. I'm such a rank beginner that I don't know if it makes a tonal difference or not, but it's a fun bar to play with - and I got to talk to Jack twice.

That's worth the price of the bar.

We need to support the guys that make the world a more interesting place.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 11:10 am    

Say, what IS the price of the bar nowadays? Inquiring minds want to know.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2011 11:57 am    

Herb, I bought one earlier this summer when I talked with Jack at a gig in Bandera. He asked me not make public what he charged me for it. Call me if you wanna know.. Smile

Sidebar: It was the last of a particular batch and he was trying to get some cash together to pay for another production run, so after I refused his price twice (like you, I have a BJS that I like, didn't really need it) he reduced the asking price a couple more times and finally got low enough that I bought it.

I think he told me that retail was 150.00, but I could be remembering wrong.... That's definitely in the ballpark.

Edited to add: Even though I got a good price, I still wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't liked it, and I did.
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 3:43 pm     Great Bars.

I Got Jacks Bar and Like Bobby Bowman says Its My Favorite! Randy Gilliam. Very Happy
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 5:56 pm     Jack is really a character

I had the pleasure of sharing a hotel room about 8 years ago with him and Butch Cornwell. An interesting experience to say the least. Jack's a character but he is a nice guy.

Wayne
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 11:12 am    

Wayne, Jack and Butch in the same hotel room !!!!!
Would love to have been a fly on a wall in that room. hee hee.